supplementing a breast-fed baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-25-2007, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First, let me say I nursed my daughter to 12 months and am eager to do the same for my son. I have returned to work and cannot keep up with his appetite through pumping breast milk alone. While I wish I could maintain the milk supply, I realize I need to supplement a couple feedings a day with a formula (the dreaded 7-letter word!). Please don't admonish my decision. I've already given myself permission to supplement and am looking for advice on possible supplementary formulas. Thank you in advance for your help. This community of moms is just fantastic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2007, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you looked at everything like how much the care provider is giving him, vs. how much he really needs, etc? It seems like many care providers think BF babies need large volumes of milk, and its not always true. My giant babies (DS 23lb at 6mo, DD a more petite 18lb at 6mo), never took more than about 12-14 oz in the 10 hours I'm gone from home to work. I also encouraged both babies to reverse cycle. I night-nursed DS for 15mo, and with DD we're still feeding every 2-3 hours at night at 6mo. That's fine with me, and we co-sleep, so it doesn't fragment my sleep too much.

As to supplements, I think the safest formulas are the hypoallergenic ones, they do not contain whole cow's milk proteins. I am not sure on the corn syrup with those, if that's important to you. I'd choose something like Alimentum or Pregestamil before soy, and before an organic whole cow's milk one. But that's my priorities. You'll have to figure out which formula related risks are the largest concern for you, and then choose accordingly.

User Tag List