Safe cleanses while breastfeeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-08-2008, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are there ANY safe cleanes I can do while I'm breastfeeding?? I had my gallbladder removed about 4 years ago and am having so many problems. I have horrible pain in my abdomen at least every couple days that lasts for up to 2 hours at times, some heartburn, gas, etc. I am reading about and trying to incorporate some dietary and lifestyle changes. I want to do some cleanses, though, but I don't know if I can do any while breastfeeding. I want to do a parasite cleanse, liver cleanse, etc. any other advice or thoughts??

SAHM to DS1 (8/5/05), DS2 (3/20/07), DS3 (11/26/08), D?4 (Aug 2010) and (4/06) We CD, get adjusted , don't vax, and don't circ (post DS1.)
#2 of 6 Old 01-08-2008, 08:20 PM

I'd be careful about cleasing diets because if you release toxins from one area and your GI isn't working well you will absorb it back into your body. Maybe a once a week daily juice fast, something simple to do, not to radical? Dr Weil has some stuff online. Sorry, I'm not sure about safe cleansing herbs while BFing.
#3 of 6 Old 01-08-2008, 09:33 PM

I have done a few including an apple worm cleanse and some others that other moms assured me had been working great for their families for generations:
I asked my doctor just for fun and he said.. well theres no way apples and olive oil with hurt your baby
but worms could!
AND YES A WORM CAME OUT!
:
ewwwww no just kidding about the knife and fork!

you eat apples all day then take a tbsp of olive oil.
now dont ask me how it works but it does it is weird!!
#4 of 6 Old 01-09-2008, 12:57 AM

I am in the middle of doing a paper for my Masters in Holistic Health on cleansing to decrease environmental toxins in the body and help the liver function better to assit this. I want to eventually become a midwife so I try to put some safe reccomendations into my papers for moms. I agree with the apple cleanse and juice cleansing but if you have gotten and other feedback on this topic or found something that works for you let me know so maybe i can use it in my paper also i will research the saftey of the traditonal cleansing herbs i have in my paper for use during Breastfeeding and will get back to you.
#5 of 6 Old 01-09-2008, 05:04 PM

I posted a few days ago asking about doing a Daniel Fast/Daniel Diet and breastfeeding. I didn't get a lot of responses here, but I posted also to the yahoo group MOBI and Hilary Jacobsen (author of the book Motherfood) doesn't recommend it. Toxins you are releasing can be released in your breastmilk. Also, for me anyway, I have supply problems (low low low) and reducing calories that drastically can effect supply and cause it to dip.
#6 of 6 Old 01-09-2008, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Milk thistle would be great. Not only does it cleanse the liver, it's a galactogogue (increase milk supply). As far as parasites, supposedly, coconut oil is great for yeast and parasite removal. You can definatley use that while breastfeeding. I would greatly encourage you to get on probiotics if you aren't already taking them. You could also use slippery elm and marshmallow root to help cleanse your bowel. These are all safe to use while breastfeeding.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page