Smoking weed and breastfeeding???? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

#61 of 101 Old 07-03-2004, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
tiffani - GREAT POST! Thanks for sharing. I, too am very happy to see that this discussion is going so well - and so informative! :
#62 of 101 Old 07-04-2004, 09:08 AM

Thank you for bumping this thread up! I missed it the first time around, and it's a fascinating discussion.
#63 of 101 Old 07-04-2004, 12:49 PM

speaking of funding...
did you know the Jamaican study was funded and run by the March of Dimes?

not sure if the link was provided, but here it is...
http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/...can-babies.htm

there's plenty of links to follow on the bottom of that page as well, if you are interested.

and wow...I forgot about this thread! I'm so glad we have that subscribe option lol!
#64 of 101 Old 07-04-2004, 12:55 PM

I found this paragraph most interesting... (edited so so I could adhere to the "Law of 100 words quoted" here)

...the neonates of mothers who used marijuana showed better physiological stability at 1 month and required less examiner facilitation to reach an organized state and become available for social stimulation... The heavily exposed neonates were more socially responsive and were more autonomically stable at 30 days than their matched counterparts. The quality of their alertness was higher; their motor and autonomic systems were more robust; they were less irritable; they were less likely to demonstrate any imbalance of tone; they needed less examiner facilitation to become organized; they had better self-regulation; and were judged to be more rewarding for caregivers than the neonates of nonusing mothers at 1 month of age.
#65 of 101 Old 07-04-2004, 11:13 PM

Mamas, thank you so much for such an informative thread.

I tell you, I have suspected the relative safety of marijuana use while pg or bf. When thoroughly considering this issue in the past, without knowing about the jamaican moms study, I wondered about those mamas and their babes. I thought, surely THEY do it, and their babies are OK; it must not be the demon everyone else seems to think.

And sure enough, I come here and see there was a study of those same moms. I love the surprising things that appear here on MDC.

Ibuprofen, on the other hand...

rural mama to DD1 DD2
unschooling, non-vaxing, writing, gardening, co-sleeping, critter-loving family :
#66 of 101 Old 08-23-2005, 05:31 PM

: for now...
#67 of 101 Old 08-24-2005, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahGuinn
Also, I'm always disheartened when I hear women either being told or discussing amongst themselves all the nono's while bfing. I believe that my body can filter majority of the badness and that most of the things I've been made scared of are not as bad as I'm told because women are constantly given reasons why bfing is hard and you can't live the life you want while doing so. You may as well feed the baby formula, etc.

It's not as scary as "they" make it out to be.
Yes ITA! I always try to emphasize that a BFing mother can basically eat or drink anything she normally would in moderation.
#68 of 101 Old 08-24-2005, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingbear
I am just wondering, I know mom's who have breastfed and occasionally smoke pot. I have done some research and am confused. It seems that it is transmitted a little and could do harm in third trimester or first 6 months...but for older kids it seem that there are no ill effects. One book cited a study where there were no differences in cogtnitive function, growth or motor function in kids who were exposed. But when I asked an advice nurse at our local hospital she said it was child abuse and causes arrested development, she'd call child protective services and so on? Any opinions?
-Dancingbear

I have known many normal, sane people who smoke weed occassionally, while pregnant and while BF. There is a stigma, and I wouldn't tell anyone about it, but I don't think there's any harm done.
For heaven's sake, my ob prescribed my Vicodin for headaches the other day. To me, that is a much more serious drug that a bit of weed. Smoking pot is a bad a smoking anything else- the smoke ain't that great, and some other chemicals may not be healthy. So limit yourself.
I have done the research as well on weed, and it's fine as long as it is in moderation and your child is always in good care. Common sense, and all that.
Anyway, hope that helps.
#69 of 101 Old 08-24-2005, 05:51 PM

Personally, I would be concerned because THC is stored in fat, and takes a LONG time, like months, to get out of your system. Hence any exposure, even if we don't know of any ill effects, is going to be long term.

