IS Breastfeeding "Easier" than FF? - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 420 Old 10-02-2007, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFashionedGirl View Post
Yes, I DO wish that more had been said/printed/etc... about the difficulties that can occur in BFing, instead of just "poo-poohing" them as if they happen only once in a blue moon. I read a lot, on here, the internet, and books, about bfing. NOT ONCE did I see anything about "flat nipples." Imagine my surprise when the nurse looked at my nipples in disgust and shoved a sheild at me.
I really don't know how people are so in the "dark" about BFing seriously, I took a 1 hour class from the hospital that was offered like 20 times throught my pregnancy and learned about flat nipples, supply and demand, engorgment, plugged ducts, mastits, holding postions, how your partner can assist you and LOTS more in 1 hour of my time or read ANY pregnancy book including Babywise and it will have tips on latch, nipple problems...... really I don't see how someone could be unprepared/not told about the difficulties of bfing.... I mean if its not talked about why is there a Breastfeeding Chalenges forum?
#302 of 420 Old 10-02-2007, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra375 View Post
Does she not know that is a dairy intolerance or soy or corn??? DO doctors not know this??? Even then sometimes they still throw up, it's GERD.
Oh..... I don't think shes on WIC and think she just buys the cheapest formula available which obviously her dd doesn't tolerate.... this is very judgy but she really isn't very "aware" of her dd's needs....
#303 of 420 Old 10-02-2007, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by treqi View Post
I really don't know how people are so in the "dark" about BFing seriously, I took a 1 hour class from the hospital that was offered like 20 times throught my pregnancy and learned about flat nipples, supply and demand, engorgment, plugged ducts, mastits, holding postions, how your partner can assist you and LOTS more in 1 hour of my time or read ANY pregnancy book including Babywise and it will have tips on latch, nipple problems...... really I don't see how someone could be unprepared/not told about the difficulties of bfing.... I mean if its not talked about why is there a Breastfeeding Chalenges forum?
I think the problem is that there's rarely a balanced approach. It's either all sunshine and roses and happy woodland animals skipping around you will you nurse in a field of flowers, or hamburger nipples, breast infections, and half your breast in a pool of blood on your sheet because your teething baby bit you. I haven't seen a whole lot of info out there that's middle of the road.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#304 of 420 Old 10-02-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
BAH to you hippes that don't wear bras!

IME the only time I've ever FFed was someone elses babe and it was hella hard cause it took 2 hands (I didn't sling the babe untill it had "thrown up" like the mom said it would cause it happens every time )

Poor baby. Who wants to throw up after every meal?

I somehow managed to perfect hands-free bottle feeding with DS in the Moby when he was smaller. It must have been funny to see. I suppose technically that counts as bottle propping but erm he was on my chest so I could reach him if he choked (he never did). Plus he was still getting snuggly time.

You know what is HORRIBLE though? Did you ever see those contraptions that advertise to "moms too busy for constant feeding" that are basically a pacifier with a tube connected to a bottle of milk... Who is too busy to feed their child?! What's more important than that? DH bought one for me and I was livid... Then he claimed it was a joke. I considered cutting out a sports bra with the pacifier part sticking it out of it like a nipple would, then it would be pseudo-nursing (minus the good old bm ) but I never got around to it. But the idea is to basically set your baby down somewhere and have him eat alone while you go off doing other stuff. Terrible.
#305 of 420 Old 10-02-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
I think the problem is that there's rarely a balanced approach. It's either all sunshine and roses and happy woodland animals skipping around you will you nurse in a field of flowers, or hamburger nipples, breast infections, and half your breast in a pool of blood on your sheet because your teething baby bit you. I haven't seen a whole lot of info out there that's middle of the road.

That's so true.
#306 of 420 Old 10-02-2007, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
It is different everywhere. Because it was easy for you with what was available to you does not mean the same for everyone.

I also took a bf class. I was already going to bf, and all the women in my family had. I knew enough. But the LC jokingly told our childbirth class that our milk wouldn't come in if we didn't go to the bf class and that formula was just fine and there's no reason not to use it.

