#91 of 99 Old 10-16-2007, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajama View Post
guerrilla nursing.
Haha! Totally.

Look at me wrong and I will kick your ass WHILE I nurse my child!
#92 of 99 Old 10-16-2007, 08:55 PM

Normally....I don't cover up.
I did once when visiting a friend of mine whose toddler kept trying to grab my breasts. Nothing the Mama did could get the child to stop the behavior, so I covered up and *bam* the child became disinterested.

Working jammin.gif Student Mama to a energy.gif4 y/o.

#93 of 99 Old 10-16-2007, 10:26 PM

Here is an awesome Mothering articles about breastfeeding in public by Peggy O'Mara, here.

Quote:
In many ways, it is ludicrous to even discuss modesty in the context of breastfeeding when scanty women's clothing is so well tolerated in the media, at the workplace, and in public on most other occasions. It is obvious, then, that this argument is a foil for those who are uncomfortable seeing a woman breastfeed in public because they are underexposed to breastfeeding in general. And it is further evidence of prejudice toward women, unfortunately, among women.

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#94 of 99 Old 10-16-2007, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transformed View Post
Women who prefer to be modest are NOT anti-bf. That is an absolutley rediculous statment.
Sorry - that's not what I meant. I would put myself in the actegory of mothers who prefer to be discreet. But I think that individuals who say that women can NIP AS LONG AS they are being discreet are anti-BF/anti-woman as they put the responsibility for the problem on the mother, not where it should be.

Michelle, mama to Isabelle (03/04) and Tom (02/07)
#95 of 99 Old 10-16-2007, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyS View Post
If you were my SIL, you would think I was secretive as well. Having a baby and getting to escape frequently from family gatherings is the best thing I ever did. When my FIL starts getting on my nerves (which is frequent ), oh, wow, the baby is suddenly hungry. And, it takes him forever to nurse. :

I'm not like that all the time. I just reserve the escaping into the bedroom for my inlaws. LOL
OMG me too! This is just about the only place I WANT to NOT NIP!
#96 of 99 Old 10-16-2007, 10:57 PM

Never have with my daughter.

With my son I did 13 years ago, I was 20 and didn't know anyone who breastfed. I did it but I was uncomfortable without covering up.
#97 of 99 Old 10-16-2007, 11:28 PM

nope
#98 of 99 Old 10-16-2007, 11:45 PM

When I was nursing #1 I was obsessive about being covered. Now I'm on #4 and I don't give a hoot who sees or who gets upset. I try very hard to not expose my breast/nipple/yummy stretched out-fat rollish tummy, but if they accidentally get exposed to the world - oh well. It is just skin after all. I have a hard time w/people who accuse breastfeeding moms who don't cover of being unmodest or crazy lactivists. Breastfeeding under a cover is dang hard and sometimes babes refuse to do it under there. Breasts are totally normal, natural things and what a babe does with breasts is a totally normal, natural thing. I don't think I should have to cover it up. (And if anyone brings up using the restroom as an argument for covering up natural functions, I'll tell them that I think our fascination w/keeping that a secret and making it seem disgusting is ridiculous!)

AND

100% of the people IN THE WORLD are naked under their clothes!!!!

(ps i have a grand story about a young male lifegaurd at our local community pool who didn't stare AND didn't bat an eye when I was breastfeeding my nursling there last week! yay for him!!)

SAHM to four beautiful babes :
#99 of 99 Old 10-17-2007, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by transformed View Post
I never even noticed a woman nursing before I started nursing. Then I started seeing them everywhere!

Are you sure people are looking at you and you arent just self concious?

Its hard to tell when someone is nursing.

My ds wouldnt nurse in public much because he was too stimulated by everything else.
Yeah I'm sure. I wasn't the only one who noticed the looks as well as the comment from a preg. lady. And I am not really self concious other than not wanting my belly flap hanging out.

However, I have not ever noticed anyone around me bfing. I live in a state that is so backwards from how I think and Live. This place is so, so unhealthy and poor that it makes me sad that women don't and aren't encouraged to breastfeed. And the general attitude around here is not supportive at all of bfing.

THat being said, (besides meeting my childs needs to nurse) I want to be an example to my friends and my sister and to whatever woman does notice me, that it is okay and is the best thing for my child no matter what anyone else thinks about it. Because that is how it should be, just no big deal...

natural living, cloth diapering, babywearing, intactalactivist mama to 2 beautiful boys both born at homehomebirth.jpg ~ ds1 July 8,2007 and ds2 born December 31,2009 and loving my awesome dh!! mdcblog5.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page