Pacifiers ???????? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 63 Old 11-21-2007, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do pacifiers intefere with breast feeding? What are some of you ladies views on pacifiers.

hola.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 63 Old 11-21-2007, 07:05 PM

I can really only speak from my experience with ds, and the pacifier did not interfere with bfing at all. If anything, it helped. I know many people do not agree with that, but that was my experience. My dd would not take one, she would spit it out and cry, so it didn't work for me with #2!
#3 of 63 Old 11-21-2007, 07:36 PM

Mine would not take one so I don't know from experience. The theory is that if given too early the babe is satisfying some of his/her sucking needs on something other than the breast. Therefore, the breast, in theory, would make less milk than it would if the baby was spending that sucking on the breast. I would wait to introduce at the very least. Can't hurt!
#4 of 63 Old 11-21-2007, 08:04 PM

I absolutely positively think pacifiers interfere with breastfeeding. I watched a cousin struggle and give up on breastfeeding (I am NOT dissing her, she was incredibly strong during this as well as going thru a abusive relationship at the time so there was more to the situation than just binkies.) after well meaning nurses gave her baby a pacifier soon after birth. the breast is the natural pacifier for a newborn and it benefits both mom and baby to be the pacifier. In all honesty with both of mine I tried pacifiers after 3 months and they wouldn't have anything to do with em and that was the earliest I felt comfortable introducing a pacifier.
#5 of 63 Old 11-21-2007, 08:26 PM

Any artificial nipple *can* interfere with breastfeeding. Do they always? Of course not. Is it a risk every time you choose one? Yes.

-Angela
#6 of 63 Old 11-21-2007, 08:30 PM

I think it depends. Before ds I swore that no child of mine would ever have a pacifier.

But I got a baby who wanted to nurse ALL.THE.TIME. Even after he fell asleep I could not unlatch him without him desperatly grasping for my breast. So I started slipping the pacifier to him after he fell asleep and he would take it. I was careful not to start this until he was at least a month old, and also I never used it as a substitute when he was nursing to get the milk (only when comfort nursing...and I still gave him PLENTY of that.)

At 9 months old, he started rejecting the pacifier, cold turkey. So that was the end of that.

And by the way, he is now 2.5 years, I am 6 months pregnant and he still nurses a LOT. So in my case it did not interfere with nursing at all. In fact, it probably helped, because breastfeeding was incredibly painful for me until he was 4.5 months old, so using the pacifer gave my nipples a much needed rest from time to time.

Having said this, I do believe that there are situations where using a pacifier will interfere with breastfeeding.

Mom to DS March '05 and : DD Feb. '08
#7 of 63 Old 11-21-2007, 09:09 PM

I had a pacifier until I was close to 4. : I did not want to fight that battle with my own child so I never considered it with ds. I do feel like he was/is a significant comfort nurser but I prefer he get that comfort from me. I also think they can be way overused. I watched my mil CONSTANTLY give my nephew his when he was just making sweet baby noises like they do, not fussing at all. It's one thing to give a child one as comfort for sleeping but I can't stand seeing kids out during the day with them or parents shoving them in the kids' mouths while playing.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#8 of 63 Old 11-21-2007, 10:05 PM

If you have a baby with reflux, pacifiers are a wonderful, wonderful thing. We actually went out and bought a pacifier for him when he was 2 days old becuase he needed to suck, but the milk was upseting his stomach. He's had it his entire life, and it was a HUGE help with reflux in his first year. He's two now, and only uses it at night when he still has reflux symptoms.

Other than an overactive letdown, we've never had any problems breastfeeding. And honestly, I just don't get the logic behind pacifiers = breastfeeding problems. I mean, babies aren't dumb... they're not going to decide they prefer non-nutritive sucking over the sucking that gets them delicious food, you know? As long as you're getting the baby to the breast often enough to build your supply, I think you'll be fine.

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
#9 of 63 Old 11-21-2007, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belleweather View Post
And honestly, I just don't get the logic behind pacifiers = breastfeeding problems. I mean, babies aren't dumb... they're not going to decide they prefer non-nutritive sucking over the sucking that gets them delicious food, you know? As long as you're getting the baby to the breast often enough to build your supply, I think you'll be fine.
i totally agree. we used a pacifer and ds was a champ nurser!

each babe is different - some love paci's, some don't. some get bf'ing right off the bat, some don't. you just have to see how your babe does.

good luck!
#10 of 63 Old 11-22-2007, 12:08 AM

They can interfere in some cases.

That said, I had one baby who got formula and glucose water in the hospital and had a pacifier from birth : and never had a latch or suck issue.

My DD was born at home and was very colicky and we *tried* to comfort her by offering a pacifier when she wouldn't nurse and she refused to take it at all.

I believe it's safest to avoid them for the first six weeks or so until your milk supply is well established. The more the baby nurses in those early weeks, the more milk receptors your breasts will develop which will assist in a full supply of milk for your baby.