There also may be issues with inhalation of smoke that sticks to the mother's clothes, if it's being smoked.
#70 of 101 Old 08-24-2005, 06:24 PM

Purposes of my post, I have not read all the posts here so if you think I'm speaking to you, not so . This is just my general feeling on the subject whenever it comes up.

People can quote whatever studies they wish. One thing I do know is several people I have been friends with in my life..who did pot quite a bit, could not think very fluently and they told me they wished they had not. They had a hard time completing thoughts and having a fluent conversation. I do know one person who did pot also quite a bit that is ok in the thinking and conversation department. So no one can tell me it is ok in everyone because I know different.

My question would be..why? Why risk it? Makes no sense to me. I figure I didn't go through the pain of childbirth to risk harming her what I could control. I am thankful neither of my parents smoked anything when I was born. They smoked prior to my birth but decided that they wanted to make a home that was void of that stuff. This was before the huge push to stop smoking too. They just logically knew it was not safe - they didn't need a study to back them up.

Sherra
#71 of 101 Old 08-24-2005, 07:46 PM

I've never used marajuana, but I am totally pro-legalization. I think it is a powerful and sacred medicinal plant and thank the Goddess that I have never been sick or hurt enough to need it.
Just a quick aside on the forms of ingestion. My father died an ugly and painful death from bone cancer. One of the drugs that he considered for relief was pot. We did alot of research on ways to administer it, and talked to several individuals who used it medicinally. Those I spoke to agreed that the best means of administration were inhalation. INgested, you have less control over the dose. When smoking, it takes effect quickly and you can decide if you need more, administered orally, you have to wait longer for it to take effect, and have less of a fine control over the dose.
HE decided not to try it. I am very sad that the legality of use kept him from trying something that might have eased that horrible pain.
#72 of 101 Old 08-25-2005, 02:53 AM

To me, it's a different scenerio when medical use enters in as opposed to wondering if it is affecting baby in the breastmilk using it for recreational.

Sherra
#73 of 101 Old 08-25-2005, 10:11 AM

sunmountain...I could not have said it better. . You are a master of knowledge.

Also no one has stated that our own Mothering Magazine had a front page about mj and pregnancy.

Sure doesnt cause low birth weight, as mine were 9.5 and 10.5 pounds at birth.

darkstar
#74 of 101 Old 08-25-2005, 10:36 AM

From what I understand and have read there is no substantial effects to the unborn or through the bf. I think its through your own beliefs, standards ,and morals wether you should do it or not.(personally I choose not to morally) But I do know a couple of moms that do and have done while pregnant and bf. I don't see any effects on there children. It makes me angry though to see how alcohol and smoking cigarettes is ok. When there is substantial evidence of harmful effects in doing so while pregnant ,or bf to the unborn or child Let alone the harmful effects to you that have been proven from doing such (legal drugs). Its a shame that our society feels it's ok to do one and not the other. It all comes down to politics.
(I also want to add my father is real sick with cancer and is dealing with kemo. In the past six mths he has lost 29 lbs,they have put him on nomorous drugs to pull up his appitite (nothing is working) I know if ct. allowed medical pot he would be on it. (politics)
#75 of 101 Old 08-25-2005, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRISSY
(I also want to add my father is real sick with cancer and is dealing with kemo. In the past six mths he has lost 29 lbs,they have put him on nomorous drugs to pull up his appitite (nothing is working) I know if ct. allowed medical pot he would be on it. (politics)

I would get him street marijuana
#76 of 101 Old 08-25-2005, 11:04 AM

It would be great if our bodies could filter out "bad stuff" to protect our babies, but unfortunately not. Not smoking anything during pregnancy and breastfeeding is wise. It is not such a long time (pregnancy and lactation) and then one can go back to their usual lifestyle if that is desired. I think if you went to a regular MD and he/she said "I advise you smoke some pot tonight as you breastfeed your baby - he's the studies to prove it is okay' there'd be on outcry.
#77 of 101 Old 08-25-2005, 11:05 AM

