baby is huge! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 46 Old 12-05-2007, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi All,

This is my first post here!
My son Max is exclusively BF, and he's HUGE!!

He is 3 1/2 months old, and we were just at the doctor today for a check up on our first cold. Boo hoo. Anyway, I knew my baby was big, but I found out today he is in the 120th percentile for weight! (and 90th for height.) He is 22# and 25" long. He was 9.2 at birth, and 21" long.

He is BF totally on demand. Mostly every 2 - 2 1/2 hours during the day, but sometimes less and sometimes more. He jumps around a lot at night, sometimes sleeping only 2-3 hours, other times 6-7. We co-sleep.

I'm just wondering if any other mamas out there have very large babies. I've read all about not limiting their nursing, they will slim down as they begin to crawl, etc etc, I just wanted to hear others' stories and get support!
Okay, thanks!
Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 46 Old 12-05-2007, 01:29 AM

My DS#2 was 9.5 pounds at birth, 10lbs 3 oz at one week of age, and 20 pounds at 6 months... He is now 9 months old and 23 pounds, so he is starting to slim down a little. He was EBF for seven months, now he gets the occasional solids. We feed on demand.

Some babies are off the top of the weight charts, some babies are off the bottom... As long as they are healthy and meeting milestones, the weight charts don't really mean much.
#3 of 46 Old 12-05-2007, 01:32 AM

Welcome to MDC!

My #2 is also huge, off the charts. She is 6 mos in two weeks and she is already about to bust out of 9 mos clothes. She is not super fat, just tall. She is also exclusively breastfed. Go figure!

She was 8.5 lbs and 21.5 inches at birth and was 17.5 lbs and 26 inches at her 4 mos checkup!
#4 of 46 Old 12-05-2007, 01:32 AM

Welcome to the chunky Breastfed babies "club"!!

Mine were all HUGE breastfeeding chunksters and yes, they all "even" out. Don't listen to anyone who tells you to limit their nursing/feedings.

My middle child is 3 yrs old and has weighed 31 lbs since he was around 15 months old.

My DD is 11 months old and weighs 29 lbs...she'll probably stay this size for a while, given the growth patterns of her brothers.

Enjoy those fat rolls! YUM!
#5 of 46 Old 12-05-2007, 01:52 AM

Two things:

1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferliemom View Post
I found out today he is in the 120th percentile for weight!
You may want to suggest that your doctor/nurse take a statistics class 99th is the highest percentile possible (see this link).

2) Don't worry about your baby at all! None of my three were quite that big, but they were all *very fat*, and my two oldest are now quite skinny. My youngest just turned 3 months old. I weighed him 5 weeks ago and he was 15 pounds then - I have no idea how big he is now. I am a believer that breastfeeding on demand is always wonderful, even if it results in a very fat baby!
#6 of 46 Old 12-05-2007, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Hi All,

Thanks for all your replies and support.
It helps to know there are other mamas out there who are doing the same thing and succeeding.

We've still got all your babies beat in terms of size , but hey, big babies run in my family, and my little guy was big at birth.

Here are a couple of pictures on our blog taken a few weeks ago of my little chub. http://maxarthur.com/?p=243
Kim
#7 of 46 Old 12-05-2007, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

You may want to suggest that your doctor/nurse take a statistics class 99th is the highest percentile possible

lol-- Yes, I know!
I think he was estimating to indicate how huge my son is!
K
#8 of 46 Old 12-05-2007, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

>>>>My youngest just turned 3 months old. I weighed him 5 weeks ago and he was 15 pounds then - I have no idea how big he is now.

That's about right. My guy was 15 pounds at his 2 month check up.
K
#9 of 46 Old 12-05-2007, 03:50 PM

My son is 3 months old and he is 26" and weighs in at 17lbs 4oz and he is 100% bf and yes he's dr did say he would loose the weight later. I think chubby babies are beautiful but it's starting to bother me when people make comments like OH THAT BABY IS TOO HUGE!! I mean as a mom I can tell when some one means that in a bad way, my son is not overweight he is just a breasfed baby and his cheeks are very kissable. Any moms out here that can relate to this?
#10 of 46 Old 12-05-2007, 04:03 PM

Your baby is ADORABLE!!! He looks like a happy little sumo wrestler.

