Breastfeeding portraits? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-11-2007, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've recently begun a photography business - children's portraits - with a specialization in breastfeeding portraits.

I polled my local AP/natural parenting group before starting and got a resounding YES when I asked if moms want this (I knew I did ), but I wanted to kind of poll a larger group of women with regards to some other questions I have (so that you can be completely honest and not give me answers you think I want to hear because you're my friend ).

I'd love it if you'd take a few minutes to let me know:

Would you want to have portraits of your nursling nursing?

Would you want to have prints?

Would size would you want those prints to be?

If you didn't want prints, would you like to have them printed in a book?

If you did have prints, where would you hang them? Up for everyone to see, or in a more private area?

I know I'll have more questions, but I'd appreciate any thoughts you care to share, including suggestions if you have any.

Thanks so much,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2007, 03:03 AM

I think nursing and, more importantly, the shared nursing relationship is beautiful. I would definitely want nursing portraits done. I have a few favorite photos with my dd and both are of us nursing (once when she was 4 mos. and the other at a year). I rarely buy anything larger than a 5x7 so I personally wouldn't be interested in anything bigger and I can't imagine handing out wallet sized either. I'd proudly display my nursing portrait on the wall with our other family photos. Published in a book would be cool too.

What a nice service to offer and promote. I'm sure your work is beautiful.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:02 PM

What a beautiful idea! I have some snapshots in each of the kids albums of them nursing, but nothing professional. I am very big into scrapbooking, so I always like to have lots of professional shots for their albums. I always put a 8 x 10 of the professional shots into their albums (12 x 12 albums). I probably wouldn't hang one of these pictures in the living room, but definitely would hang one in baby's bedroom or in my bedroom (or both!). The wall hangings I always order in 10 x 13. I may order extra prints for grandparents (5 x 7) and I would definitely order extras to keep for my child to have when they get older in case they want to have duplicates made (more 5 x 7 or 3 1/2 x 5). I think a pre-made album is a wonderful idea for women who don't scrapbook also. What about an ongoing album of some sort - like nursing at birth through the first year or second year or something like that? That would be beautiful!!
Old 11-11-2007, 02:36 PM

I love the idea! I have a 4X6 of me nursing dd at 8 months hanging on the wall in my bedroom. Another copy is in her baby book. I can totally see having a large breastfeeding photo hanging in the livingroom. (one that shows less of my skin than the one I currently have!) I am going to have a family portrait done by a great local photographer, and I think I'll ask him to take at least one BF pic! As for wallets, I'd honestly probably hand one or two out to my LLL friends, but I'm weird.
Good luck with your business!
Old 11-11-2007, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Oh boy, my first response disappeared! Let's see if this one works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommycakes View Post
I'd proudly display my nursing portrait on the wall with our other family photos. Published in a book would be cool too.
So you'd hang your nursing portrait out in your public rooms, it just wouldn't be huge - right? I'm just wondering how many people would display their photos in public. You can see at my site (in my profile) that the photos are tasteful, and some are even more artistic. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by amydep View Post
I always put a 8 x 10 of the professional shots into their albums (12 x 12 albums). I probably wouldn't hang one of these pictures in the living room, but definitely would hang one in baby's bedroom or in my bedroom (or both!). The wall hangings I always order in 10 x 13. I may order extra prints for grandparents (5 x 7) and I would definitely order extras to keep for my child to have when they get older in case they want to have duplicates made (more 5 x 7 or 3 1/2 x 5). I think a pre-made album is a wonderful idea for women who don't scrapbook also. What about an ongoing album of some sort - like nursing at birth through the first year or second year or something like that? That would be beautiful!!
I'm glad you'd feel comfortable giving nursing portraits to grandparents! I also had no idea that scrappers used professional portraits for scrapping, though it makes perfect sense. You've gotten me thinking about creating a keepsake product for the child when they're older, too.

I had been thinking about doing an ongoing album as well! Just trying to think of the logistics, as some nurslings nurse for 6 months, some for years. I'm really glad you both like the idea because I know it's something I'd really like, and that the kids would really like as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleMommy View Post
I can totally see having a large breastfeeding photo hanging in the livingroom. (one that shows less of my skin than the one I currently have!) I am going to have a family portrait done by a great local photographer, and I think I'll ask him to take at least one BF pic! As for wallets, I'd honestly probably hand one or two out to my LLL friends, but I'm weird.
I love hearing that you'd hang it in your public areas! My main idea is that the photos I take are from the mom's point of view, because I want to be able to remember what *I* saw, not what others saw. Still, the portraits that generate the most feeling from other moms are the photos that show more of the mom's face.