Ok haven't read this whole thread at all, but i just don't understand why you would buy pot off the street or where ever you get i from... if you grow it then yeah you know it's prolly not got anything eles in it, but if you don't and are buying it from this person, who got it from this person who once put some other drug into it then why would you even chance it!!! It is ILLEGAL so why would you do it? the point is it hasn't been that well studied at all and most of the med on the market have been... I'm not saying i'm a saint and never done this before b/c i'd be lying, but i just don't think it's worth the risk of losing my kids/husband/family b/c of some dumb thing b/c yeah all it takes is one time for you to be arrested for someting and your family is gone, if you make one mistake and the pot is laced with something you would be indangering yourself and you child (if they around you or if you are BF them). I just don't get why you would do something illegal just b/c you don't thik it should be illieagl. that's not your call... and you could get caught.
#78 of 101 Old 08-25-2005, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydoll
I don't think you should drink while nursing, pregnant, or for that matter while you have a child in your care. I have read that an occasional glass of wine is ok, but I don't still don't indulge. I put my children's health ahead of my own "indulgences."
Very well said!

Anybody who chooses to take drugs of any kind while pregnant or nursing is a horribly selfish person. I don't care what the excuse for taking it happens to be, it is WRONG. You can try to justify it any way you want, but it still doesn't change the facts. If you are knowingly transmitting chemicals to a child who has no say in the matter, you don't deserve to keep your child.

Regarding the supposed Rastafarian study -- I would be highly curious to see just how rigorous this study was, how the study was done, who did the study and what their credentials were, what the scope of it was, how many people were tested, what exactly the data was compared with, etc. It sounds more than a little flawed to me if the results came back the way that they did. I'm sure everybody knows how results can be skewed to be in a person (or society's) favour. Remember, cigarettes didn't used to cause cancer.
#79 of 101 Old 08-25-2005, 11:57 AM

I'd quickly like to suggest a book, Women and Cannabis, which is a great resource for pg women or bfing mothers. In fact, there is also info for those struggling with infertility. I found the studies in it very useful, and I especially enjoyed the essay about the historical uses specific to women's health. Sorry I'm not more specific, nak.
#80 of 101 Old 08-25-2005, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherra
To me, it's a different scenerio when medical use enters in as opposed to wondering if it is affecting baby in the breastmilk using it for recreational.

Sherra
Thank you.

This is a very important point. If women choose to get high, fine. However, how difficult is it to at least wait until you have given birth and are through nursing your child? Is it REALLY that difficult to just wait a few years? If it is, I would say that you have some problems.

I too think that marijuana should be legalized. I also believe that if somebody is dying or extremely ill they should have legal access to it. I believe that if people choose to get high rather than drink a glass of wine, so be it. What I DO object to are people who choose to damage other people's bodies while using whatever the drug of their choice happens to be. Especially a baby, who has no say in the matter whatsoever.

People who like to take drugs will probably ignore what I have just said about hurting their babies. I'm fairly certain that a myriad of excuses will be offered up, such as morning sickness and all the rest. But do you know what? Most women suffer from these afflictions and are able to overcome them without harming their child in the process. This is what being a mother is all about. Putting your child's needs ahead of your own at all times.

If you cannot wait until you are done giving birth or nursing your child to get high, you have some serious issues. And having known plenty of pot smokers throughout the years, I can say with the utmost sincerity that of all the people I have ever known, they spend more time than anybody else trying to think of excuses for their actions.

Some of the people posting on here make Courtney Love -- who I've spent a long, long time talking with -- seem like a role-model mother. And in comparison, she is.
#81 of 101 Old 08-25-2005, 12:28 PM

Don't you all just love drive-by posters -- those who aren't interested in actually entering the discussion or learning something (because of course they know it all already) but still wish to give us their opinion? I tell you, it is the highlight of my day to come here looking for some intelligent new thoughts and insights, only to have to read yet again, "I didn't read the rest of the thread but just wanted to say that smoking MJ is stupid." So much fun! So edifying! Thanks guys!
#82 of 101 Old 08-25-2005, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe
Personally, I would be concerned because THC is stored in fat, and takes a LONG time, like months, to get out of your system. Hence any exposure, even if we don't know of any ill effects, is going to be long term.
As far as long term effects, I think there are a good number of twenty somethings out there whose hippie moms can provide evidence of positive effects!