I knew that was a load, but some women there looked scared. She went over some problems with handouts that were useful, but she still scared some people. Not to mention how she talked about "those militant LLLers", etc...

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#307 of 420 Old 10-02-2007, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
Then please please please go back and edit the word formula in, even if it makes our replies to you nonsensical. This thread is going tot sit in cyberspace forever, and some uniformed and impressionable people might come along and start feeding their child unmodified goats milk because of it.

Phew, so you WERE feeding him a formula. I don't know why you didn't just say that at the beginning instead of trying to defend straight goats milk.

No, you've been consistently saying the straight unmodified goats milk is BETTER than a formula (modifed to alter fat, carb, protein and vitamin content). And that is truly dangerous, which is why we've been correcting you.
Wannabe...I have said over and over that I used a formula that I made at home. I think that you are the only person who is confused.

Many people PM'd asking for the recipe...I REALLY think you should re-read the things that I have posted.

There were posts where I typed "Goats Milk" because I have mentioned so many times that I was using a home made formula. I never once said that I had given him straight Goat's Milk, or suggested that anyone should do that. I said Goats milk formula many many times. I feel like you are just looking for something to attack me for. : : :

Also, ITA w/PP's about holding babe while drinking a bottle. My son was never propped, and the only time he ever had a bottle without someone holding him or snuggling his was if we were driving. Many people do not bottle prop, or allow their kids to roam around with a bottle in their mouth. It was very important to us to maintain that special connection and closeness.
#308 of 420 Old 10-02-2007, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truemists View Post
You know what is HORRIBLE though? Did you ever see those contraptions that advertise to "moms too busy for constant feeding" that are basically a pacifier with a tube connected to a bottle of milk... Who is too busy to feed their child?!
People with other children to feed?

I wouldn't shell out money for something like that, but it sure would come in handy when my 2yo is crying for his lunch and the baby is hungry at the same time. And I admit that when I was supplementing, I occasionally propped up a bottle on a blanket for him so that I could take care of my toddler for a minute without the baby screaming.
#309 of 420 Old 10-02-2007, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Everyone on here--and frankly, a lot in this very thread!--make it sound like all anyone ever has to do is "lift [shirt] and latch!" And you enter into the land of puppies and rainbows. Every book I read had only a very brief chapter on problems/challenges.

My hospital offered a class--unfortunately, by time it was mentioned/offered to me, the class before my DD had passed, and the next one wasn't offered until DS was 2 mo. old. Nothing like "too little, too late."

And frankly, I hadn't realized there was a bfing challenges forum until long after I had given up. It hadn't occurred to me to look for one--why would it? Isn't bfing easy for everyone?

Oh, and one more thing--all the different holds and positions. READING about them is one thing. EXECUTING them on your own is another. I LOVED the football hold. Unfortunately, the only time I could ever get it to work, was the one time one helpful nurse came in to show me. I never could get it positioned right on my own after that. There are some things that are best shown in person, hands on--which the all the reading in the world can't do. And while I do have a LLL in my area, I did not have a way to get the meetings.

Honestly, whether you or anyone else can "believe" that someone else can be so in the dark about bfing is irrelevant. This thread has clearly shown that I'm not the only one. We're not stupid. We're just ill-informed, with little to no real-life support system.
#310 of 420 Old 10-02-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Clearly you didn't read my post where I described the BFing class I took. Essentially, it was all roses and sunshine and when I had asked about plugged ducts and mastitis, I was basically told I didn't need to worry about it because it rarely happens.

I also said that even knowing about all that, it didn't help me because the problem was with my baby. Pretty much all the BFing troubles I read about have to do with mom, such as leaking, plugged ducts, mastitis, positioning, safe foods/meds, etc. I never saw mentioned that a healthy, full-term baby would not be able to suck properly without a lot of help (in my DD's case it was because she wasn't putting her tongue in the right place). Everything I read said that if baby wouldn't suck, it was because mom gave baby a bottle or pacifier and thus her fault. I never saw anywhere that said that baby can have a problem that's nobody's fault, outside of cleft palate/lip.

