Canned Tuna - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-03-2007, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there anything wrong with eating canned tuna while nursing? I eat it once in a while--not even once a month, if I had to say how much. Has any research been done on this? Or do you have any personal experiences to share on whether there's anything wrong with it?
Thanks!
#2 of 13 Old 11-03-2007, 09:24 PM

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought maybe you were on WIC. In MN nursing mother's get 4 cans of tuna a month from the WIC program, I've never been able to figure out why nursing moms get it, but no one else does.
I don't think there's anything wrong with eating it occasionally, although 4 cans a month would seem a bit much for me. I do remember hearing that the tuna lobby has made it so that tuna is rated safer than it actually is for pregnant and breastfeeding mothers, but I don't know what the truth behind that is. I personally would almost always choose another fish to eat over tuna, so I didn't pay a lot of attention :

Mama to three - DD : 1/03, DS 2/06, and DS 6/09.
#3 of 13 Old 11-03-2007, 09:30 PM

I wont eat it.

I nurse and have amalgam filling which I feel bad enough about. Dont think my baby needs any more mercury.
#4 of 13 Old 11-03-2007, 09:30 PM

The concern is mercury. Depending on who you ask women of childbearing age should either eat none or no more than one can a month.

-Angela
#5 of 13 Old 11-03-2007, 09:34 PM

I also have heard that the darker tuna has less mercury than the albacore tuna for what that's worth.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#6 of 13 Old 11-03-2007, 11:33 PM

Here is a good link http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mo...oods.html#fish

Try to stay away from albacore tuna and tuna steaks. The canned light tuna seems to be the safer bet. I usually only have a small 3 ounce can about once a month though.
#7 of 13 Old 11-04-2007, 12:14 AM

That's funny- I also thought this was a WIC post. I'm on WIC in Minnesota and if you are breastfeeding you get tuna and carrots... nobody else does.
#8 of 13 Old 11-04-2007, 01:37 PM

I don't really eat it. If I'm craving it, I try to just have salmon sushi or something similar. Tuna really should've been included on the high mercury big fish list along with sea bass, shark, tilefish, swordfish, and mackeral, but the tuna lobbyists are pretty powerful, so it was left out.

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

#9 of 13 Old 11-04-2007, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I used to have it about once a week when I got it from WIC (ie, when DS was under a year old.) Sometimes I ate it even more often, as it was an economical source of protein.

It can be hard to navigate all of the information about safety while pg and bf- so much of it contradicts each other, some of it seems to fly in the face of common sense, some of it seems like overkill.

There are lots of nutrients in fish- protein, omega 3 fats- along with the risk of mercury (and possible other heavy metal) exposure. It's not as simple as "artificial sweeteners are unhealthy all around so avoid them" because there are positives to eating fish.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#10 of 13 Old 11-04-2007, 05:44 PM

Could they be adding tuna because of the omega-3 fatty acids?
I knew I saw a story about that somewhere!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17185324/

Mom to '97, '07, '09 and birth mom '00 and wife to my BFF
#11 of 13 Old 11-04-2007, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

I am on WIC. But I usually don't eat the tuna. Like I said, 1 can/M if any. I don't particularly like it, so I was just wondering. But if I were really concerned--I know the concern is mercury--I wouldn't have any more info now than I had a week ago... Too many contradictions, etc. But that also goes for pg/bf/parenting in general! : Anyway, I won't be on WIC for long b/c I'm voluntarily getting off. They're a major PITA to me!
#12 of 13 Old 11-05-2007, 03:07 PM

For those that eat tuna, I have heard that there is a compound in cilantro that helps your body get rid of mercury.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#13 of 13 Old 11-06-2007, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post
For those that eat tuna, I have heard that there is a compound in cilantro that helps your body get rid of mercury.
Cool! One of my fave things for lunch is a salad with noodles, cukes, tomatoes, purple cabbage, tuna, lots of cilantro and some mayo with lime.

I rarely make it because of the tuna, and I was pregnant/am now nursing, and DD is only 5 y.o. However, the tuna we get here is not the albacore. The smaller the species and younger the fish the better as far as mercury accumulation.

Knowing about the cilantro makes me feel better about the times that we do make that for lunch.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page