Red rash around mouth from Thrush? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-17-2008, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone else's babies ever had a red rash around the mouth?.... I thought it was from thrush since it started right around the time I noticed DS's diaper rash getting redder in his anus and when we went to the ped, yup, it was thrush.... Will the rash go away when the thrush goes away?...

i've noticed some other red spots with tiny bumps kind of like baby acne on his cheeks but not sure if it's from the thrush or not....

now, I'm concerned with how to treat the red rash... we've been treating the thrush with GSE and upped doses of probiotics, been using diluted GSE on his anus along with Balmex but haven't used the GSE or the Balmex near his mouth. ..

any suggestions?... TIA!!
#2 of 7 Old 01-17-2008, 11:08 PM

Sounds like drool rash to me (from excess drool with teething). My babe has the same, and I keep it moisturized, but it doesn't help too much. I didn't think it was much to be worried about, but I'm new at this, so I don't know. Good luck!
#3 of 7 Old 01-18-2008, 12:08 AM

That sounds like exactly what DS has (5 months old) he drools like crazy though and has the red anus thing going on too. I had read, though, that this was a typical "pre teething" symptom so hadn't worried. I haven't noticed anything different about the inside of his mouth to indicate thrush and I've not had any issues with my body... Hmmmm. Hoping its just drool rash for you!

Catherine and B stillheart.gif DS1 (6) biggrinbounce.gif DD (4) loveeyes.gif DS2 (1) drool.gif and expecting #4 shamrocksmile.gif on March 17, 2014.  
#4 of 7 Old 01-18-2008, 03:31 PM

Red rashes around the outside of the mouth and anus could mean a food sensitivity or allergy.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#5 of 7 Old 01-18-2008, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmmm.... thanks everybody for your posts... he's only a month old so it can't be teething.....

I can't figure out what the food allergy could be too... will have to give it some thought... i thought originally that the red bum was due to thrush...
#6 of 7 Old 01-18-2008, 11:59 PM

Yeast diaper rashes usually look like red, splotchy (maybe) dots around the entire diaper area. It isn't normally concentrated around the anus. I wonder if the GSE could be causing the allergic reaction. Highly acidic foods are notorious for causing reactions and grapefruit seed extract is highly acidic. The other most common cuplrits are dairy, soy and wheat.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#7 of 7 Old 01-19-2008, 12:26 AM

My dd1 had this with increased mucous production as an older baby from a dairy reaction. Can you cut out dairy and see if that helps?

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page