Throat coat tea - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-02-2007, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The kind from Traditional Medicinals, can I drink that while bfing? My throat is so sore and I am craving something hot and soothing. If not, what about the children's Throat coat? Thanks.

Beth

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09
#2 of 7 Old 10-02-2007, 04:29 PM

I'd cross-reference the ingredients with kellymom's herbal info. There are a couple of helpful pages:

*Herbal Safety for nursing moms
*Herbs to avoid while breastfeeding
*Is this herb safe for nursing moms?

Susun Weed's also got a good list at http://www.motherandchildhealth.com/...void_weed.html

Rosemary Gladstar also has a good list of herbs, their uses, and cautions in her book "Family Herbal".
#3 of 7 Old 10-02-2007, 04:52 PM

From what I recall on the ingredients of throat coat, I think there are some that are counter indicated for nursing.
It also says on the label that it's not to be used for pregnant/nursing women.
#4 of 7 Old 10-02-2007, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the links. I ended up having some because my throat was so bad. I had dh talk to one of my LLL leaders first (I had a sleeping baby on my lap), she said it was ok. I looked at the link and all of the herbs are ok with the exception of licorice. Now I wish I hadn't had any, but I only had 1 cup (using 2 tea bags), so it shouldn't be that big of a deal. I think I will just stick to hot water with lemon for now. Any other suggestions for a sore throat (bfing friendly of course ) using stuff most people would have on hand (I don't feel like going out to the store.

Thanks,

Beth

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09
#5 of 7 Old 10-02-2007, 08:59 PM

I don't know what Throat Coat Tea is, but the most amazing, soothing recipe for a sore throat is as follows:

one tea bag
grated fresh ginger (or else just use ginger tea)
lemon juice
copious amounts of honey

It can soothe just about any sore throat. :

Hope you feel better soon!
#6 of 7 Old 10-02-2007, 09:06 PM

As far as the licrorice root is concerned...I tend to take that with a bit of a grain of salt. According to Rosemary Gladstar, the studies that indicated a link between increased water retention and thus raise blood pressure levels
Quote:
were done mostly on licorice extracts, licorice candy, and allopathic medicine - not the whole plant or crude preparations made from licorice root.
and

Quote:
Although there are many warnings against using it, it must be remembered that licorice is one of the most widely prescribed herbs in the world; there are very few reported cases of toxicity due to its use. It is generally sfe for children and the elderly, which usually means it's safe for everyone in between.
...but everyone has to determine their own comfort levels as far as it's concerned.

Unfortunately, all of the recipes I have use licorice root in some form.
#7 of 7 Old 10-03-2007, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the continued replies. Good news....sore throat is gone! Really bad news....horrible unrelenting sinus pain that kept me up all night : My teeth even hurt. And I am beginning to wonder if it is possible for my face to actually explode, because it feels like it is about to

Beth

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page