BF the 2nd time around... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-27-2008, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am having my second child in April and I'm so excited to BF again. It boggles my mind that I say that after the extremely painful beginning I had with Jack. In addition to having thrush, bacterial infections, clogged ducts and oversupply issues that lasted 12w, it was discovered that I had Raynaud's. It is a pre-existing condition, not one brought on by the thrush. So this made BF even more difficult. So basically, I cried during every feeding session for the first 3 months, however once all those other things cleared up, it took another three months for BF to not hurt. After that it was just an uncomfy feeling. I had come to terms with the fact that BF will never be feeling-free for me...my nips are just super sensitive to touch. However, when my son weaned at 11m due to me being PG and my supply dropping significantly, I was extremely saddened. I had planned for our relationship to last much much longer.

So as eager as I am for April and to BF baby #2, I worried that the six month gap will cause me to go through a painful beginning again. I'm not worried about thrush, CD, BI or OS as I have all the tricks to solve those issues quickly, I'm more worried about whether I will have to get adjusted again.

So for those of you who nursed your subsequent children, did it hurt the second time around? Did your nips have to "toughen" up again? I know the Raynaud's will come into to play again, but I'm just wondering if my sensitivity will be b/c of the RS or if all people have to adjust the second time around too.

Mama to Jack (12/7/06) & Liam (4/3/08) & Iris Hope (10/6/10)
#2 of 8 Old 01-27-2008, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

#3 of 8 Old 01-27-2008, 05:02 PM

In my experience it did hurt the second time around. Just as much as the first time. I had just as much sensitivity, cracking, and bleeding. I cried through every feeding for the first few weeks.

What I did have the second time around, though, was more knowledge of where to go for help. I visited the LC's at the hospital several times a week for help with latch-on. My husband was in charge of the mountains of pillows and footstools I needed around myself to get the latch just right. The pain did go away a little bit faster for baby #2 because I got help for it early and often... for baby #1 I let the problem get really bad before getting help and it took longer to heal.

I hope you find that you don't have the same problems with pain and sensitivity... but unfortunately, I did, and it was really frustrating. I hoped that as a seasoned breastfeeding mom I would have learned to avoid it. nursing a newborn is much different than nursing your young toddler, and somehow I managed to forget that!

I would say plan to visit an LC early and often in the first couple of weeks... be sure every latch is just perfect and don't be afraid to take a long time for each latch if need be. Get lots of practice with an LC helping. If the worst does happen and you end up with soreness, bleeding, etc - don't give up, get help, and remember you can make it heal fast.
#4 of 8 Old 01-27-2008, 05:08 PM

I have to report a much more positive experience the second time around. I never had problems with cracked nipples, both boys knew what they were doing, but I was very tender and sore the first time around. This time, there was some tenderness, but it lasted a few days vs a few weeks and I knew what to do to take care of my nipples. I also knew what to expect and anticipated it. The first time, of course, you never quite know, and I thoguht I was doing something wrong, and it took several LC's, doctors, nurses and experienced nursers to assure me nothing was wrong, that I was just tender.

I also had more confidence this time and knew what to do to make that latch work to the best, and now I'm experimenting a lot more with different positions, which do result in a little soreness, since I'm sure the latch isn't great, but the confidence to do so was definitely not there the first time.

I hope you have a much better go of it this time around (I think even a little more confidence will help you greatly) and I admire you for really making it work the first time.

Don't trust anyone under 5! Mom to 3 boys under 5. Blogging to save my sanity.
#5 of 8 Old 01-27-2008, 06:58 PM

My first experience with breastfeeding was painfull. DD had a great latch and everything was right, I was just very very sore. I never had cracking or bleeding though. With DS same thing, sore and tender but no cracking or bleeding. This time though I used the lansinoh (sp?) which helped tremendously. With DD I was tender and crying with every latch for about 2 weeks. With DS it only lasted a week and a day or so. I am just so glad I knew it would end eventually!

Rikki ~~ Married Aug 04 ~~ DD Feb 06 ~~ DS Oct 07 ~~ DD April 12

#6 of 8 Old 01-27-2008, 09:21 PM

In my experience, it didn't hurt as bad the second time around. I think there were a couple of reasons for this. The first would be that I started with PureLan (lanolin) by Medela immediately the second time, whereas with my DS I didn't start with it until I already had some cracking. With DD, I began using it after each feeding and didn't have the cracking with her that I did with DS. Also, DS was a very aggressive nurser. DD was much more gentle (and still is!). So, she was just easier on me than DS was. So, my biggest recommendation would be to start with lanolin ointment (PureLan or Lansinoh) right away. Use it after every feeding and give yourself plenty of time to air dry. Hope that helps and congrats!!
#7 of 8 Old 01-27-2008, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

It is so funny about the lanolin suggestions...b/c my son barely finished nursing the very first time after his birth and I was totally lubed up with some lansinol...I was sure I was not going to be the gruesome pictures seen in my preggo books...I was slathering that stuff on after every feeding...

My LC scolded me when she came to my house telling me I was creating a feast for the thrush every time I put that stuff on...so I stopped using it and switched to the APNO...

#8 of 8 Old 01-28-2008, 06:20 AM

Much better the 2nd time around for us. With #1, I had cracked bleeding nipples and pain for weeks. With #2 the pain only lasted until my milk came in and he did not have to work as hard, so only 3 days and no pain since

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page