Also, it does not take months to get out of your system. It takes about 2-3 weeks for regular users and even less for occasional use.

homebirthing organic mama to three crazy boys very blessed!!
#83 of 101 Old 08-25-2005, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlittlebirds
Don't you all just love drive-by posters -- those who aren't interested in actually entering the discussion or learning something (because of course they know it all already) but still wish to give us their opinion? I tell you, it is the highlight of my day to come here looking for some intelligent new thoughts and insights, only to have to read yet again, "I didn't read the rest of the thread but just wanted to say that smoking MJ is stupid." So much fun! So edifying! Thanks guys!
Yes, you are correct. I do know it all already.

It is the highlight of my day as well to read of the many women who will go to whatever lengths necessary to engage in the vice of their choice. Even if that means harming their child in the process.

To all of the posters who think it is fine to get high while pregnant or nursing, I implore you: please, come back in 18 more years and post the results of your highly scientific experiments. I'll be anxious to hear how your children have turned out.

Excuses, excuses, excuses.

By the way, just because society frowns upon marijuana use, that shouldn't enter into the equation of why you take it when pregnant or nursing. Regardless of how society views it, it still is harmful. Especially to a child. So any arguments about the unjustness of society in relation to taking it are illogical. It would be like me believing that the sun revolves around the earth and being mad at society for saying that the earth travels around the sun instead. My feelings of anger at society still wouldn't change the fact that the earth does in fact revolve around the sun.

Logic, people. Logic.
#84 of 101 Old 08-25-2005, 12:47 PM

HI!!

Just wanted to say that, if anyone wants to discuss Marijuana and Hemp, and their benefits and the benefits of legalization, there is a nice little thread in finding your tribe. But please remember, it is not a thread where we are debating anything, we are a pro legalization group of mammas and pappas who are not interested in debating our viewpoints, just wanting a safe and supportive place to discuss our support for the legalization of marijuanna and hemp (there are enough places on this forum for the debate of this subject....like this thread ).

So.....if any of you pro legalization mammas and pappas on this thread want to come and share we'd love to have ya!!
punkycpunkydo likes this.
#85 of 101 Old 08-25-2005, 01:00 PM

Quote:
If you cannot wait until you are done giving birth or nursing your child to get high, you have some serious issues. And having known plenty of pot smokers throughout the years, I can say with the utmost sincerity that of all the people I have ever known, they spend more time than anybody else trying to think of excuses for their actions.

Some of the people posting on here make Courtney Love -- who I've spent a long, long time talking with -- seem like a role-model mother. And in comparison, she is.

OK, lets be nice here and not get into the whole name calling/desparaging remarks situation that always throws threads like these into a downward spiral.

From what i've read, ms love is a drug addict, as in addicted to heroin and/or other hard drugs. Equating her with the mothers here who have acknowledged their use of marijuana is very disrespectful

And I'm, not sure of the marijuana users you know but most folks that use the herb believe in its benefits and feel no reason to justify their choices or make excuses for themselves unless challenged by someone else or if they are simply trying to get the word out of the documented benefits of this medicine.
#86 of 101 Old 08-25-2005, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
To all of the posters who think it is fine to get high while pregnant or nursing, I implore you: please, come back in 18 more years and post the results of your highly scientific experiments. I'll be anxious to hear how your children have turned out.

I wouldnt be so quick to imply that a person's child is going to turn out bad due to mj use or anything else for that matter. Many a ppl have led "socially upstanding" lives and have had tumultuous years w/thier children. I'd watch what you say, life has a way of coming back on you. By all means, express your opinion, you have every right to add your insights. Just scale back the snarkiness, k?
#87 of 101 Old 08-25-2005, 01:14 PM

Kristine wrote: Anybody who chooses to take drugs of any kind while pregnant or nursing is a horribly selfish person. I don't care what the excuse for taking it happens to be, it is WRONG. You can try to justify it any way you want, but it still doesn't change the facts. If you are knowingly transmitting chemicals to a child who has no say in the matter, you don't deserve to keep your child.