And the BFing challenges forum. . you do realize that it's been a fairly recent addition, right? And I think it was added because this is MDC, where most people are interested in breastfeeding. So it's a place where like-minded mamas can join in discussing issues. The few other boards I've visited on occasion might have a BFing board, but definitely no place to specifically discuss issues. Besides, there isn't nearly as much knowledge there as there is here, and when you encounter a problem, people pretty much tell you to just switch to bottle feeding and formula because "it's the same thing".

Mama to Boy (2) and Girl (5)
#311 of 420 Old 10-02-2007, 03:33 PM

One more thing--not entirely related.

I just did a search on here on flat nipples--my specific problem--and found nothing.
#312 of 420 Old 10-02-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookel View Post

I wouldn't shell out money for something like that, but it sure would come in handy when my 2yo is crying for his lunch and the baby is hungry at the same time. And I admit that when I was supplementing, I occasionally propped up a bottle on a blanket for him so that I could take care of my toddler for a minute without the baby screaming.
Mmm good point. I'm definitely not looking forward to having two babies in the house who don't know what patience is yet. I think that's why my pregnancy is going so fast - I'm almost dreading the day my sweet second Bunny joins the outside world - at least while (s)he is inside, I don't have to worry about who to feed first.
#313 of 420 Old 10-02-2007, 03:54 PM

Those paci hose contraptions have me really LOL. I might have used one in my unknowning days w ds1 (poor kid, being the first) in the car for sure, not around the house. I did a lot of traveling w him visiting my ailing grandmother 1 to 2 times per month, it's a 4 hour drive, once it took me 7 hours to get home -- he would not be contented. He screamed and I stopped, it was a nightmare of a trip home. He just kept wanting more to eat.

Before this #4 could hold his bottle, my dd would feed him, she's 3. She or her other brothers would while I fixed dinner. She understands the bottles have mimi milk in them. Now #4 is able to hold his own and he does sometimes when I'm busy with the others. I didn't really know he could do this until I had to put him down one day to break up 2 from killing each other and I came back and he was feeding himself...

It isn't as hard a laugh as a Wee Wee Tee Pee... OMG someone is making a killing off of moms who must have EVERY THING, too bad the moms don't realize you have to wash it or if you don't circ, the wee wee to the air thing just does not happen (or at least it hasn't to my uncirced baby).
#314 of 420 Old 10-02-2007, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellMcK View Post
Speaking as a mom who was able to breastfeed for a while but switched to formula (not going to go into my story here - that's not the point) - I feel that breastfeeding would have been much more convenient:
- can feed wherever, whenever, don't need to wonder if you packed all your feeding supplies in the diaper bag
- you don't have to worry about when you're going to run out, or where to buy on sale, who's got it on sale, and do I have a coupon somewhere?
- there are nipples to wash but it's no big deal since you're in the shower anyway
- no having to make bottles!

I really think that breastfeeding is way more convenient than formula feeding.
That was certainly my experience. I remember when I was working towards all FF that there was one time in particular when ds really wanted to eat NOW and since I was still recovering from my c/s I absolutely did not want to get up and make a bottle. Even with all of the struggles that I went through I still wish it had been enough to keep me bf'ing. It certainly would have been a great deal cheaper!
#315 of 420 Old 10-02-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:

Yeah, yet another reason BFing is easier. Once a BF baby is latched you can go about your business one handed (or hands free with sling). Bottle fed babies neeed two hands and your undivided attention.