I poked around a little on your blog : ... looks like you were a bit of a sumo baby yourself. I wouldn't worry about it. If people say things to you about it, just take it as a compliment.

Congratulations!

jillian+1 loves Miss MoJo (July 2007) and misses Henri (May 1970 - August 2009)
#11 of 46 Old 12-05-2007, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Good work! Congratulations on your big, healthy baby!
#12 of 46 Old 12-05-2007, 04:15 PM

My DS2 was 11 pounds, 0.4 ounces and 22.3" long at birth. Now, he's 4 months old, about 22 pounds and 26 inches long. He's almost outgrowing his 6-12 month clothes--they just fit! : I'm estimating, as we don't vax, so we don't make it to all our WB visits, but I know he's at least that big. His older brother was almost as big at birth and a very big baby, too. Both my little ones are/were very solid, though--no real rolls, just extremely strong; they do have the cute chubby cheeks, though!
#13 of 46 Old 12-05-2007, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLANCA26 View Post
Any moms out here that can relate to this?

Yes, I can relate to that!
How old is your baby?... WOW, he's HUGE!!!!!!!!! And then insert comments about how much your mom must love you to feed you sooooo much to make you sooooo fat!!!! : I mean, I get it, totally, but some folks have no tact! lol.
Kim
#14 of 46 Old 12-05-2007, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillian+1 View Post
Your baby is ADORABLE!!!... looks like you were a bit of a sumo baby yourself.

Ha ha, well, yes, big babies run in the family! But no one can remember a baby this age being this big!
Thanks for checking out the site, and for your nice comments. :
Kim
#15 of 46 Old 12-05-2007, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepyCat View Post
Good work! Congratulations on your big, healthy baby!
Thank you!!!
#16 of 46 Old 12-05-2007, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben'sMama View Post
Now, he's 4 months old, about 22 pounds and 26 inches long.
Sounds like Eben is exactly the same size as Max. Max does have some rolls and big cheeks, but if you stretch him out, the overall impression is like you said-- solid.

I read that you don't vax your boys? We haven't given Max any vaccines either. And we co-sleep too, and no circ. I need your icons! lol. The only difference is in cloth diapering... I have not had any luck with that. I have tried 4 brands and had tons and tons of leaks. Very disappointing...

Well, thanks all! I will check in with the boards next week. We're leaving in the a.m. to visit my parents. They attend a large church about 3 hours south of here that puts on a big Christmas musical every year, and Max has been asked to play the Baby Jesus! That's one big Jesus, lol. But can't pass up a chance for him to do something like this-- fun stories for when he grows up. Wish us luck!
#17 of 46 Old 12-05-2007, 07:02 PM

To me that's certainly a well fed happy child.

Mine was on that side of the statistical curve and then she started walking at 9.5 months and her weight gain *dramatically* slowed. She's way too busy to sit down and do this nursing business. I don't do WBV so I don't know what percentile she's in, but she's moved from "Wow, that's a HUGE baby!" to "Hi you!" when strangers meet her.

Welcome to the boards. It's here that I really learned that babies come in all sizes and my almost 22 pounder 15 month old fits right in.
#18 of 46 Old 12-05-2007, 07:14 PM

Mine started out really large, gained quickly, nad then, when he got active, stopped gaining nearly as quickly.

In the last 9 months or so, he's gained about 5 pounds. At 15 months old, he's a very average 26 lbs. So, in our experience, it all evens out.
#19 of 46 Old 12-05-2007, 07:31 PM

My DD is 2 months and 15 #. She's soo cute and fantastic. I'm not surprised she 's a chubster because when i was a baby i was called "Mrs. Blimpo" by my older sister. dd is also ebf on demand, and cloth diapered and won't be getting any vaxes. I expect that she'll slim down once she gets mobile. that's what i did anyhow.
as for the big baby comments.. i don't get any negative ones... but then most people comment on our sling, instead.
#20 of 46 Old 12-05-2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Hi All,

This is my first post here!
My son Max is exclusively BF, and he's HUGE!!

