Mothering Forum banner

When oh when can I start trying a bottle?

1K views 32 replies 28 participants last post by  alegna 
#1 ·
For the sake of my sanity I need to have the option of leaving for an HOUR once in a while. My DS is only 2 weeks old...I'm sure it's probably too soon to try pumping and giving DH a bottle to try on him. I just can't be away from him at ALL because his sleeping/eating is unpredictable and don't want to leave DH with a screaming baby and no way to soothe him.

#27 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Also remember that bottles aren't the only ways to feed ebm to a baby. I wouldn't hesitate to feed a newborn with a syringe or finger feeder if for some reason BF wasn't possible for that particular feeding. This can certianly work for a 2 week old as well, as long as your DH (or mother or whoever is with the baby) is willing to use whatever feeding method you've selected and you're able to pump an ounce or so before leaving.
Good advice.

#28 ·
So, I know other people have already posted similar things, but I wouldn't wait the full 6 weeks again for my second. I did with dd, and she still doesn't take a bottle well. I'll probably start at about 3 weeks next time as long as I feel like bfing is going well. And there's nothing wrong with wanting to take care of yourself - in the early days, I found that even a one hour workout or time reading a book peacefully could make a world of difference in my worldview and mood. (Heck, I still find this is true!)

#29 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Also remember that bottles aren't the only ways to feed ebm to a baby. I wouldn't hesitate to feed a newborn with a syringe or finger feeder if for some reason BF wasn't possible for that particular feeding. This can certianly work for a 2 week old as well, as long as your DH (or mother or whoever is with the baby) is willing to use whatever feeding method you've selected and you're able to pump an ounce or so before leaving.
Just to follow up on this, we used a Hazelbaker finger feeder in the early days with dd1 (because of bf'ing issues to help her learn to nurse) and dh was able to do it sometimes. It's fiddly but I think it's more bf'ing compatible in the early days than bottles.

#30 ·
ds will be 4 months on the first.... hes had one bottle, at about 3 months... he took it well enough, just ate slowly, and kept popping off, then wanting more a few minutes later (like when hes nursing, lol) it took him about an hour to eat 4oz

#31 ·
Thanks for all the replies....we're still trying to get him to open wider at the breast (especially the left
) and my cracked nips are still healing. I can wait a few more weeks. Especially if he gives me a 3-hour stretch of sleep like last night!!!!

#32 ·
Our LC said 3 wks, but said 2 wks was ok if we had no problems with latch. i wanted to take my older son o tumbling for some special "normal" time when DS2 was 2 wks. I'm glad I did it, my mom gave baby a EBF bottle and we were fine. It was really important I did that for DS1. I still haven't left the house w/o one of them!!!! Though I will soon I'm sure!! (I work from home)

#33 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoulaLMT View Post
Thanks for all the replies....we're still trying to get him to open wider at the breast (especially the left
) and my cracked nips are still healing. I can wait a few more weeks. Especially if he gives me a 3-hour stretch of sleep like last night!!!!
If he's still having problems latching properly, I would wait awhile. I would wait a couple of weeks after his latch has been perfect EVERY TIME.

I fought hard to get dd to nurse without damaging my nipples... not something I was willing to risk!

-Angela

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.