Here's an explanation of the physiology of milk production:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/milkproduction.html
#11 of 63 Old 11-22-2007, 12:09 AM

I was dead set against them with DS but after three weeks of pacifying him with my finger (he wouldn't want to comfort nurse - too much milk, I think - he just wanted to suck) I figured how it wasn't much different to offer him a paci instead and give my finger a break, LOL! We only gave it to him when he was upset but wouldn't/couldn't (i.e. car seat) nurse, and he only used it till around 5 months and then rejected it.
#12 of 63 Old 11-22-2007, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Any artificial nipple *can* interfere with breastfeeding. Do they always? Of course not. Is it a risk every time you choose one? Yes.

-Angela
I honestly do not understand how a silicone or rubber nipple that does not produce milk can interfere with a warm booby that does. That makes no sense to me. If it did, why are there so many breastfed babies who do not take pacis? It is not logical at all. I would like to see research that demonstrates this before I will believe it.

My first loved hers and was EBF and my current baby uses one but only sparingly. Not that I don't give it to her but that she chooses not to use it a lot. She is also EBF. So, I think it is bunk and a myth that it interferes with breastfeeding. It is far more likely that paci users are just more likely to use bottles than pacis actually interfere with breastfeeding.
#13 of 63 Old 11-22-2007, 12:15 AM

Ds all out refused them from birth on. He would spit it out immediately and look at me like "WTF is that?!" He wanted boob and nothing else, although he would take expressed breastmilk in a bottle when I went back to work when he was 5 months old. Some babies like them, some don't. I really don't know if they interfere with BF from personal experience, but I have read that you shouldn't introduce one until you are sure that your baby has learned to have a consistently good latch.

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#14 of 63 Old 11-22-2007, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowpansy View Post
I honestly do not understand how a silicone or rubber nipple that does not produce milk can interfere with a warm booby that does. That makes no sense to me. If it did, why are there so many breastfed babies who do not take pacis? It is not logical at all. I would like to see research that demonstrates this before I will believe it.
#1. It's a different sucking motion
#2. Sucking NOT at the breast can lead to a reduction in supply

There's tons of research- go read any breastfeeding-friendly source. This is well accepted.

-Angela
#15 of 63 Old 11-22-2007, 12:46 AM

We held of pacifiers until 3-4 weeks and then it was no problem. My son never had a problem nursing and my supply did not suffer at all but we did not introduce it at all for a little bit.
#16 of 63 Old 11-22-2007, 01:09 AM

Good luck. All three of my babes refused anything but the boob, although they would suck on my finger? But try all types of paci's we did just all a waste of money. Wish I could say what does LLL suggest??

Mama of 4 all born at home : Mothering
#17 of 63 Old 11-22-2007, 01:42 AM

I would not recommend using a pacifier. I would have traded my bad breastfeeding experience (my son took a pacifier) with a baby that wanted to suck all the time. My son latched pretty well after birth and for the first 12 hours+/ THEN THEY CIRCUMSICED HIM and GAVE HIM A PACIFIER. Thing started going down hill from there. Its a long story, but I am trying to heal from it even now. I love to breastfeed, but I had to give up and pump breastmilk until my son was 5 months old. I would much rather have a baby that needs to be breastfed alot than a baby who does not breastfeed at all because of multiple problems including nipple/suck confusion from pacifier. NOT worth it in my opinion. I speak from experience here. I have had 2 pretty good breastfeeding experiences before my last baby.
#18 of 63 Old 11-22-2007, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbsgirl View Post
I would not recommend using a pacifier. I would have traded my bad breastfeeding experience (my son took a pacifier) with a baby that wanted to suck all the time. My son latched pretty well after birth and for the first 12 hours+/ THEN THEY CIRCUMSICED HIM and GAVE HIM A PACIFIER.

Circumcision causes many breastfeeding problems.

-Angela
#19 of 63 Old 11-22-2007, 02:15 AM

My baby got frustrated whenever I had letdown and she only wanted to suck. And suck and suck and suck. After many tears, much soul searching, agonizing over soothers, frustration and pinky sucking, I got her a soother. She is much more even keeled and happy as a result, as is her mom! I don't think there was much interference in my experience with BFing, and we're doing really well with the BFing. She literally will "phoo!" spit out the paci if she wants the boob instead, so I have no worries.
#20 of 63 Old 11-22-2007, 02:31 AM

IMHO every baby is different and you can't really plan for it. Have a couple pacifiers on hand just in case.

My DS also had to suck while sleeping. I could not deal with him being attached to me the entire time. I don't mean that I was irritated with it, I mean that I could NOT handle it. I wanted to scream and had to get him off of me. A pacifier was our best solution. He really only needed it for a few months and by 6 months he was totally done with it. I don't think it was a problem with our breastfeeding relationship.