I get to do a newborn in Dec/Jan and I'm so excited about capturing those shots!!! I *so* wish I'd had those with all my kids (believe me, I tried). And the "mole toucher" post on my site is of a little girl that was days shy of being 4 years old.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and ideas! I look forward to more if you have them.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:15 PM

I love the idea!!! I would do it in a heartbeat and have it hanging on the wall with the other pictures.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

So this is the kind of thing that you would save for? Maybe like a great sling or something?

I just keep thinking that the moms I know that would enjoy this are typically SAHMs with one income, and for most that one income isn't that big. A lot of the moms make their own diapers and their own slings instead of paying a premium.

I guess that's a way for me to think of this - like a premium sling, one of the silks!

It's really helpful knowing that you'd all enjoy having a print on your wall, even if it wasn't huge. I've been trying to decide if I want to offer prints or let people print them themselves. Apparently most photographers make their money with the prints, as they don't generally get paid well for their skills and talents. :

Thanks so much!!!
Old 11-11-2007, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meant2beamom View Post
I've recently begun a photography business - children's portraits - with a specialization in breastfeeding portraits.

I polled my local AP/natural parenting group before starting and got a resounding YES when I asked if moms want this (I knew I did ), but I wanted to kind of poll a larger group of women with regards to some other questions I have (so that you can be completely honest and not give me answers you think I want to hear because you're my friend ).

If you did have prints, where would you hang them? Up for everyone to see, or in a more private area?

I know I'll have more questions, but I'd appreciate any thoughts you care to share, including suggestions if you have any.

Thanks so much,

Where are you located (if you don't mind me asking), because I would LOVE an opportunity to get pics like this!

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
Old 11-11-2007, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollytheteacher View Post
Where are you located (if you don't mind me asking), because I would LOVE an opportunity to get pics like this!
I don't mind - I'm in Northern Colorado. Are you anywhere nearby?
Old 11-11-2007, 06:34 PM

Would you want to have portraits of your nursling nursing? Yes

Would you want to have prints? Yes

Would size would you want those prints to be? probably a 5x7 or 8x10 to frame
If you didn't want prints, would you like to have them printed in a book? probably not

If you did have prints, where would you hang them? Up for everyone to see, or in a more private area? Personally I would probably hang it in my bedroom, or hallway, or child's room.

I know I'll have more questions, but I'd appreciate any thoughts you care to share, including suggestions if you have any. Sounds like a great idea! I'd love something like this What a great gift idea too for a new mom....

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
Old 11-11-2007, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaleigh37 View Post
What a great gift idea too for a new mom....[/B]
Thanks, Amanda. And that's a helpful marketing point!
Old 11-11-2007, 06:58 PM

Would you want to have portraits of your nursling nursing? I'd love it!

Would you want to have prints? Yes!

Would size would you want those prints to be? Large, so I could frame it.

If you didn't want prints, would you like to have them printed in a book? n/a...I want prints.

If you did have prints, where would you hang them? Up for everyone to see, or in a more private area? For everyone to see.

Good luck with your business, such a terrific idea!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
Old 11-11-2007, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzbm View Post
Good luck with your business, such a terrific idea!
thanks, marie!

your answers made me think of another question...

would you want a book made to give to the child? when they're still young or when they're older? or would you get 2 and store one away?

do you think they'd like to have photos of them nursing when they're adults? would you have?

Old 11-12-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:

So you'd hang your nursing portrait out in your public rooms, it just wouldn't be huge - right?
Well, I nurse in the presence of others so I don't see what the big deal would be there Yes indeed, I would display my nursing portrait. We have a small house and I love taking photos, so I decorate with several smaller format prints rather a couple big ones.

I'm just all over this nursing portrait idea. I wish you lived in our area!

Oh, and what a great suggestion a pp had--to have portraits done throughout the year. What a beautiful album idea.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommycakes View Post
Well, I nurse in the presence of others so I don't see what the big deal would be there Yes indeed, I would display my nursing portrait. We have a small house and I love taking photos, so I decorate with several smaller format prints rather a couple big ones.

I'm just all over this nursing portrait idea. I wish you lived in our area!

Oh, and what a great suggestion a pp had--to have portraits done throughout the year. What a beautiful album idea.
I just keep thinking about my friend who showed her dad some portraits she had done, in one which her dd was nursing and her fil saw it and said he "didn't need to see that".

I finally saw that photo and keep forgetting that her dd had actually stopped nursing and the mama's entire breast was visible... I wouldn't want my fil or father seeing that. There is occasionally part of a nipple showing in the photos and sometimes even all of it if the baby pops off, but it's clearly a nursing photo, whereas in the other it wasn't focused on that situation.

