Also any suggestions or advice for me when I breastfeed? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-13-2008, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am due any day now, and I plan on breastfeeding. I didn't have any classes on this because I didn't have time to take them. I was wondering what all foods can you eat and what all foods are you not supposed to eat. Also any suggestions or advice for me when I breastfeed? How many times a day should I do it and how do I know if he will be getting enough milk? I am going to be an at home mommy now so I won't need to worry about daycare and breastfeeding and so on. I appreciate any advice!
#2 of 16 Old 01-13-2008, 12:34 PM

Kellymom is a great place to start. You can read the getting started part first: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/index.html and then go from there.

To get a good start, try to get skin-to-skin time with your baby right after delivery. That is your naked baby (diaper OK) on your naked chest. Baby will want to move to the breast and nurse (see the breast crawl video for a wonderful example.) You may have to insist on this, because most hospitals (if you are birthing there) want to wisk your baby away to wash and weigh etc.

If baby is not in distress, the newborn check can be done on your chest, and just insist that the baby not be taken to be weighed or have eye antibiotics or vit K shot or any of that if you are going to do it until he or she has had a good breastfeed (often at least 2 hours.)

Congratulations!
#3 of 16 Old 01-13-2008, 10:42 PM

Make sure you are adamant that pacifers, sugar water and formula are NOT to be given to your baby. Don't listen to nurses' advice of "15 minutes on each side", "let us give the baby a bottle so you can rest", etc. Do study kellymom, great advice there. Also contact an LLL leader and find out when meetings are in case you need help when you get home.

As for food, you can really eat whatever you are normally eating already. You do have to be careful with some herbs and essential oils, as they may hurt your supply if you use too much, like peppermint for example. Too much menthol can also hurt your supply. Kellymom has a list of things for you to browse.

Also don't fret about weight loss in the first week or so of your baby's life. Babies are meant to lose weight while waiting for your milk to come in, which can take 2 days or over a week. Babies have enough fat stored to wait. Colostrum is packed with calories and other goodies for your baby, and your baby doesn't need a lot at a time, since their tummies are tiny anyways.

Also don't fret about your milk not coming in after 2 or 3 days. It might take longer than that. Peds for some reason like to scare moms witless if their milk isn't in by x days. Kellymom has information on how many wet and dirty diapers your baby has, and signs that your baby may be dehydrated.

Congrats on your baby and welcoming to bfing!

Equuskia in with Nodtveidt DD1 : DD2 :
#4 of 16 Old 01-14-2008, 01:19 AM

Hello, congrats on your baby, and your desire to get him off to the best start with breast milk.

As for food restrictions the gist is that breast feeding women can eat whatever they want in whatever quantities they want how often they want. Here are some links:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-diet.html

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-foods.html

http://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/html/Nutrition.shtml

http://breastfeed.com/resources/articles/haveitall.htm

As for how often you should feed him, it really depends on the babe. Sometimes in the beginning nursing sessions can seem like they last forever (1 hour or so for me sometimes), and happen so frequently together (hence the term cluster feed). Tiny babies have tiny tummies and even if you think there's no way he could be hungry because you just fed him 30 min, 40 min, 1 hour ago, he could be!! Also know that babies tend to have growth spurts around 10 days, 3 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, and 9 months. During these growth spurts they may want to nurse A LOT, and doing so will increase your supply to keep up with demand.

You'll know he's getting enough as long as you keep nursing as frequently as he wants for as long as he wants it. Signs he's well hydrated are: if he has lots of saliva and tears (though less accurate), his fontanel isn't sunken in, and his cries are consolable (if only consoled by nursing then he was probably hungry).

I concur with the other ladies about avoiding pacifiers and bottles in the beginning stages of bf, and not caving the nurses who offer formula. I was pushed a lot with this while in recovery. My milk didn't come in until the 3rd day and ds was having some latch issues but we kept working at it, and when I was starting to worry I hand expressed some which dh cup fed him with. He has only ever had bm and I'm proud of it! Newborns only need a tiny bit of the colostrum (first milk in first few days) so don't worry about filling a bottle or anything.

My personal advice would be to hang in there!! Keep at it!! And have a good circle of support who you can ask advice from and vent to.
#5 of 16 Old 01-14-2008, 01:37 AM

It's great you're planning ahead! www.kellymom.com is a super resource.

My beginning advice, in no particular order:

NO artificial nipples (bottles, pacifiers etc)
no formula in the house (avoid the temptation)
sometimes it *does* hurt in the beginning
have names and numbers for support- IBCLCs or LLL leaders are great resources
newborns nurse ALL the time
cosleep and nurse at night
figure out how to nurse lying down

I never avoided any foods- dd wasn't bothered.

good luck!