I think you'll know what's right for you and your baby when the time comes.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#21 of 63 Old 11-22-2007, 03:49 AM

I belive that the strong sucking reflex is instinctual in babies for a reason, and it certainly hasnt developed so that they can suck on plastic.

The extra non nutritive suckling at the breast has a purpose, releases hormones in mama, stimulates more supply, comforts and nurtures the newborn.

so for that reason alone, we do not use pacifiers. I don't think theyare cute, I dont like plastic artificial nipples, not for us.

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
#22 of 63 Old 11-22-2007, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inchijen View Post
I belive that the strong sucking reflex is instinctual in babies for a reason, and it certainly hasnt developed so that they can suck on plastic.

The extra non nutritive suckling at the breast has a purpose, releases hormones in mama, stimulates more supply, comforts and nurtures the newborn.

so for that reason alone, we do not use pacifiers. I don't think theyare cute, I dont like plastic artificial nipples, not for us.
: I wouldn't care if it was proven that pacis don't affect bf'ing, I would never give my child silicone and plastic to suck on. I really don't see how that fits in with NFL at all.
#23 of 63 Old 11-22-2007, 04:24 AM

Not in our experiences. All my boys took pacifiers occasionally, gave them up when they got teeth (the first two at 10 months, the third at 8 months). Easy.

My daughter wanted (still wants) hers constantly. I attached it to her shirt because if we didn't have a binky & thats what she wanted we were in trouble. She knew when she was done nursing, but still wanted to suck on something. By 4 mnths or so she was reaching for it on her own and popping it in her mouth when she was through nursing. I just weaned her last week & she still needs that binky! I used to be anti-binky past age 2, but I am not worried about it anymore, you know, cause I can see she *needs* that. It helps her. Fine. I'm all about being flexible with stuff around here ; ) We're going to try to cut it to naps & bedtime sometime in the new year though.

aisling
#24 of 63 Old 11-22-2007, 04:52 AM

DD had one until she was almost 2.5y. We did it from the beginning, but will try to skip it with this coming kid. I have a feeling we'll use one, though, due to the aforementioned need to suck. We had no problem breastfeeding due to the pacifier.

Jenn
#25 of 63 Old 11-22-2007, 11:45 AM

Quote:
#1. It's a different sucking motion
#2. Sucking NOT at the breast can lead to a reduction in supply

There's tons of research- go read any breastfeeding-friendly source. This is well accepted.

-Angela
:

Especially important if you have a low-supply - you want all the stimulation you can at the breast. Again, of course not everyone will have a problem as a result of giving a pacifier. I still believe it is a risk to introduce to early.
#26 of 63 Old 11-22-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aishy View Post
My daughter wanted (still wants) hers constantly. I attached it to her shirt because if we didn't have a binky & thats what she wanted we were in trouble. She knew when she was done nursing, but still wanted to suck on something. By 4 mnths or so she was reaching for it on her own and popping it in her mouth when she was through nursing. I just weaned her last week & she still needs that binky! I used to be anti-binky past age 2, but I am not worried about it anymore, you know, cause I can see she *needs* that. It helps her. Fine. I'm all about being flexible with stuff around here ; ) We're going to try to cut it to naps & bedtime sometime in the new year though.

aisling
If she still has a sucking need, then what she *needs* is to still be nursing.

-Angela
#27 of 63 Old 11-22-2007, 12:11 PM

My dd has a pacifier that she thinks is just a fun thing to play around with sometimes. I introduced it to her when she was probably around 9 mos. She is 17 now and it have never interfered with our bfing relationship. She just spits it out if she's actually serious about sucking on something and runs over to me !

Divorced mama to baby girl (7/5/06) and baby boy (8/5/08) Into anything fun and creative!
#28 of 63 Old 11-22-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atobols View Post
Have a couple pacifiers on hand just in case.

I would actually *not* have them on hand in the early days. I do think they can have a time and place but I would work very hard to avoid them in the first 6 weeks.

-Angela
#29 of 63 Old 11-22-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
If she still has a sucking need, then what she *needs* is to still be nursing.

-Angela
*G* but she did use the pacifier more than she nursed anyway. I don't feel one bit of guilt about weaning her, this is the youngest i've weaned a child though and I feel kind of bad but shes taking it fine and we're happy.
#30 of 63 Old 11-22-2007, 01:35 PM

We had no problems with breastfeeding and using pacifiers. DS was given one in the hospital and he did fine with it. We gave them to him every now and then at home when I needed a break and he wasn't hungry, just wanted to suck. He still got plenty of time at the breast, but I certainly couldn't sit with him latched on to me all day, ya know? He gave up pacis on his own....oh, I want to say around six months? If he finds one now, he'll play with it, and occasionally even pop it in his mouth, but he's certainly not attached to them, using them never affected my supply, etc. That may not be the case for everyone, but that was our experience.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page