High Palate? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-04-2008, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have any experience nursing a baby with a High Palate? It seems that my son has a high, bell-shaped palate and our LC suspects that (plus a possible tongue tie) may be the cause of his slow weight gain and poor ability to transfer milk. Everything that I'm finding on the internet talks about babies that needed long-term supplementation and feeding through an SNS and all sorts of really intensive work to get them breasfeeding and develop a supply in the mama, and I'm starting to get freaked out -- when I pumped for my older son while I was working I had a terrible time with pump resistance, so the idea of having to do long term pumping is a huge emotional minefield.

I could really use some BTDT support from other mamas. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
#2 of 9 Old 01-04-2008, 10:04 PM

If it is possible, have his tongue tie(s) clipped. That may hopefully be enough to correct your issues. Do you know of any Dr's that do the procedure?
#3 of 9 Old 01-05-2008, 04:18 AM

My youngest has a very high palette. The LC looked in his mouth and said "OUCH! that must hurt." It took about 6 weeks for bf'ing to not be painful for me, but he has always been a good gainer (no tongue tie issues) I just stuck with it because I knew it would eventually all work out.

DH&Me  Christ follower, homeschooler, gardener, (insert lots of additional crunchiness here) chicken mama, & occasionally blogger. intactlact.gifMama of  boys 9,7,3.5,&11months....& SURPRISE jaw2.gif  expecting a BOY in November!  7 sweet-babes gone too soon.

#4 of 9 Old 01-05-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breastfeeding Insomniac View Post
If it is possible, have his tongue tie(s) clipped. That may hopefully be enough to correct your issues. Do you know of any Dr's that do the procedure?
:

If you can't find a doctor, a dentist may do it too. And the younger the baby the thinner the tie and the easier the procedure. (With a young baby and an obvious tongue-tie, it is often done quickly right in the office.)

For the high palate, have you adjusted your latch? The asymmetrical latch (where baby anchors the lower lip on the bottom edge of the areola and then rotates up to take the nipple) if often really painful with a high palate. Some moms have better luck making a 'breast sandwhich' and popping the baby onto the breast straight, with the nipple pointing right back into the mouth, rather than up into the palate. A deep latch is still needed. And with the tongue-tie, pain may still continue.

best of luck with it.
#5 of 9 Old 01-05-2008, 11:30 AM

check out my tongue tie story here:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...2#post10193192

i talk about high palate--

dd #1 11/15/07 and dd #2 unplanned and so glad the midwife was on her way!
#6 of 9 Old 01-05-2008, 01:49 PM

When my dd was born (3 weeks ago), the mw noted that she also had a high palette & said it was possibly due to "birth trauma" of a sort (asynclitic w/ caput). She suggested having her adjusted by a chiropractor which we have done several times and her palate issues have resolved. Not sure if they would have improved on their own w/ out treatment, but I think there was dramatic improvement even after the 1st treatment. HTH

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#7 of 9 Old 01-05-2008, 01:55 PM

Dd had a high palate. No tongue tie. Nursing was excruciating at first. Totally mauled my nipples. It was 6 weeks before it didn't hurt.

But it worked out- still nursing at nearly 3.5yrs.

-Angela
#8 of 9 Old 01-05-2008, 03:01 PM

My first dd had a high palette and a very tight suck. She transfered milk well but nursing was excruciating and I had nipple trauma for a good eight weeks. At that point I was desparate and tried craniosacral massage for her. Just one session totally improved our nursing relationship- my nipples finally began to heal and she was able to relax her jaw a bit. We wnt on to nurse for more than 2 1/2 years. I am now a total believer in craniosacral massage.
#9 of 9 Old 01-07-2008, 12:08 AM

DS also has a very high palette. Nursing was so painful for the first month or two that I was on the phone with the LC nearly evey day for a while. I was told it would sort itself out as he grew, and although I didn't want to wait, we got through it and now nursing is easy as pie. Well, aside from the 9 month old acrobatics but that is another whole thread...

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page