BTW, they're called podee bottles, and their *legitimate* use is for mothers of multiples (esp 3 or more) and mothers with disabilities.
#316 of 420 Old 10-02-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Or even based on identifying and solving problems. "oh, I had TERRIBLE split nipples, but wow, when I started using lanolin and airing them, it made SUCH a difference" type of thing.
#317 of 420 Old 10-02-2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:
He held his own BOTTLE - we had to hold HIM. I don't know how common it is, but most people I know with bottlefed babies make a habit of holding their kids during feedings. Honestly, I don't think it always has to be this big bonding thing anyway. Anyone who's ever typed "nak" is obviously not just sitting around lovingly bonding with their kids while nursing.
Naking is a lot more bonding than handing the kid a bottle they then wander off with. (as my toddler is doing right now with a cup of cow's milk and some apple)

And I'm not sure why you had to hold your baby while he held his own bottle. Most kids can sit unsupported by 7/8/9 months. In any case, the people I know who bottle feed and whose kids can't crawl yet put the child in a bouncy seat and hand them the bottle.
#318 of 420 Old 10-02-2007, 04:40 PM

*shrug* I held my boy until he was nearly 2. He held his bottle, to be sure, but had to be on my lap. He still takes every 3rd bottle or so while I hold him, and I do have to hold him.

Until he started to drink by himself, I would say we got an awful lot of bonding in. I'm not all that mainstream, I suppose. He just liked to cuddle with me while he had his milkies. He still nuzzles my breasts when he wants milk, and I haven't nursed him in, oh, 25 months?
#319 of 420 Old 10-02-2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Naking is a lot more bonding than handing the kid a bottle they then wander off with. (as my toddler is doing right now with a cup of cow's milk and some apple)

And I'm not sure why you had to hold your baby while he held his own bottle. Most kids can sit unsupported by 7/8/9 months. In any case, the people I know who bottle feed and whose kids can't crawl yet put the child in a bouncy seat and hand them the bottle.
My DS (8 mo) has been sitting unassisted since 6 mo, and crawling for about a month and a half. He is more than capable of holding the bottle himself. BUT, he won't. I "have" to hold him and the bottle when I feed him. I do not find this to be a burden. Nor, as someone else suggested earlier on, have I ever been annoyed that I had to drop everything to feed him. He's pretty predictable about needing to eat; it's not as if it's a surprise when it happens.

Additionally, for those who brag about how you can bf and do something else at the same time, I've gotten pretty good at holding him and the bottle with one hand (while sitting in a chair, obviously) and eating (something simple, like a sandwhich) or reading with the other. Which, I'm sure someone else will take as me failing to bond w/ my child. *Shrug* I can't win.
#320 of 420 Old 10-02-2007, 05:15 PM

We have found that bfing is easier. I personally before I had DD never knew how to even mix a bottle. Once we found out that DD was preemie, and "needed" supplements cause they thought she wasnt growing, I was confused and DP had to mix the supplements.
Then we started to look into how much this special preemie formula that the doc wanted her to have was gonna cost. : Also then found out that WIC didnt provide this at the time.
So we started to supplement with EBM. DP was still able to feed DD and we were still bfing. I just recently read the directions on a can of formula for a friends baby that I watch. This was my first true experience actually mixing formula. It was really messy trying to hold baby and mix a bottle at the same time. By the time I was done she was hyperventilating.
I have had a rough start with DD bfing, but because the hospital provided me with a great follow up at home nurse and support system, I was able to have a successful bfing relationship.
As far as feeling tied down, we didnt have a choice because of DD's medical problems we were not able to afford child care for me to go back to work or even to find a qualified caregiver for us to have a nite out.
We have been out 3 times since DD was born(now 22mo) on our own.
I also had major issues when I was in the room and DD was being fed by DP. She would NOT take a bottle from him. I had to be completly gone in order for him to successfully feed her.
I just couldnt get her to bottle feed with BM or formula. I just thought it was totally easier in my situation to bf her.

Mom to Bouncy Breastfed fly-by-nursing1.gifDD energy.gifLoving Woman to DH, RIP DS Born at 22 weeks  ribbonpb.gif

#321 of 420 Old 10-02-2007, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Crazydiamond, you raise a very, very good point. The support we have for breastfeeding isn't built-in support, it's support that you have to go out and find yourself, as if breastfeeding is one of those extras that you need to finance yourself if you have problems. I have heard of many cases where the policies in the hospitals and the attitudes of the HCPs mean that it is almost impossible to exclusively breastfeed from day one. If there are medical issues surrounding breastfeeding, the idea that we need to fix them so breastfeeding can work is almost non-existent. Usually any sign that there is trouble with breastfeeding means to move to bottle feeding.

