maintaining my milk supply when I go back to work? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-06-2008, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's what the situation is going to be. I work at the daycare that DS will be enrolled at, and they have a policy that employees who are nursing mothers are given three 20 minute breaks a day to nurse. However, I work 4 days a week at 10 hours a day. I'm worried that only having 3 opportunities to nurse during a 10 hour time period will affect my supply. And I'm not sure that they will give me time to pump on top of the nursing breaks. I really want to breastfeed exclusively until DS is 7 or 8 months... and then continue BF'ing until DS is ready to completely wean himself. But what if I can't BF enough to keep a good supply going?

What should I think about? Are there any solutions to this? Is there really potential for this to be a problem or am I worrying over nothing? I realize that I will be in a better situation that most BF'ing mamas who work and send their LO's to daycare, but I'm still concerned about this. I'm almost considering asking them to place DS in my classroom, but I really really don't think they'll go for it. Plus I'm a little concerned that I would be so tempted to focus on DS, that my other kids would miss out... on the other hand, can I really justify risking MY son missing out so that I can give more attention to someone else's children. I don't know... I guess I just need some ideas and input.

mommy to Christopher 2/29/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 01-07-2008, 01:39 AM

I hope you get some good responses, mama, from some other pumping moms.

I can tell you that 3 nursing breaks in 10 hours is ok for me at work with my DD 14 months old. It definitely would not have been enough for me at 3,6, or 9 months.
#3 of 7 Old 01-07-2008, 01:42 AM

Do you get any "15 minute" breaks?

Lunch?

I'm planning on pumping every 2-3 hours, as well as nursing when I drop her off, and when I pick her up.
#4 of 7 Old 01-07-2008, 01:58 AM

Yep, what the pp said. I'd probably use both the nursing breaks and the regular breaks to either nurse or pump. When I went back to work I pumped three times during an eight-hour day and that was more than adequate. But. I also pumped regularly on days off, usually right after ds/dd nursed in the early evening, and maybe one other time on each day. I was really compulsive about it, but I think it paid off because neither child ever required any supplementation. It somehow works out when you're determined. Right now at work there is a teacher who is pumping and she just pushed and pushed until the administration starting asking around for a spot for her. Of course I offered my office because we should all help out nursing mamas. But if she hadn't pushed, the administration wouldn't have looked around for a spot, kwim?
#5 of 7 Old 01-07-2008, 02:15 AM

*nods*

I'm also pumping at home if she goes more than 2-3 hours without feeding, or during her 2AM feeding (she usually only eats one breast, so I pump the other).

I have my own office, but I started looking into it, when I first got pregnant. My old bosses (I switched positions at my company) were already offering up their offices 2-3 times a day (each boss).
#6 of 7 Old 01-07-2008, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

There are definitely places to nurse and pump where I work, but I really don't think I will be getting other breaks during the day. While I do get 2 regular 15minute breaks, I don't think the nursing breaks are in addition to this. And because of how they give us breaks, there is sometimes no telling when they come. So I'm really thinking it's going to be 3 opportunities in a 10 hour day to either pump or nurse. Would it help my supply if I pumped one breast while I was nursing on the other?

mommy to Christopher 2/29/08
#7 of 7 Old 01-08-2008, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanniesue2 View Post
There are definitely places to nurse and pump where I work, but I really don't think I will be getting other breaks during the day. While I do get 2 regular 15minute breaks, I don't think the nursing breaks are in addition to this. And because of how they give us breaks, there is sometimes no telling when they come. So I'm really thinking it's going to be 3 opportunities in a 10 hour day to either pump or nurse. Would it help my supply if I pumped one breast while I was nursing on the other?
Absolutely! I totally did that too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page