And I've just GOT to stop worrying about what other people will think when the importance of this reminder outweighs other people's judgements.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:44 PM

Quote:

Would you want to have portraits of your nursling nursing? YES!!!

Would you want to have prints? Absolutely

Would size would you want those prints to be? 5 x 11 or maybe larger

If you didn't want prints, would you like to have them printed in a book? Probably not

If you did have prints, where would you hang them? Up for everyone to see, or in a more private area? Up for everyone to see, I'd also use a digital version of my favorite photo for my profile picture on message boards and Facebook
I wish there was someone local who specialized in nursing portraits, that would be fantastic Good luck with your business!

Leah - Wife to Joshua (April 22nd, 2006) , Mama to Scarlett (April 17th, 2007) and Vera (October 23rd, 2010)
Old 11-12-2007, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe I'll start a trend! Otherwise, you can ask your photographer to take shots, which I did a few years ago. I enjoyed those, though they weren't exactly what I was looking for (I wanted some from my point of view), which is why I started this biz!!

Thanks,
Old 11-15-2007, 11:20 PM

What a great idea! I have my friend take pictures of my son nursing on a regular basis from birth to now (he is 11 months now) and I do intend to build a photobook depicting our nursing relationship at snapfish. I would also love to frame a picture too. I would and probably will proudly and with love display such a picture anywhere. I would not go for wallet size pictures because to me it would really mean a work of art, both breastfeeding and photography, worthy of larger sizes!
Old 11-15-2007, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your input!

You know, I hadn't even thought about wallet sizes, but I had considered - and then decided against - photo jewelry. At least for nursing portraits. I'd still like to offer it for children's portraits one day. Especially considering I have/had a jewelry biz - I've always wanted to incorporate the two.

Of course, it would be up to the mama if she wanted to have a nursing portrait in her jewelry.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:55 AM

Would you want to have portraits of your nursling nursing?yes

Would you want to have prints?yes

Would size would you want those prints to be? 8by10

If you did have prints, where would you hang them? Up for everyone to see,

i have maternity pics of my bare stomach in my living room so i dont see the difference
Old 11-16-2007, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Ebony! It wasn't too long ago that maternity portraits were "out there" and now they're everywhere, so I imagine (hope) that one day it will be the same for breastfeeding portraits. The answers here really make me think so!
Old 11-16-2007, 03:02 AM

Would you want to have portraits of your nursling nursing? YES

Would you want to have prints? YES

Would size would you want those prints to be? 5x7 or 8x10

If you didn't want prints, would you like to have them printed in a book? yes, in addition to prints

If you did have prints, where would you hang them? Up for everyone to see, or in a more private area? my bedroom or hallway or photos

What a great idea. Anyone know of a photographer in Seattle??

E (2/07), M (2/10), #3 EDD 5/14

Old 11-16-2007, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter

Kanaha,
Since starting my biz I've been trying to find other such photographers, and have seen a few. You might do a search on "breastfeeding photography". You might also check with your local LLL or API groups - I'm an API leader (you can read about how I want to capture the 8 ideals of AP) and maybe your groups have photographers (or budding photographers) who hadn't thought about this, but could add it to their repertoire.

If I find any, I'll be sure to post here. If you find one, please let me know. Maybe I can start a network of breastfeeding photographers.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Kanaha,
Since starting my biz I've been trying to find other such photographers, and have seen a few. You might do a search on "breastfeeding photography".

If I find any, I'll be sure to post here. If you find one, please let me know. Maybe I can start a network of breastfeeding photographers.
I have a side business doing photography, and am completely supportive of breastfeeding, but being a guy, I expect that would take me out of consideration for this type of work. If I'm wrong, I'd be glad to be considered, but I'd be interested in knowing if moms would really seek out such a narrowly defined portrait session vs a typical kids/family session with a few shots of the child breastfeeding.

Here are a couple of our younger daughter:

http://maland.smugmug.com/gallery/12...9272841/Medium
http://maland.smugmug.com/gallery/12...2507597/Medium
http://maland.smugmug.com/gallery/12...3947458/Medium

- Phil
http://www.philmaland.com/

P.S. I'm in the Seattle area, eastside near Woodinville.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmaland View Post
I have a side business doing photography, and am completely supportive of breastfeeding, but being a guy, I expect that would take me out of consideration for this type of work. If I'm wrong, I'd be glad to be considered, but I'd be interested in knowing if moms would really seek out such a narrowly defined portrait session vs a typical kids/family session with a few shots of the child breastfeeding.

- Phil

I just want to jump in and say that this is my husband. : I sent him the link to this thread as I thought he might find the idea interesting for his business.

