if im absolutely determined.. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 10-20-2007, 06:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sounds like you have some good support in place with midwives who assume that you will breastfeed. Have you discussed a contingency plan for interventions, such as if you have pain meds, pitocin, instrument birth (forceps/vacuum extractor), or cesarean? Each of those things can play a role in a baby's ability to breastfeed immediately after birth, but none of them require baby to have a bottle.

Read every book you can find on breastfeeding, but understand that it's kind of like reading a book on how to ride a bicycle--the ability doesn't translate immediately. You'll never know what it's really like until you do it (and why I don't trust LCs who haven't breastfed their own children). The absolutely most important thing you can do is set yourself up with a support network. LLL is great, start going to meetings as soon as you can. Talk to women you see who are breastfeeding. Get a handful of names and numbers of women you can call, even in the middle of the night, if you need some help and keep them next to your bed. Post your questions and concerns here and you will have nearly immediate feedback from all sorts of moms who've been there, done that. Believe in your body, it was made to do this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 42 Old 10-20-2007, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Each of those things can play a role in a baby's ability to breastfeed immediately after birth, but none of them require baby to have a bottle.
Really? Pitocin affects BF? Interesting. I had a pit drip (basically forced onto me).
#33 of 42 Old 10-20-2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkTrance View Post
Really? Pitocin affects BF? Interesting. I had a pit drip (basically forced onto me).
Yup. It's well documented. Google +pitocin +breastfeeding and you'll get lots of info.
#34 of 42 Old 10-20-2007, 05:00 PM

I want to chime in that I love Dr. Newman's book. I read it a few times cover to cover before I had my baby and, in part because I knew exactly what a good latch looked like, should feel like, etc, I had no problems at all. And if I had encountered difficulties, I knew either how to fix them or how to get help.

I also found his online videos very very helpful, especially the ones about how to get a proper asymmetrical latch.

You can do it!
#35 of 42 Old 10-22-2007, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

oy... so is it true that having PCOS could hurt my supply?

as if i had another thing to worry about! :

Artie, mom to Riley 3/22/08 and a surprise due Oct 2011!
#36 of 42 Old 10-23-2007, 01:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Don't worry. If you have trouble, you just come on back here and we'll help you out These mamas know their breastfeeding! The only thing to do right now is relax, and maybe do some research on good lactation consultants (look for IBLBC certified) and maybe LLL meetings in your area in case you do need some local support. Good luck and enjoy!

Edited to add: I had MAJOR pitocin drip during delivery (for like 16 hours!) and breastfed just fine. It took 5 days for my milk to fully come in, but with a little lactation tea and some skin to skin time it was no problem (again, if you are having problems come on back and ask for lactation tea recommendations!). We're still nursing strong at 11 months old. Don't let anyone talk you out of it--it can be wonderful!

Mama to Nell (11/15/06) and Maggie (10/9/10) . AFTER 2.5 YEARS, I AM AN AUNTIE!!! joy.gifHOORAY TEAR78 and welcome Anika and Brand New Baby Boy!!!!  Circumcision: the more you know, the worse it is; please leave the decision up to your son!

#37 of 42 Old 10-23-2007, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGierald View Post
oy... so is it true that having PCOS could hurt my supply?

as if i had another thing to worry about! :
About a third of women with PCOS have normal supply, 1/3 have over supply and 1/3 have under supply.

here's a good place to start http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/pcos.html
#38 of 42 Old 10-23-2007, 02:48 AM

Before DD was born I'd heard so many breastfeeding failure/horror stories I wondered if I would be able to do it. I never introduced a bottle because I wasn't sure if I could handle any interference. I took a class and read lots of books. We've been happily bfing for a year now.

: 10/06 : 10/09
#39 of 42 Old 10-23-2007, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettymom View Post
Before DD was born I'd heard so many breastfeeding failure/horror stories I wondered if I would be able to do it. I never introduced a bottle because I wasn't sure if I could handle any interference. I took a class and read lots of books. We've been happily bfing for a year now.
This sums up my experience. I didn't even attempt to introduce a pacifier until 8 weeks od. He's 10.5 months now and never really took to pacis or bottles.

I was so worried about thrush I slept topless (on a towel) for weeks. I was very mindful of engorgement, mastitis, etc. I think I freaked myself out. We never had any of those problems.

My big issues were nipple pain, which lasted about four weeks, oversupply, which lasted about 5 months and a nursing strike or two (which lasted about 24 hours). Oh, I also got a stomach bug and took a huge supply dip. We nursed around the clock to get it normal again.

We're almost at 11 months and still nursing away. I think you HAVE to be determined. Don't do the "Oh, I'll try it and if it doesn't work out, it's OK". There are rare times when it won't work out, true, but go into it thinking you will do this and be successful. If you are not committed, educated and supported it's so easy to quit.
#40 of 42 Old 10-23-2007, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

okay i do feel better about the PCOS thing...

im a very weird cyster.. my doctor thinks i have something SIMILAR to pcos, called multi-follicular syndrome. It made me horribly irregular, bad skin, weight gain, all the classic PCOS signs, but my blood levels of testosterone, estrogen, prolactin, glucose, EVERYTHING was perfectly normal!

however, she told me just because i didnt fit inside the box didnt mean i didnt have pcos, and after 2 years of trying, and 4 months on metformin, i got pregnant, lol.

but since i dont have the actual technical hormone issues, i might be okay

Artie, mom to Riley 3/22/08 and a surprise due Oct 2011!
#41 of 42 Old 10-23-2007, 05:38 PM

Just remember that even if you are 100% committed, you are still only about 98% likely to be successful. Which is a pretty darn good chance, but if you're in that 2% who can't through no fault of your own, please don't beat yourself up over it. (And even a lot of those can breastfeed partially, which is a lot better than none.) All you can do is try your best, stay committed, and get help immediately if you're having any problems.
#42 of 42 Old 10-23-2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGierald View Post
okay i do feel better about the PCOS thing...

im a very weird cyster.. my doctor thinks i have something SIMILAR to pcos, called multi-follicular syndrome. It made me horribly irregular, bad skin, weight gain, all the classic PCOS signs, but my blood levels of testosterone, estrogen, prolactin, glucose, EVERYTHING was perfectly normal!

however, she told me just because i didnt fit inside the box didnt mean i didnt have pcos, and after 2 years of trying, and 4 months on metformin, i got pregnant, lol.

but since i dont have the actual technical hormone issues, i might be okay
A couple women with PCOS have collaborated to write the blog in my signature.

Many of the PCOSers I've encountered online had oversupply. Some did have low supply. It's good to consider all possibilities, so that if you are in that pretty much unknown percentage of PCOS women who do have low supply, you can follow your plan B without giving up breastfeeding completely. And chances are you will have plenty of milk or much more than enough.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page