IS Breastfeeding "Easier" than FF? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 420 Old 09-29-2007, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You could never convince me that sterilizing bottles...

We don't sterilize bottles... I rinse them in the sink when he's done with one, then drop it in the dishwasher, top rack. It comes out clean with the other dishes.

When I have to wait 3 hrs at the dr's office because he is triple booked that day I don't have to worry that I didn't pack enough bottles (or when a 10hr car ride turns into a 2 day ordeal, or whatever unexpected thing happens)

If you are planning a big trip, just take a can of powder along; it'll definitely last a while. And if you're taking a day trip, take a Ziplock bag with several bottles' worth of pre-measured formula in it. It's pretty hard to run out unless you totally don't plan ahead. And if you DO run out? Run into a grocery store and pick some more up. It's not THAT different than getting food for yourself.

--I don't have to worry about running out of it ever

This is true. It's a PITA to go to the store, wonder if you have a coupon, wonder if they have your brand, etc. It's annoying, not to mention expensive. We've never technically run out though; we usually buy several cans at one time, and then realized that you can get it auto-shipped over the Internet. (Of course formula companies want to make it easy!)

--I don't have to worry about the milk being at the right temp

What's the "right temperature"? My babe drinks it from the fridge, at room temp, slightly warm, whatever it is at the moment... None the worse for wear...

--when baby is crying I don't have to think wonder if I should get a bottle ready, I just unlatch my bra and try to latch baby on. If baby is not hungry I have not wasted a whole bottle after baby take 3 sucks.

You don't actually have to throw out the bottle after three sucks, no matter what the "official" literature tells you. You *can* save it for later. And if you keep a bottle next to you, you can see if the baby wants to latch onto that. You just pick the bottle up and offer it to him; if he doesn't want it, he doesn't, if he does, he does. How is that different than offering the breast?

I'm just playing the devil's advocate here, probably shouldn't. I don't want to seem pro-FF, nor am I trying to be rude to the poster I just finished disagreeing with. But I do think that there is a myth that FF is so difficult. I don't think it is. It's not natural, it's not the best thing, it's not "just as good" etc. But it's not, technically, difficult... And most of the reasons cited for FF BEING such a PITA are kind of... not really necessary steps. Sterilizing, temperature testing, huge diaper bags, etc. Bah.
#182 of 420 Old 09-29-2007, 07:01 PM

Ok, I am not trying to be snarky or anything like that. But, when women say they have no support or no info about bfing, how can this really be in this day and age? We are pg for 9 mos. Don't all women take this time to read about pregnancy, birth, and taking care of baby? Is it possible in this day and age for a woman to not hear of LLL? I am really just throwing this out there. But there was a comment earlier from someone who said LC said one thing doc said another and then when she went home she had no support. Are there actually places that have no LLL leaders? I know at least 7 in my area and we are not a very progressive area (no birth centers, no midwives, no real birth choices, lots of ffing moms). And even if there aren't any leaders in an area, isn't there a 1-800 number to call? Again, not trying to be snarky, I am really curious. I mean most people get the nursery ready, get the crib set up, get the diapers, so don't most women give a thought to how they are going to feed the baby before baby arrives? I started going to LLL before DD#1 was even born. I understand that some women work and can't get to a meeting, but wouldn't you at least get the numbers of the leaders and maybe make contact beforehand?

Beth

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09
#183 of 420 Old 09-29-2007, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therese's Mommy View Post
Ok, I am not trying to be snarky or anything like that. But, when women say they have no support or no info about bfing, how can this really be in this day and age? We are pg for 9 mos. Don't all women take this time to read about pregnancy, birth, and taking care of baby? Is it possible in this day and age for a woman to not hear of LLL? I am really just throwing this out there. But there was a comment earlier from someone who said LC said one thing doc said another and then when she went home she had no support. Are there actually places that have no LLL leaders? I know at least 7 in my area and we are not a very progressive area (no birth centers, no midwives, no real birth choices, lots of ffing moms). And even if there aren't any leaders in an area, isn't there a 1-800 number to call? Again, not trying to be snarky, I am really curious. I mean most people get the nursery ready, get the crib set up, get the diapers, so don't most women give a thought to how they are going to feed the baby before baby arrives? I started going to LLL before DD#1 was even born. I understand that some women work and can't get to a meeting, but wouldn't you at least get the numbers of the leaders and maybe make contact beforehand?