I think a lot of people in the lactation or breastfeeding counseling field can be guilty of this too because the attitudes surrounding bottle vs. breast are so charged. People are afraid of being seen as intolerant of mother's choices or contradicting what a doctor might say because of potential repurcussions. (And, yes, I am quite serious about this, in case anyone was going to ask that.) Then there is the fact that some LCs aren't really all that knowledgeable, and may possibly be overcommitted with the number of people they have to serve because having IBCLCs and a good lactation department is not a priority for many hospitals.
#322 of 420 Old 10-02-2007, 05:18 PM

havent' read the whole thread, it's huge...just responding to the original question...

Heck Yeah breastfeeding is easier....I cringe to think of all the work involved with artificial feeding.
#323 of 420 Old 10-02-2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Yeah, yet another reason BFing is easier. Once a BF baby is latched you can go about your business one handed (or hands free with sling). Bottle fed babies neeed two hands and your undivided attention.
Er, no and no. Breastfeeding takes both hands and most of my attention, for me, unless we're side-lying (which is nice, but it's not like I can get anything done that way). And it's not a learning curve thing, it's a "my breasts are too big and heavy for the baby to stay latched unless I'm helping him get the right angle" thing.

And why on earth would you need two hands for a bottlefed baby? I never did. One hand, and no more attention than breastfeeding requires.

Quote:
And I'm not sure why you had to hold your baby while he held his own bottle. Most kids can sit unsupported by 7/8/9 months.
He could sit unsupported at 5 months. But he'd scream and refuse to drink if I tried to give him a bottle when I wasn't holding him.
#324 of 420 Old 10-02-2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Additionally, for those who brag about how you can bf and do something else at the same time, I've gotten pretty good at holding him and the bottle with one hand (while sitting in a chair, obviously) and eating (something simple, like a sandwhich) or reading with the other. Which, I'm sure someone else will take as me failing to bond w/ my child. *Shrug* I can't win.

Yeah that's true too. I fail to see why you would need two hands to bottle feed but only one to breastfeed... I manage just fine with cradling him in one hand and holding the bottle with the same hand. I do have to be sitting for it, but if I'm standing, I can just pop him in a sling. (And really, we usually sit still for milky time.)
#325 of 420 Old 10-02-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
One more thing--not entirely related.

I just did a search on here on flat nipples--my specific problem--and found nothing.

I just looked up "flat" and this is what I found: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...archid=5999227. I didn't look through the threads but I did see one that was titled "help with flat nipples" or something like that.
#326 of 420 Old 10-02-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Yeah that's true too. I fail to see why you would need two hands to bottle feed but only one to breastfeed... I manage just fine with cradling him in one hand and holding the bottle with the same hand. I do have to be sitting for it, but if I'm standing, I can just pop him in a sling. (And really, we usually sit still for milky time.)
Totally off topic, but I just read your siggy--your kids are going to be close together, too! It makes me feel much better
#327 of 420 Old 10-02-2007, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Totally off topic, but I just read your siggy--your kids are going to be close together, too! It makes me feel much better
I'm terrified, personally.
#328 of 420 Old 10-02-2007, 06:52 PM

Quote:
I'm terrified, personally.
That definately makes two of us!
#329 of 420 Old 10-02-2007, 11:23 PM

Ok so the bf classes in your area were bunk.... Theres still books every book I read that mentioned breastfeeding was upfront that it was difficult at first and got easier with time.... do a google search for "breastfeeding problems" and you get 2,230,000 results and the first site covered low milk supply, mastitis, a poor latch, sore nipples, plugged ducts, leaking milk, colic, refusing to nurse, biting, and engorgement...... so I'm sorry if people are offended that I think there are plenty of resources about BFing but when I got Mastitsis I opened my What to Expect the First Year book and did a google search and was treating myself within 20min.......
#330 of 420 Old 10-02-2007, 11:30 PM

None of those resources are worth a damn when you're home alone with a baby who won't latch and there's no one there to help you out in person.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page