building up supply using pump? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-03-2008, 03:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am noticing that one breast has much less milk to give than the other. To build up supply, I make sure to put baby to that breast first each feeding, so that it is continually being nursed. Baby does not last long on that side, however, because I think it becomes evident that it is low on milk. The most she lasts is ten minutes, and it is a leisurely ten with not too much sucking after awhile.

To increase milk supply on that side, I want to use a pump. I just pumped right after a feeding (using an excellent hospital grade pump on a fairly high setting, looking at a picture of my beloved! : ) ), and was surprised to see only about 1/10th of an ounce be produced. I am optimistically assuming that this low output is because she fully emptied this breast, and not that it is crazy low in supply! I have had a lot of trouble with this side -- thrush, blocked breast ducts, blocked nipple ducts, rusty milk, blisters..... This is one month into breast feeding.

When is the best time/ schedule to pump to increase supply? Right after a feeding? An hour later? How many times a day? Right now she is nursing around 8-9 times a day at two or three hour intervals on average.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2008, 01:49 AM

I had the problem with my left breast.

I pumped after every feeding on that side for awhile.
I was already pumping every 3rd feeding or so to build a freezer stash.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:03 AM

You can try pumping on that side but keep in mind that you can fully feed your baby with just one breast. I have a friend that had issues with one side not producing so she just quit nursing on that side. Her one breast produced plenty of milk for her first son to be nursed exclusively and even for her to tandem nurse her 2 1/2 year old son and second son (now 8 months) exclusively. Yes, she is lopsided but your baby will definitely get enough from only one side if it comes to that.

Good luck!
Old 01-07-2008, 02:48 AM

I had issues with one breast as well. I had a bout of mastitis at about 6 weeks, and my supply dropped significantly in that side. It took probably 4 months for me to feel that side was back to normal- but the other breast took over just fine!

re: the pumping. I pump once a day when I am not working. For me it is more a matter of consistency than anything else. I have pumped at night, after the first nap, early afternoon... they all worked fine as long as I stuck with that time for a few days.

User Tag List