Beth
Well, not everyone has a phone.

Not everyone has a car.

Not everyone feels comfortable talking to a group of strangers (or even one stranger) about her breasts.

And, maybe a lot of women hear that breastfeeding is easy and assume they won't need help and won't have trouble, so they don't seek out help beforehand, because why would you need help for something that's supposed to be easy?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#184 of 420 Old 09-29-2007, 07:07 PM

[QUOTE=truemists;9305499
If you are planning a big trip, just take a can of powder along; it'll definitely last a while. And if you're taking a day trip, take a Ziplock bag with several bottles' worth of pre-measured formula in it. It's pretty hard to run out unless you totally don't plan ahead. And if you DO run out? Run into a grocery store and pick some more up. It's not THAT different than getting food for yourself.
[/QUOTE]

Well, I can imagine alot of times when I store isn't readily available, again when sitting in a dr's office or some other place where you are waiting for your name to be called. Also, I guess maybe I don't know much about bottles, but I get the can of formula, but then what do I do with that?? Do I have to use a dirty bottle? Or find someplace to clean it? Doesn't sound convenient to me. Also, would I just use water from wherever?

And not planning ahead? Well, sometimes getting out of the house with children can be difficult. I rarely remember a snack for my 3yo. Perhaps I am just really bad at planning ahead. It was so much easier when she was just bfed.

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09
#185 of 420 Old 09-29-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Ok, I am not trying to be snarky or anything like that. But, when women say they have no support or no info about bfing, how can this really be in this day and age? We are pg for 9 mos. Don't all women take this time to read about pregnancy, birth, and taking care of baby? Is it possible in this day and age for a woman to not hear of LLL? I am really just throwing this out there. But there was a comment earlier from someone who said LC said one thing doc said another and then when she went home she had no support. Are there actually places that have no LLL leaders? I know at least 7 in my area and we are not a very progressive area (no birth centers, no midwives, no real birth choices, lots of ffing moms). And even if there aren't any leaders in an area, isn't there a 1-800 number to call?
There is no LLL, or even any unofficial breastfeeding group, within 100 miles of me. For my first birth, there were no LCs at the hospital. Every time I asked a nurse for breastfeeding help, I got a different answer. My doctor told me I HAD to supplement because he was jaundiced. Then she told me I HAD to supplement because he wasn't gaining weight (and he wasn't, it was bad and he was dehydrated, but no one tried to help me fix his latch). I had read many websites and had a stack of books about breastfeeding, but despite everything I tried, it didn't work out. (Well, sort of - we did about 50/50 for 9 months.)

For my second child, the hospital had improved; there were a couple of LCs on staff, and there was another with the county health department who visited me at home after the birth. Both of them managed to get him latched while they were there, but when they were gone, I couldn't do it. In the end, I basically figured it out on my own, but that was after the weeks of problems I posted about above.
#186 of 420 Old 09-29-2007, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Also, I guess maybe I don't know much about bottles, but I get the can of formula, but then what do I do with that?? Do I have to use a dirty bottle? Or find someplace to clean it?
Bring along a bottle with the right amount of water already in it.
#187 of 420 Old 09-29-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Well, not everyone has a phone.

Not everyone has a car.

Not everyone feels comfortable talking to a group of strangers (or even one stranger) about her breasts.
Nope, that is true, a friend of mine was a leader in a place that was just like that. Many didn't have cars or phones. She got lots of calls from men who were calling from pay phones for there wive's/so's/or whoever. And I understand that not everyone has someone who can run out to a pay phone when trouble arises, but there are 9mos to seek info.

And really, with the reading I did, nowhere did I get the impression that I would just be able to bf with no help. That is why I sought help beforehand. I was really led to believe that it would be hard. And in the beginning there were struggles.