You know what, you are so absolutely right. I just cannot believe the irresponsibility of this woman I know -- well, she used to be a "friend" but I really don't think I can be friends with her after what she's done -- she takes Tylenol for headaches and even gives it to her baby sometimes. And the other day she admitted to me that she had novocaine while having her root canal done. I am just shaking with outrage as I write this, it is so awful.

I know also that she gives her baby sips of fluoridated water sometimes, heck, she drinks gallons of it everyday herself, some must be getting through the breastmilk -- not to mention the half a glass of wine I know she occassionally consumes. I don't think there are any studies that show damage to breastfed babies from the mothers consuming small amounts of alcohol, but we all know studies can be twisted any way we want to, there is never any valid information in them anyway.

To her credit, she does buy some organic food, but not all, because -- get this -- she thinks they can't afford it. And she knows very well that non-organic food is filled with pesticides. I also asked her about their beds, she says they're just run-of-the-mill Beauty Rest or something, well you know they're filled with chemicals too, and she and her husband are so selfish they won't sacrifice and spend just a couple of months' paychecks to buy all natural and organic mattresses. I know they're poor, but damn, if they couldn't afford not to poison their children, they shouldn't have had any.

And here's probably the worst thing -- they drive a car. I tried to tell her about all the chemicals that get into her baby every time she starts up the engine, and she did say that she wasn't happy about it, but she still continues to drive anyway. I guess her convenience is more important to her than her baby's health.

Personally, I think her baby would be better off in a foster home. At least there I'm sure the baby would never be given Tylenol, that she'd be fed only organic food, that she'd breathe only filtered air and drink filtered water, and that she'd be given formula, the purity of which no mother's breastmilk can match. And I know only the best people are chosen to be foster parents, not selfish people like this woman.

Anybody know the number to social services?
#88 of 101 Old 08-25-2005, 01:20 PM

Thanks for this thread, it is very interesting. I just don't understand how you can be avoiding chemicals during pregnancy and birth, researching vaccines and their potential effects, etc yet feel like it is acceptable to smoke pot when breastfeeding??? It simply doesn't make sense, can someone explain that to me? I would imagine there aren't many studies on the effects of pot on breastfed babies as attempting to get a few thousand mothers of breastfeeding infants to be recruited would be difficult....
#89 of 101 Old 08-25-2005, 01:37 PM

"To all of the posters who think it is fine to get high while pregnant or nursing, I implore you: please, come back in 18 more years and post the results of your highly scientific experiments. I'll be anxious to hear how your children have turned out."

I want to point out that ingesting marijuana does not necessarily mean "getting high" any more than ingesting alcohol necessarily means "getting drunk".

As for adults whose mothers smoked while they were pregnant or nursing, I do know some, and I could tell you quite a bit about them. But somehow I doubt you'd consider my observations valid if they conflicted with your assumptions about the dangers of MJ. Because you're sure of its absolute danger, and you do know it all, so what's the point?

So I'm curious. Do you have children? Did you happen to use a computer while pregnant or nursing? Do you still use one in their presence? Because if so, you did and are exposing them to chemicals. Since you do know everything, I'm sure you've already made plans to throw your computer in the trash, and we won't be hearing anymore from you on the subject!
#90 of 101 Old 08-25-2005, 01:42 PM

"Anybody who chooses to take drugs of any kind while pregnant or nursing is a horribly selfish person. I don't care what the excuse for taking it happens to be, it is WRONG. You can try to justify it any way you want, but it still doesn't change the facts. If you are knowingly transmitting chemicals to a child who has no say in the matter, you don't deserve to keep your child."

I just think this bears repeating, and you might want to post it in the "Birth and Beyond" forum as well. All kinds of drug-takers there.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page