baby is huge! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-06-2007, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
See my user name? Yup gotta fat baby here. Or rather did. She's now 6. She was 25 lbs at 5 months. Birthweight a normal 7 lbs 13 oz. She was always over 100% in wt but only 12% or so in height so she was much fatter looking than most fat babies. I never worried. And she finally did start growing upwards instead of outwards. She is a very big eater to this day though and will eat constantly and anything if we let her.

My son was 7 lbs at birth is now 3.5 years old and weighs 28 lbs.

My youngest is 3.5 weeks old and is going to be like her sissy I think. She was 8lbs 10 oz at birth and 9 lbs 13 oz at 2 weeks.

I would share a pic of thatfatbaby but I can't figure out how to work shutterfly. grr Too use to photobucket. Anyway here's some fat baby pics. http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...AaNHDZu0YuWLjQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2007, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klg47 View Post
You may have an experience like DWAXSMOM, but on the other hand, don't let the doctors bully you if your baby stops gaining weight. I already posted about my 3 baby chunkers, but I didn't mention that my oldest quit gaining rapidly after he reached 20 pounds. So he steadily dropped down the percentiles. That is a common red flag for doctors. But if they think about it logically, they would realize that it's OK for a huge baby to slow down or stop gaining entirely and still be perfectly fine. My first was 8#8oz. at birth and I'm quite certain he reached 20 pounds well before a year, though I have no records here in front of me.
This is my son as well. He was 9lb 12oz at birth and gained weight rapidly over the first couple of months - seriously, he had rolls on his rolls ... but now he's just your average chunky one year old, slimming down nicely especially now that he's mobile. People still make comments about his chub (even though he technically hasn't gained much weight at all for months) and talk about how he must "like his food" which is interesting considering he eats considerably less solids than the majority of babies his age.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:19 PM

All 3 of mine were huge as well. ANd I agree to be on the defensive for docs who get concerned if they quit gaining. As long as they grow in length and head circumference and are meeting milestones, no weight gain is ok for a fat baby. My middle son gained *0* weight between 6 and 18 months. That's a whole year with maybe a couple ounces of weight gain. He's fine and perfectly happy now. He was a huge fat baby and now he's a skinny preschooler.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

THANKS so much for all your posts! First, for saying my little guy is cute and then for the reassurance that big babies are just fine and there are a lot of them out there. I appreciate hearing from ALL of you!

Kim & Max
Old 12-13-2007, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter

>>>>>>>I would share a pic of thatfatbaby but I can't figure out how to work shutterfly. grr Too use to photobucket. Anyway here's some fat baby pics. http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...AaNHDZu0YuWLjQ[/QUOTE]

Oh my gosh-- adorable! Love the rolls! :
Kim
Old 12-13-2007, 04:26 AM

ferliemom, My little guy is your baby's body double! His head/neck area is identical to my ds's, I love that huge double chin Honestly I'm astounded, it's like clicking on a pic of my baby with different color hair/facial features,lol! My son is 4 months old and was born at 9lbs 8oz, he is now over 21 pounds and exclusively breastfed. My family always jokes that I make cream instead of milk because my babies are always fat...
Old 12-13-2007, 04:32 AM

DS was 11lbs 4 oz at birth and last weight check at 3 1/2 months was 20 lbs.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:05 AM

Your baby is so adorable!!

We weighed DS last week and he was 16 lbs 6 oz at (I think) at 15 weeks of age, and he was 25.5 inches long! This was from 8 lbs, 3 oz at birth. And we thought our baby was big. He's wearing mostly 6 to 9 month clothes.

Pics at gallery.sysadmininc.com
Old 12-13-2007, 10:09 AM

Wow, I love reading about big healthy breastfed babes!

Did your dr say anything? My sister has a huge breastfed baby (he doubled birthweight in 2 months) and the dr tried to make her start rice cereal at 4 months so he would "slim down". Apparently her dr hadn't read any of the research suggesting that starting solids too soon (rice cereal no less, and spoon fed to top it!) can actually lead to obesity later in life... But, she's smart, she politely declined and waited until he was trying to finger feed himself and then let him take the lead on eating solids.

My first baby was big, but not nearly this big My second baby is *small* (started at over 8 pounds, but has special needs, so we struggle for every ounce of weight) At 9 months old he's only now 17 pounds!!

If anyone comments to you about his size, somehow incorporate breastfeeding into your answer..."how old is he?" "4 months" "4 months!!! He's huge!!" "Yep, he sure likes his mommy's milk, it's obviously doing its job." Or something like that.