#188 of 420 Old 09-29-2007, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookel View Post
There is no LLL, or even any unofficial breastfeeding group, within 100 miles of me.
This is good to know. See, from my experience, LLL leaders are everywhere. I feel bad for anyone who doesn't have that near them.

#189 of 420 Old 09-29-2007, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Well, I can imagine alot of times when I store isn't readily available, again when sitting in a dr's office or some other place where you are waiting for your name to be called. Also, I guess maybe I don't know much about bottles, but I get the can of formula, but then what do I do with that?? Do I have to use a dirty bottle? Or find someplace to clean it? Doesn't sound convenient to me. Also, would I just use water from wherever?

And not planning ahead? Well, sometimes getting out of the house with children can be difficult. I rarely remember a snack for my 3yo. Perhaps I am just really bad at planning ahead. It was so much easier when she was just bfed.
I bring bottled water in each bottle, and keep a small plastic container with powder in my diaper bag. I keep a small measuring scoop in that container, so it's no more work than making a bottle at home, and no need to refrigerate it. If I need to re-sue the bottle, I just rinse it out. If I'll be somewhere where clean water isn't available, I bring 2 or 3 pre-filled bottles.

Planning ahead - if formula is what you're accustomed to, it's just part of the deal of getting out of the house. For me, formula is a necessity as I'm a bfar mom and I can't supply my son with enough breastmilk for his survival. I've learned to make formula use as convenient as possible, and it hardly intrudes on my day at all, perhaps I spend a grand total of 15 minutes on it overall.
#190 of 420 Old 09-29-2007, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Bring along a bottle with the right amount of water already in it.

Again, I rarely remember a drink and snack for 3yo. Perhaps I am just a really absentminded mom

#191 of 420 Old 09-29-2007, 07:17 PM

Then again, I'm also curious about why it's so important for our (chosen?) method of feeding to be EASY. Even in the mainstream world it's WIDELY acknowledged that it's not easy to be a parent. (Duh!! ) And that the easiest route is not always the best.

But it's still a valid mainstream argument that "it's OK to switch to formula because it's easier than BF." I don't think that's a valid argument, really, for the reasons mentioned above.

But isn't the whole "BF is easier!" argument just the flip side of the same coin?

If it's best for your child, should it not matter either way?
#192 of 420 Old 09-29-2007, 07:21 PM

Ok, excuse my ignorance...what does "bfar" mean? I assume it is not a typo because it is in the post and in the siggie. Thanks.

#193 of 420 Old 09-29-2007, 07:27 PM

Even if I just have the same bottle to use, I buy a bottled water. (I keep some in my trunk too.) I've heard the arguments that they can have bacteria but I've never had an issue. You empty the old bottle, pour a little water, shake enough to rinse it out, then fill it up as usual. Is it sterile? No. Is it going to hurt the baby? Not in my experience.

And what I was staying about the store, if you went on a 10 hour trip that tirned into a 2 day trip, I'm guessing you didn't bring along enough food for yourself either. And if you're going somewhere without stores, well, er... I would either plan really well ahead or not go there with a baby in the first place. Either or.

Breastfeeding IS. VERY. CONVENIENT. No doubt about it. But bringing food for a baby is not much harder to do than bringing food along for an older child.
#194 of 420 Old 09-29-2007, 07:29 PM

Breastfeeding after reduction maybe?
#195 of 420 Old 09-29-2007, 07:37 PM

I was young when I had my first. I had the what to expect book and some other crappy books. I had an old school OB who was supposed to be pro bf, he was not. Nor was he even slightly educated on breastfeeding. My family knew nada and were no help. I wanted to breastfeed very much but with no internet, no doc to help, no LC available after I left the hospital and no LLL to help, I failed miserably. The LC I saw gave me a nipple shield and left for vacation. I got the number and called LLL repeatedly and left messages. No one ever called back. I got terrible mastitis and went back to the doc who bound my breasts, gave me antibiotics and sent me packing with an enfamil diaper bag full of junk. That was that. I didn't feel unprepared for 9 months. I took all the classes and thought I had support in place. How was I to know that the information I was given was wrong? That the support I was counting on would not be there?