He is 3 1/2 months old, and we were just at the doctor today for a check up on our first cold. Boo hoo. Anyway, I knew my baby was big, but I found out today he is in the 120th percentile for weight! (and 90th for height.) He is 22# and 25" long. He was 9.2 at birth, and 21" long.
Oh, let's see. My youngest was 7 lb 14 oz at birth and was 24 lb by 4 months, 30 lb by 6 months old, and 35 lb by one year.

My oldest was 8 lb at birth and was basically the same, except he was *only* 32 lb by 1 year.

Single mom of 2 boys
#21 of 46 Old 12-05-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:

Here are a couple of pictures on our blog taken a few weeks ago of my little chub. http://maxarthur.com/?p=243
Kim
What an angelic little chunky boy! He's so lovable! My daughter was also a very chunky baby but she's a pretty average sized toddler. She's on the tall and big side but not overweight at two.
#22 of 46 Old 12-05-2007, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Hi All,
Kim
Oh my gosh, your baby is cute! That picture put a smile on my face! My DS is a little big, too. He was 18 pounds at 4 months (up from 7 pounds at birth). He exclusively breastfeeds also.
#23 of 46 Old 12-05-2007, 08:20 PM

My DD was pretty big too She was 7lbs and 20 inches at birth and 21lbs and 28 inches at 6 months. At one year her weight had really stabilized (24lbs) but she's still really tall (32 inches at 12 months). She wears 18-24 month clothes. When I saw my Dr. for an injury, I had DD with me and he'd never seen her before. He's a family practice Dr. so he sees babies a lot. He looked at her and said "Oh cute! How old is she? 18 months?" I said - um, no - she's 9 months YAY for big healthy breastfed babies!

Mama to two wonderful DDs (10/06 and 09/08) and expecting a DS 1/1/11!
#24 of 46 Old 12-05-2007, 10:18 PM

LOL...I could not had said it better my self.
#25 of 46 Old 12-06-2007, 01:31 AM

OMG that baby is so darn CUTE!
#26 of 46 Old 12-06-2007, 02:36 AM

DS was huge for the first couple of months as well. My child health nurse told me he was gaining too much and to restrict his feeds!! Childhood obesity from breastmilk alone, who would've thought :
#27 of 46 Old 12-06-2007, 02:38 AM

My dd was 7lbs 6oz at birth, and was 20 pounds by 4 months. She was quite the effective nurser LOL She was 30 pounds by a year, 40 pounds by 2 and then has tapered off 45 pounds at 4. She weaned at 3.

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
#28 of 46 Old 12-06-2007, 02:44 AM

Keep up the good work. My first was born at 7.10 3 weeks early. was 12.5 at one month, 16.8 at two months, 22 pounds at three months, 32 pounds at one year, 40 pounds at two years. He walked at 9 months and NEVER slowed down in weight gain. He turned 7 two weeks ago and is 75 pounds without a lick of fat on him. He is ALL muscle. People were amazed that he could survive for about 18 mos on breastmilk as his main source of nutrition. people swore I was feeding him formula. Having big boys has it's challenges. Everyone thought he should be having conversations with them when he was 12 mos because he looked like he was three. Now he looks about 10. My second is a petite 35 pounds at 4.5 years. It is funny because he wears the hand-me-downs that my older son wore when he was one and two!
#29 of 46 Old 12-06-2007, 03:02 AM

You may have an experience like DWAXSMOM, but on the other hand, don't let the doctors bully you if your baby stops gaining weight. I already posted about my 3 baby chunkers, but I didn't mention that my oldest quit gaining rapidly after he reached 20 pounds. So he steadily dropped down the percentiles. That is a common red flag for doctors. But if they think about it logically, they would realize that it's OK for a huge baby to slow down or stop gaining entirely and still be perfectly fine. My first was 8#8oz. at birth and I'm quite certain he reached 20 pounds well before a year, though I have no records here in front of me. He's now 6 and still hasn't reached 40 pounds! Big babies don't always make big kids!
#30 of 46 Old 12-06-2007, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks for all your replies and support.
It helps to know there are other mamas out there who are doing the same thing and succeeding.

We've still got all your babies beat in terms of size , but hey, big babies run in my family, and my little guy was big at birth.

Kim
Oh...my...gosh...adorableness overload....going to go get pregnant now to have another one of my own....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page