EPing and giving milk to 3 year old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-25-2003, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just have a question about when bm stops being so beneficial to a child, if ever, and what amount would make a difference.

I had a lot of bfing problems with my dd , and will probably end up pumping full time again. Which is fine with me, I'm good at it and have a huge milk supply (already started leaking at 9 weeks pg!). So first of all when I start pumping, can I give the extra to my dd who will be 3 by then? I'm sure she won't take it straight, I'd have to mix Ovaltine in it just like with cows milk. Would she get any real benefit from my milk at that age?

Secondly, since I have oversupply issues I'm going to try getting a handle on the milk and not overpump like I did last time. So my dd may not be getting a whole lot of my milk every day. I was thinking prob. about 4 oz. Would this little bit do her any good or would I be wasting my time?

Thanks!
Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#2 of 6 Old 07-25-2003, 02:53 AM

do you read newman?? http://bflrc.com/newman/breastfeeding/toddler.htm
I love him - personally. But also, if over supply is a big issue - is there a bm bank near you?? I don;t know how you feel about that but so many moms would love tohave that magical milk
#3 of 6 Old 07-25-2003, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
But also, if over supply is a big issue - is there a bm bank near you??
When I was pumping with dd I got enough milk to completely fill my dad's garage freezer. Then I called the milk bank in CO, the closest one, and they said they didn't need anything but preemie and newborn milk. My dd was 4 mos. old at that time so the milk was too "old". I then contacted LLL to find out if there was anyone local who needed it and they said no, because it should be pasturized before anyone else uses it. I felt it was such a waste.

I had a friend who adopted her baby and really wanted my milk but she was in a different state. I was willing to send her the milk with dry ice but the shipping costs were way too much for either of us to afford since it had to be shipped express.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#4 of 6 Old 07-25-2003, 09:49 PM

Not to get off track, but I talked to the milk bank in NC, and they are happy to take milk up to 1 year. It doesn't really matter where you are, b/c they send you the materials to fed-ex the milk to them.

My understanding is that there is always a really short supply of milk, and it would be a wonderful gift to make.

Edited to add..they are looking for moms who can give the equlivalent of about 4 oz./day, and there aren't really strict collection guidelines.
#5 of 6 Old 07-25-2003, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kimmzangels
do you read newman?? http://bflrc.com/newman/breastfeeding/toddler.htm
I love him - personally. But also, if over supply is a big issue - is there a bm bank near you?? I don;t know how you feel about that but so many moms would love tohave that magical milk
Kim tyvm for passing this link along!
What a great article ! I bookmarked it and will also save it to file!
This is awesome!
Thanks!

I am still nursing my 38 month old USAmama...milk is good at any age as long as it is mamma milk I think it is wonderful the lengths you are going to to give yours the best.........

Free To Be~
Traci
"Living is learning and when kids are living fully and energetically and happily they are learning a lot, even if we don't always know what it is."
~John Holt 

#6 of 6 Old 07-28-2003, 04:02 AM

i am glad you enjoyed the newman article.

here is another great tidbit for your ebf mamas. http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...ebMar03p3.html

My babe is 30 mo now and still loves her "dink" - and i sure love my "dinker" - would not trade it for anything

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page