It happens.
#196 of 420 Old 09-29-2007, 07:43 PM

Honest show of hands. How many mamas who exclusively breast fed their babes at one point when their little one was say oh around 12 or 13 months old and still BFing a ton, but also on solids have had an extra busy day where at around dinner time you look at your child and say "oh, I forgot to feed you today!"

Of course you BF'ed them, just no solids.

#197 of 420 Old 09-29-2007, 07:46 PM

That's a sorry feeling isn't it? I've done it many times. He never minded.
#198 of 420 Old 09-29-2007, 08:04 PM

i have only read the first post.

i am a bfar mam using a lact-aid to supply donor milk to dd2. its STILL easier than bottle feeding formula to dd1.
and nursing makes me MAKE time to sit and snuggle and bond,. something no ammount of feeding help from others could replace

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
#199 of 420 Old 09-29-2007, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysideup View Post
Tap water has fluoride in it.
Yours might. Mine doesn't

Monther of Riley (11), Andrew (4) and Victoria (7 months)
#200 of 420 Old 09-29-2007, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubfam View Post
I hear mom's IRL and on MDC say that Breastfeeding is SOOO much easier than formula feeding.

I have also read this in a lot of breastfeeding literature.
depends how you define *easier*. does it have a shorter prep time? yes it does! does it have less *stuff*? yes! does it make for faster feeding times? no it didn't for me.

but I still say its easier cuz I would forget my head if it wasn't attached and I can't count how much money I ended up wasting on ds1 buying a can of formula and a bottle cuz I forgot them at home.

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
#201 of 420 Old 09-29-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:

Beth
As a PP said, sometimes their is no LLL in the area and LC's in hospitals these days just plain suck. I had so much trouble with BF at first and I had read the literature and talked to people but it is a much different thing when you are actually DOING it.

As for the OP, I will admit BF was harder for me in the beginning. Now that DD is almost 8 months it is much easier.

But I will agree, the one thing that FF has over BF is that other people can feed you baby and take the duty over for you. I sometimes resent the fact that DD will not take a bottle (especially when you are tired, stressed, etc...)

But other than that, I agree that BF is easier than FF with regards to the other factors already mentioned here.
#202 of 420 Old 09-29-2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgoddess View Post
Honest show of hands. How many mamas who exclusively breast fed their babes at one point when their little one was say oh around 12 or 13 months old and still BFing a ton, but also on solids have had an extra busy day where at around dinner time you look at your child and say "oh, I forgot to feed you today!"

Of course you BF'ed them, just no solids.
HAHA I hope you weren't kidding... because I've done that. A lot LOL

Monther of Riley (11), Andrew (4) and Victoria (7 months)
#203 of 420 Old 09-29-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf_colon View Post
But I will agree, the one thing that FF has over BF is that other people can feed you baby and take the duty over for you. I sometimes resent the fact that DD will not take a bottle (especially when you are tired, stressed, etc...)
That assumes there's someone around who is willing to FF your baby (and that you're OK with that, of course). I was just saying on another post how in the six months or so of DS's life, he has been fed, I think... twice? three times? By others. And that was while I was still sitting there; Grandma and a friend wanted to feed the cute baby. Feeding him is still MY job exclusively. I don't exactly mind though; it's part of the job description of being a mommy.
#204 of 420 Old 09-29-2007, 08:28 PM

Okay, I have only read 50 posts so far, and have to run to a dinner for my dad's b-day, so forgive me if this has been said....but 30 mins. to breastfeed a baby? Seriously? I guess every baby is different, but I am lucky if I could keep either of my babes at the breast for 10 mins! They were snackers, eat and run. If they'd been eating formula, I would have been heating up bottles all day long.

Now, that being said, I haven't ever formula fed. But, I do have a friend who breastfed for 9 weeks, and then switched to formula. Not because it was easier, but because she was giving baby bottles of breastmilk and a pacifier and baby developed a nipple preference and refused the breast so she eventually had to switch to formula. I remember the day she showed up at my house for a visit when baby was 7 months old. Baby was hungry and she went to the diaper bag and she hadn't closed the lid of the bottle properly. The formula had spilled inside her diaper bag (lucky she had a bunch of sposies in there which wicked it all up!). She then had no food for baby, so had to go home and she'd only been over for 5 minutes. She was crying when she left saying how much she hated formula feeding because it was such a pain.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#205 of 420 Old 09-29-2007, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jörð View Post
Breastfeeding after reduction maybe?
Yep.