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
Old 12-13-2007, 01:40 PM

While my DD was never a big baby, one boy in her DC room was HUGE too. At 8 months he weighed 38 lbs. He is the sweetest little boy, but just totally huge. Like others, he ate pretty little compared to others in the room. I don't think he has gained any weight in the last 10 months, maybe even lost weight. He is almost 20 months now and looks like any other 2y/o.

Chunky babies are adorable. As for the Cloth diapers, give it a bit of time and try again. We didn't go full time till about 7 months because we couldn't find a system that would work for us. Now we have no problems at all.

W (26) and C (27) parenting G (11/06 ) and D (2/09 ) plus a new one (3/11)
Sometimes the greener grass is actually AstroTurf, a false promise and nothing more.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:53 PM

despite my dh's grandmother and my mom telling me he would be too fat to crawl/sit up/walk...i kept exclusively bf my ds...

he was 32lbs and 23 in at 6 mos!!! Wow! He has been exclusively breast fed for a year and then we started encouraging him to eat food! He still gets most of his calories from breast milk, but he is 30lbs and 26 in at 19 mos! He is very healthy and strong. That initial fat baby slowed down with us and then he leveled out! Luckily we have a great pediatrician that is pro bf! He carries the baby to the other drs. and tells them "This is a REAL bf baby!" DS doesn't walk ... he RUNS!

Keep up the good work mama!
Old 12-16-2007, 10:10 PM

ds #6 was 8#4 at birth. At 2 mo he was 17#4 and 25". He has gained on average a pound a week, and I'm guessing that he is somewhere around 20# at 3 mo. He wears 9 mo clothes. MY ds #4 was 9#4 at birth and 20# at 3 mo. My first dd was smaller on the growth charts than her siblings. But most of my other kids have followed similar "moose baby" growth. All are "average" or "normal" weights now although they seem on the tall end for their age. I chalk it up to kids just getting larger in general in the US. DH and I are pretty average (he's 5'11, I'm 5'4.). I did find that they lost weight once they started walking and would chub up then grow up, then chub up, then grow up, etc, etc and it continues even in my teenagers. So it is completely normal, and I think because they are BF and fed on demand (that's what I do too), they will less likely have weight issues when older. JMHO.

Katie, mama to Katherine 21, Christian 19, Johannah 17, Nicholas 12, Genevieve 10, Matthew 7, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with my husband, Scott
Old 12-17-2007, 12:30 AM

Yep my breastfed babies were gigantic till about 6 months. In fact they regained their birthweight by the time we left the hospital, and doubled their birthweight in 6 weeks. Then they slowed way down when they got active. In the 2nd half of the first year they are pretty average, or even a bit smaller than their FF buddies.

No worries mama. Your babe is fine.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommytoTwo View Post
Yep my breastfed babies were gigantic till about 6 months. In fact they regained their birthweight by the time we left the hospital, and doubled their birthweight in 6 weeks. Then they slowed way down when they got active. In the 2nd half of the first year they are pretty average, or even a bit smaller than their FF buddies.

No worries mama. Your babe is fine.
This has been my experience too. Avery gained 1 pound by the time she was a week old (a pound! Whose kid gains a freaking pound when they are a week-old newborn? I thought they lost weight?!). And those lovely little rolls everywhere, she looked like the Pillsbury Doughboy by the time 5 months rolled around. She is 7 months now, and it seems as though she is trimming down some because she is cruising everywhere.

I love chubby babies!
Old 01-03-2008, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Mamas,

Well, my "little" man Max just keeps growing!
4 months: 23# and 26".
4 1/2 months: 25# and 27"!!! :

He's been teething lately, and sick, and has started to "graze" nurse throughout the day. He wants to comfort nurse more at night and naps because of his teeth, I think. I'm going on what all of you mamas have said and trying not to worry about the scale and just nursing him on demand when he's hungry or asking for comfort.

Anyway, another question for you. What do all of you moms with big babies prefer for a baby carrier? I have a Moby which I love, and it still works for us, but I wonder what else is out there? Ergo? Maya? What do you like and recommend that will help me wear my baby as long as possible.
As long as I keep him in the Moby, I have no problems with back discomfort at this time.

Thanks!
Kim
Old 01-03-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesshannon2002 View Post
He carries the baby to the other drs. and tells them "This is a REAL bf baby!"

So, is my fully breastfed son who weighs 15 pounds at 3 months (up from 8 pounds at birth) considered a "real bf baby" by the drs standards? You can still have a "real bf baby" and not see large amounts of weight gain.

Sorry, that just rubbed me the wrong way....nothing against the poster of that comment.

Rikki ~~ Married Aug 04 ~~ DD Feb 06 ~~ DS Oct 07 ~~ DD April 12

User Tag List