Jill
Old 11-16-2007, 02:43 PM

And to answer your original questions:

Would you want to have portraits of your nursling nursing? Yes.

Would you want to have prints? Yes.

Would size would you want those prints to be? Probably 5x7 unless it was an exceptional picture than I would certainly go larger.

If you didn't want prints, would you like to have them printed in a book? No.

If you did have prints, where would you hang them? Up for everyone to see, or in a more private area? I would not be opposed to hanging them in a public area of my home.

I think the choice of breastfeeding pictures, offered with other photo choices is a great idea. FWIW, my husband gives all of his clients a CD with their finished photos on it. Then they are welcome to print exactly what they might want. He does occasionally do prints from a good lab for people who request it but he doesn't mark up the price. But his photography business is not his main living so he doesn't have to price his time and prints in such a way as to live off of them.

Best of luck to you in your new venture!
Jill
Old 11-16-2007, 02:50 PM

Fellow photog here. I always suggest to my newborn clients (well their parents actually LOL) nursing photos. Most take me up on it but then order a 4x6 or something equally unimpressive.
I did have nursing photos done w/ my DD a few years ago but they arent very good. I would love to have some more done now with DS.

Here are my answers:

YES!

YES

depends on the photo - 5x7 for personal or maybe8x10 for bedroom wall. Not too big

YES

Depends on what you can see
Old 11-16-2007, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmaland View Post

Here are a couple of our younger daughter:

http://maland.smugmug.com/gallery/12...9272841/Medium
http://maland.smugmug.com/gallery/12...2507597/Medium
http://maland.smugmug.com/gallery/12...3947458/Medium

- Phil

Phil,
I love your photos! I love the newborn one and can't wait to get some of those myself, but I also love that one with both your daughter's in the frame.

I'm interested in reading what others think about having a man take such portraits. I believe that they'd be more comfortable knowing that you are supportive of breastfeeding, and have taken beautiful shots of your own nursling.

And while I've known a few women (including myself) who have asked photographers to take nursing photos, those photographers have been women. I personally found a woman photographer because I knew I was going to ask her to take breastfeeding photos, though I'm not sure if the others did this.

Most of my "clients" (I'm just starting out, so that feels weird ) have told me straight out that they're not very modest, and this leads me to believe that they'd feel fine having a man take these portraits. I know that if I hadn't been able to find the kind of photographer I wanted (there were a bunch of things involved in the situation), I would have been comfortable having a man take pictures of me nursing.

I'm just not sure that my husband would have been.

Anyway, Phil - if you do start taking such portraits, let me know! I'd really like to start a network or database of photographers who specialize in breastfeeding portraits.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:00 PM

Would you want to have portraits of your nursling nursing? Yes, yes and yes. I try to get DH to utelize our Nikon (I dabble in photography as a pure enthusiast) but it's not the same, bless him!

Would you want to have prints? Yes! Would LOVE to.

Would size would you want those prints to be? I'd like the option of wallets, prefer 4x6, 5x7 and an option of 8x10.

If you didn't want prints, would you like to have them printed in a book? Can I have them printed in a book if I want prints anyway?

If you did have prints, where would you hang them? Up for everyone to see, or in a more private area? Up for everyone. If I had the option for wallets, I'd show it off. If I had some 4x6 or 5x7, I would add them to a collage frame.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

LOL, it took me a while to post that last one and two more posts were made in that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillChristina View Post
I think the choice of breastfeeding pictures, offered with other photo choices is a great idea. FWIW, my husband gives all of his clients a CD with their finished photos on it. Then they are welcome to print exactly what they might want. He does occasionally do prints from a good lab for people who request it but he doesn't mark up the price. But his photography business is not his main living so he doesn't have to price his time and prints in such a way as to live off of them.

Best of luck to you in your new venture!
Jill
Jill,
I'll have to look more thoroughly at Phil's site. The way your husband operates is the way I planned to run mine, but am getting advice to do otherwise. My husband works but makes very little, and so I'd like to make a good living being a photographer. I particularly want to look at how he charges for his skills and talents, and if he charges for the copyright release.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommytoTwo View Post
I did have nursing photos done w/ my DD a few years ago but they arent very good. I would love to have some more done now with DS.
The photos I had done with dd a few years ago (mentioned above) weren't exactly what I was looking for either - I wanted more of the kind of photo that reminded me of what I saw when I was nursing my child. My photographer attempted that, but it wasn't something that I would hang up either. That is part of what got me started in this biz.

Thanks for sharing! I'll check out your profile to see if you have a link to your site; I love to see photographer's work.

User Tag List