We could debate this till the cows come home and not get anyone to agree. The bottle line is that SOME moms consider ff'ing "easier" than bf'ing, and that might be their main reason for choosing it. Not a very good reason, imo, but a reason nonetheless. *I* chose ff'ing b/c it was the only way to provide my children with enough food to keep them alive. While I find ff'ing to be a pita at times, I still can't say that it's difficult, to be honest. No more difficult than the other "mom" stuff I have to do, like washing diapers or what have you. So yeah, saying ff'ing is too complicated really doesn't convince a lot of people, but if it's not what you're accustomed to, it can be a bit time consuming.
#206 of 420 Old 09-29-2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavis337 View Post
We could debate this till the cows come home and not get anyone to agree. The bottle line is that SOME moms consider ff'ing "easier" than bf'ing, and that might be their main reason for choosing it. Not a very good reason, imo, but a reason nonetheless. *I* chose ff'ing b/c it was the only way to provide my children with enough food to keep them alive. While I find ff'ing to be a pita at times, I still can't say that it's difficult, to be honest. No more difficult than the other "mom" stuff I have to do, like washing diapers or what have you. So yeah, saying ff'ing is too complicated really doesn't convince a lot of people, but if it's not what you're accustomed to, it can be a bit time consuming.
Well said...
#207 of 420 Old 09-29-2007, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lml41981 View Post
You shouldn't. Even the American Dental Association has issued a statement saying that infants shouldn't have formula mixed with tap water. You should use bottled water that is free of fluoride (and chlorine and all the other nasty stuff that is put in tap water).
i'd also like to point out another reason not to use warm tap water...warm water sits in your hot water heater for a bit, and often has deposits in it from that.

same reason as you shouldn't make food or coffee with warm tap.
#208 of 420 Old 09-29-2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Except that something like 35% of mothers in the U.S. attempt to formula feed and quit before 6 months. In most cases, that's because they never got past the initial difficult stage, and gave up because it was too hard. For them, formula feeding IS easier than breastfeeding ever was.
35% is not most :

Quote:
Why are people so resistant to the idea of telling new moms, "look, it's not as easy at first, but after the first couple of months, it will be easier than bottles"? Why the insistence on exaggerating the difficulties of formula feeding? (Not wise, because many of these women have ff friends and will see for themselves that it is not some huge, complicated ordeal.)
The one person I said that to... my SIL brushed me off like there was no way it could be hard... and then when she had difficulties, she acted like I had never said it : She makes me crazy, though, did I mention that?

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#209 of 420 Old 09-29-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
35% is not most :
But 35% is out of the total 100% of mothers, another 40% or so of whom never breastfeed at all. And some of the ones who breastfeed do so even though it is harder for them (like me, and some of the other posters on this thread). So out of those who DO breastfeed at all, I bet more than 50% (=most ) find it harder than using formula.
#210 of 420 Old 09-29-2007, 09:55 PM

Quote:
But 35% is out of the total 100% of mothers, another 40% or so of whom never breastfeed at all. And some of the ones who breastfeed do so even though it is harder for them (like me, and some of the other posters on this thread). So out of those who DO breastfeed at all, I bet more than 50% (=most ) find it harder than using formula.
Granted... but I wonder what the percentages are like in other countries. Although, that might be like comparing apples to oranges because the amount of support (i.e. watching your mother and other women breastfeeding) would probably be different. Not being snarky, but, I have a hard time believing that almost 75% of babies would die if not for formula... or, rather, the percentage would be lower than that, but it is still a phenomenally high percentage of the population who can't/won't make it through the first year of breastfeeding, in terms of species survival, were there no formula, no?

Again, that wasn't meant as anything snarky, I prefer to look at things in terms of biology, so this is purely from a biological standpoint.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page