Breastfeeding while taking Lamictal - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-01-2007, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, I was referred here by a friend to hopefully find some information about breastfeeding while taking Lamictal. I was diagnosed with epilepsy almost 2 years ago, and asked to not become pregnant again. Well, such is life and we are now expecting a little girl in a few weeks after 4 boys.

The lamictal has been great through the pregnancy. We've avoided any visible birth defects, that we know of through ultrasound, and she seems to be growing healthy and on schedule. Now we are to the "do we breastfeed or not" hurdle.

I've done an abundance of my own research. I speak to my neurologist in a few weeks and the pediatrician next week. I was hoping to find someone who has taken Lamictal and successfully breastfed.

Thank you, Jamie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2007, 02:21 PM

Have you checked Hale's book? It's pretty much the breastfeeding/drugs bible. If it's not clear I would contact him directly.

good luck!

-Angela
Old 12-01-2007, 02:58 PM

its called Medications and Mothers Milk, by Thomas Hale, phd, it is an excellent resource for all drugs related to breastfeeding and pregnancy.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:36 PM

I nursed my son for 20months and am now nursing my 7 week old while taking 200mg per day of lamictal. I also work with a woman whose neurologist okayed lamictal and breastfeeding for her (500mg per day). She didn't nurse long though (but that was due to having trouble coping with epilepsy in general not the lamictal).

I take it for bipolar and my psychiatrist did a bit of research on it for me. His wife does CLW and they cosleep so he understands the motivation of making breastfeeding work. But he also was very careful. He spoke to a PharmD at the university hospital, looked through journal articles and refered to Hale.

My kids developed in utero with this med in their blood since they had blood. So it is unlikely that they would have had the kind of side effects you get when you first start lamictal. We went ahead and watched for 2 things: sleepiness in the newborn period and "the rash". My kids were sleepy but I don't know if they were more sleepy than others. My son has always been healthy and my 7 week old girl has been very healthy so far. And they both have hardy skin and almost never had rashes. Whenever they had a rash that was the least bit suspicious, we had it checked immediately.

Hope that helps,
Ella
Old 12-01-2007, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Yes! Thank you, that is exactly the type of information I was hoping to hear. I have been looking for women who have done it and had no problems, but all I come across are women who did the research and decided not to. I've yet to find someone whose infant had an adverse reaction.

Did your ped do any additional bloodwork for the baby to check her levels?

I'll check out the Hale book as well. I've used it before, but this is the first time I've ever been on a "have to have" medication like this.

I appreciate the help.

Jamie
Old 12-01-2007, 04:56 PM

My psychiatrist thought we might want to watch blood levels of my babies but my pediatrician did not think it was necessary. I don't really know the thinking behind their differing points of views so I can't comment on it.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Jamie I am so glad you found someone here with real life experience with this issue to help you.

BTW welcome to Mothering.

Heidi

User Tag List