Pumping Colostrum - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-22-2007, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone been able to pump a good amount of colostrum? Can you freeze it? I have already been leaking it, so I'm wondering if I would be able to start pumping around 37 weeks {when it won't be a big deal if it causes contractions} to be able to build up a little supply before my surro son is here and hopefully make my milk come in a little sooner after he is born. We are planning for me to bf him right after birth so we can both get the benefits that go along with it. My IPs are getting about 2 weeks worth of milk from a donor to make sure he is at least getting BM until my supply is built up, but it'd be great if he is able to have the colostrum his first few days after I go home.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#2 of 8 Old 12-22-2007, 09:41 AM

You can freeze it, but you're better off using hand expression rather than a pump. Colostrum is usually expressed in small amounts, so by hand expressing directly into the container you're using, you avoid losing any (as you would with a pump). Also, many women actually find hand expression yields a greater volume of colostrum than pumping does.
#3 of 8 Old 12-22-2007, 05:40 PM

What you do collect, I would collect in a very small resevior, such as a spoon, and keep it in the smallest Tupperware you can find. It's such a small volume, this way you lose less on the sides on the containers.
#4 of 8 Old 12-22-2007, 05:45 PM

I used hand expression and used a 10-cc syringe (without the needle) to slurp up the drops off my skin. I froze it in the same syringe.

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
#5 of 8 Old 12-22-2007, 06:36 PM

All PP have given good suggestions (ones I wish I would have had!) I EP'd for my DS and got no colostrum using a double electric pump . Maybe I did get some, but it probably was all in the pump parts.
#6 of 8 Old 12-22-2007, 06:37 PM

If you can get your MD to give you 5-10 ml syringes, you can collect it in there, put the top on, label it with your name and DOB and throw it in the freezer. Then when you go to the hospital you can bring it with you, they can thaw and feed to the baby.
#7 of 8 Old 12-22-2007, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

We are planning to UC, but the syringe thing is a great idea! My IM is going to be "nursing" using a SNS and my pumped milk so at least he won't be getting confused if I tried putting it in a bottle. Thanks for the suggestions!

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#8 of 8 Old 12-23-2007, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajean56 View Post
All PP have given good suggestions (ones I wish I would have had!) I EP'd for my DS and got no colostrum using a double electric pump . Maybe I did get some, but it probably was all in the pump parts.
Well, that and colostrum is more viscous, and pumps are made for regular milk. So they may just not pump strongly enough. Hand expression is the preferred method for colostrum collection. Though an electric pump will do the job when trying to build supply and bring in the later milk.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page