No poop in EBF'd baby - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 12-09-2007, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My baby is 6 days old, he was born on monday the 3rd. He pooped a few times a day his first few days of life. He hasn't pooped yesterday or today. He had one tiny skid mark today, it was green. He is peeing more than enough, its 5pm and he already had 7 very wet disposable diapers. He looks like he is getting a little jaundiced. He looks like he is loosing weight, although I did not weigh him. He was born 8 lbs 7 oz and on discharge wednesday he was 8 lbs 1 oz. I did not receive fluids during labor or delivery, I had a completely natural hospital birth. (I showed up needing to push, no time for any intervention. ) I seem to have a massive over-supply. Block feeding doesn't seem to be working, I let him suck on the same boob for 2 hours at a time, and in a block for 6 hours and he still can't get it even 1/2 empty. I EP'd for my dd who couldn't latch, and at this time pp I was producing 120 oz a day. How do I lower my supply so that he gets some hind milk so he can poop and gain weight?
#2 of 16 Old 12-09-2007, 07:40 PM

In all my education, reading, and breastfeeding, here's my honest opinion.

First, with your supply, I think it will calm down a little once your body adjusts to him. In other words, it's supply and demand. If he's not nursing all of the milk, your body will stop producing so much of it. It takes a while to adjust, probably a few weeks of life.

As for the hindmilk, I've always been told that if they nurse for a good 10 minutes on one breast, the content will have changed over to hindmilk. There's only a certain amount of foremilk, just an "appetizer" of sorts. I wouldn't worry about that.

As for weight gain, I would talk to your doctor if you're really concerned. However, I do know that our family doctor told me they expect baby to have gained birth weight back by 2 weeks of life....you still have leeway. Be very careful of dehydration, though. You can check by wet diapers and by the condition of his skin. Is it ashy or is it moist and hydrated? If you gently "pinch" between his eyes, does it bounce back or stay pinched when you release?

As for poopy diapers, my little guy (he's 7.5 weeks old) had lots of meconium in the beginning. As he developed breastfed jaundice, though, they dwindled. He went two days without one at one point, when he was about as old as your baby. He subsequently pooped so much he blew out a diaper cover and all over his clothes! Personally, I'd check for hydration, nurse for 15-20 minutes on each side (at least), and talk to your doctor about weight gain if you're deeply concerned.

Most of all, trust your gut. If something doesn't feel right, then act. It's scary having a newborn around and all the what-if's.

Good luck and hope that helps!

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#3 of 16 Old 12-09-2007, 11:40 PM

Good advice from the pp...

I only add that I remember my babies both taking a poop hiatus around a week old. They were pretty regular until then, and that was about the time my milk supply was crazy-overwhelming and changing over completely from the colostrum. There are so many changes going on...you're doing the right thing, all you can, in nursing-nursing-nursing. We've had two peds, and both have said that babies should regain their birth weight within 2 weeks, so you've got some time. Does baby seem healthy, does he have energy?

And jaundice has different intensities...yellow eyes are a sign of danger, I remember that. Both of my babies have had a little jaundice for their first few days, it took over a week to clear up.

Trust your instincts, if you worry about the jaundice, take baby in.
#4 of 16 Old 12-10-2007, 11:55 AM

We had the poop hiatus at around a week old, too. (I love the term "poop hiatus," BTW.) When he finally did poop after about 2.5 days, it was a POOSPLOSION, so beware!
#5 of 16 Old 12-10-2007, 01:39 PM

Could you pump for a few minutes before feeding your LO to get rid of some of the foremilk?
#6 of 16 Old 12-10-2007, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Well I took him in today. He became lethargic and the jaundice is really bad. I have to put him on the biliblanket. I can't get him to bf at all now. Just when I thought bfing was going ok.....
#7 of 16 Old 12-10-2007, 06:57 PM

mama. I'm sorry you guys are having trouble. I hope he is back to the breast very soon.
#8 of 16 Old 12-11-2007, 12:16 AM

Oh Gooey, I know how bad this must be making you feel. I am so sorry. What does the LC say?
#9 of 16 Old 12-11-2007, 09:18 AM

Oh, Gooey

Prayers for your little one that he recovers quickly and you two go back to b'f'ing w/minimal problems.
#10 of 16 Old 12-11-2007, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

the bfing problems continue. i had this massive oversupply, now it is all gone. i hardly have any milk. i dont know what happened. yesterday i was grossly engorged and leaking, and now today I am floppy and dry. i am using an SNS with the little milk I can pump to make it easier for him to nurse. i am sick over this. i cant eat and now i can't even keep fluids in. dh had to go back to work, and here i am all alone with this sick baby and my demanding 2 year old who just doesn't understand. i have to take baby in today to have his level rechecked after 24 hours of the biliblankets, but i have a feeling he will be admitted.
#11 of 16 Old 12-11-2007, 02:24 PM

I'm so sorry this is happening to you. Please keep us posted as to what happens at the appt.

Please be sure to take care of you. You're so recently post partum, and with all this struggle, you're at an increased risk of PPD. Especially with the added stress of your husband returning to work and having a toddler. I can definitely relate to that! My oldest was hospitalized at 5 days old for a whole week due to newborn eating problems and severe dehydration; as a result of all that stress, I battled post partum depression for quite a while. Please, please, please keep the communication going and take care of you. More important than anything, your kiddies really need a healthy mommy...and we want you to be as happy as possible!!

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#12 of 16 Old 12-11-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katheek77 View Post
Oh, Gooey

Prayers for your little one that he recovers quickly and you two go back to b'f'ing w/minimal problems.
yeah that.
#13 of 16 Old 12-23-2007, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Its time for an update. He is now 3 weeks old (will be tomorrow, monday) and still not back to his birthweight but he is now gaining. The hyperbilirubenemia is resolving, he is down to a 10.9 and off the double biliblankets. Yay! He started to poop some. He has a bit more energy. I am pumping around the clock, and nursing through an SNS. He won't take a bottle, I am sure that would help him get better faster, but he wont have any part of it. That is upsetting, but it makes me feel good after having to EP for my dd. I hate the constant pumping and the SNS, but it is helping him to get better. The LC said it should be a few weeks before I can wean him off of the SNS, but it will be possible. I just wanted to update all who care!
#14 of 16 Old 12-23-2007, 03:28 PM

I just came across this thread, and was getting worried for you as I read along, so thanks for the update! It is good to hear that he is gaining now, and that you are working with an LC. And that he is pooping!

Is he nursing well with the SNS? Are you able to get a good latch? Did your supply increase after you started to pump? I hope that your transition to 100% at the breast goes well.

Hang in there!
#15 of 16 Old 12-23-2007, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

He does latch well. He nurses ok, just weakly and slowly. He is very tired. Thats why I use the SNS. It annoys him, he spits it out a lot, but we just deal with it. My supply has increased, I now have more milk than he seems to need.
#16 of 16 Old 12-23-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooeyRN View Post
My supply has increased, I now have more milk than he seems to need.
I'm so glad!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page