-Angela
#6 of 16 Old 01-14-2008, 01:44 AM

My advice is all the same stuff Algena posted, but most of all my advice is to relaaaax. Go with it. Be as stress free about nursing as possible.

Have fun!

Homebirthing, homeschooling AP, gardening maniac running a working farm. No circ, no vax, no cable TV. EC'd and CD'd, tandem BF'd.  Cheese and soap making goat and child herder.
#7 of 16 Old 01-14-2008, 01:54 AM

You don't have to worry if there's enough milk going in if you see that there's enough coming out...are there several wet diapers a day and a couple of poopy ones? OK. Good to go! He/she is getting enough.

Don't look at a clock. Adult time is not the same as baby time. A baby doesn't know about our time. Get with the babe on their terms. Let them guide you. You can trust a baby really. They'll tell you what they need. Listen.

Love your baby. Let that guide you too.

Happy babymoon!

Crunchy check list:  2 homebirths (one accidental UC!), co-slept, no CIO, cloth diapers, home/un school, raw milk drinker (!) I am a walking cliche!! I even blog and knit...
#8 of 16 Old 01-14-2008, 09:20 AM

It seems pretty normal for some people to have some nipple discomfort in the beginning...not everyone does. But in my limited experience, nipple *pain* is probably an indication of a latch problem. Get help from someone as soon as you can if you think you need help with your latch. I suffered through a bad latch on my left side for two weeks before I went and asked for help at a breastfeeding group near my house. Within two days the pain was gone. There are some good latch videos from Dr. Jack Newman, too - I think I found them through KellyMom.
#9 of 16 Old 01-14-2008, 09:26 AM

Call a La Leche League leader right now and introduce yourself and "warn her" you may be calling back soon. I think it would be reassuring to know there is someone there who wants to help you and if the time comes when you do want to call, you'll have been introduced to her in a less stressful environment, which makes the interaction easier, I think.

http://www.llli.org/WebUS.html
#10 of 16 Old 01-14-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beru View Post
Call a La Leche League leader right now and introduce yourself and "warn her" you may be calling back soon. I think it would be reassuring to know there is someone there who wants to help you and if the time comes when you do want to call, you'll have been introduced to her in a less stressful environment, which makes the interaction easier, I think.

http://www.llli.org/WebUS.html

The biggest threat to breastfeeding is not getting help immediately if you suspect a problem. Even a day can make a difference and LLL leaders really, really want you to call (not email) them any time even if you only suspect an issue.
#11 of 16 Old 01-14-2008, 02:40 PM

I highly recommend reading The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. I still refer to it from time to time.

I also never avoided certain foods (although I did avoid caffeine for the most part), and my son never seemed to have a problem with anything I ate. Just make sure that you're eating (and drinking) enough I was always so hungry when my son was nursing around the clock :

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#12 of 16 Old 01-21-2008, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your all replies.
#13 of 16 Old 01-21-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaK View Post

The biggest threat to breastfeeding is not getting help immediately if you suspect a problem. Even a day can make a difference and LLL leaders really, really want you to call (not email) them any time even if you only suspect an issue.
Totally and completely agree!!! Support, knowledge and determination are key factors in a successful breastfeeding relationship.

In addition to this on-line support group, the LLL group meetings are invaluable.

Additional websites:

http://breastcrawl.org/

http://ican-online.org

http://www.drjacknewman.com/index.ph...146&Itemid=236

http://www.kellymom.com/newman/01sta...out_right.html

http://drjaygordon.com
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Atlant...eding_Support/
#14 of 16 Old 01-21-2008, 06:20 PM

Just keep in mind that it will get easier. And take it one day at a time. If you are having troubles ( i had a lot) don't be afraid to ask for help and set small goals. BF is not easy for some people, and i wish someone would have warned me. Its hard work but so worth it. Good Luck, we're all here for you!
#15 of 16 Old 01-21-2008, 07:05 PM

Great advice!
The thing that surprised me, was the first night in the hospital she basically nursed for 7 hours straight. I wasn't educated and thought she was doing it because she was starving and not getting enough because I didn't have milk yet. Thankfully, the nurse informed me (and didn't offer formula).

Get help if you need it. If you are having a hospital birth, take advantages of any and all resources they have available. Breastfeeding can be hard, no shame in admitting you need some help.

Good luck!

Trying to balance a preschooler and peace....
#16 of 16 Old 01-28-2008, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy07 View Post
Just keep in mind that it will get easier. And take it one day at a time. If you are having troubles ( i had a lot) don't be afraid to ask for help and set small goals. BF is not easy for some people, and i wish someone would have warned me. Its hard work but so worth it. Good Luck, we're all here for you!
Thanks for your reply.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page