8 day old baby, just wondering - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-25-2007, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD2 is 8 days and feeds like a trooper. she tends to cluster feed then sleep a long stretch then cluster feed then sleep a long stretch. for past 2 nights shes gone 10/11pm till 4/5am tho i have woken at 2am wanting to feed her but shes shown no interest or takes a few sucks pops off and goes to sleep. does this sound OK or should i make more effort to get her to take a feed at 2am or just let her be?
i co-sleep so i end up dozing off while shes feeding at 4am so i have no idea how long she feeds for.

Also for past 2 days i have noticed her burps have had a "eggy" smell to them. DH adn DS have ahd loose motions over the past few days and i did this morning, could it be something i have eaten thas affected her?

other wise she seems fine. plently of wet/dirty diapers

thanks

Kiz
#2 of 9 Old 09-25-2007, 04:24 PM

i think that babies will generally eat when they're hungry so i would be enjoying that stretch of sleep while it lasts.

some people attribute that sulphur smell to dairy in the mom's diet but who knows? there's a lot of great information at

http://www.kellymom.com/

good luck and congratulations!
#3 of 9 Old 09-25-2007, 04:27 PM

congratulations

I have been told with both babies by docs, la leche league leaders, and lactation consultants that babies should eat every two hours for the first few weeks, until they have gained weight. I guess after they gain weight, you can feed on demand. Has she gained? If not, I would try waking her up more in the am by taking her clothes off. This is what I did with both of mine per recommendations. When they are naked, except for dipe, they wake up and nurse better.
#4 of 9 Old 09-25-2007, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

i dunno if she has gained at all she ahs not been weighed since birth. my MW has said just to keep demand feeding her as shes eatting fiarly regularly during the day i havent even bothered to see how often shes is feeding as i just either feed when she starts rooting or i will wake her to feed when my boobs get full, but its no more than 2 1/2 hours at a time anyway.
with 3 other kids its hard to find time to feed her every 2 hours im lucky at the mo as DH is still home till friday but after that im just gonna have to work things as best i can.
thanks for replys

Kiz
#5 of 9 Old 09-25-2007, 08:22 PM

Is she having plenty of wet and dirty diapers? If so, I wouldn't worry a bit.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#6 of 9 Old 09-26-2007, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter

yeah lots of wet and dirty diapers.

she did it again last night. fed loads between 7-9 had a nother feed at 10 when i went to bed and slept till 2ish woke a bit took a very small feed adn went back to sleep till 4/5am

thanks again

Kiz
#7 of 9 Old 09-26-2007, 04:13 PM

Sounds like she's doing okay. My personal comfort level is for them to eat at least every three hours for the first couple of weeks.

But, if she's a cluster feeder, she must be tanking up in the evening.

Personally, I'd have her weighed just to cover all the bases.

Congratulations!
#8 of 9 Old 09-26-2007, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

yeah shes a tanker alright morning and evening so shes goes tha afternoon adn night sleeping, i am seeing my Health Visitor tomorrow so i think she will be weighed, well she should cos i missed my midwife discharge visit cos i took DD to playgroup (as i was told to by MW she said keep things normal and ill call if i cant make it intime (clinic overruns a LOT on a wednesday and i forgot she didnt have my new number!!!) if she doesnt get weighed tomorrow it will be monday. think ill call HV and ask her to bring scales just incase.

thanks girls
im gonna try to enjoy the sleep

kiz
#9 of 9 Old 09-27-2007, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Health Visitor weighed Evangeline today and shes lost 2oz, but the poop she did thisamorning could have been an oz easy!!!

HV is not worriied at all and she is still cluster feeding morning sleeping in afternoon cluster feein in evening and sleeping 10-4/5am

kiz

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page