Tell me about your first NIP experience!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 01-29-2008, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD is my second DC but my first nursling. She'll be 2 wks old tomorrow and I know eventually I'll be out and about and have to NIP.
I want to hear about your first time NIP'ing. Were you self concious? Did a lot of people stare?
I live in a very BF unfriendly area. I have only seen one other person BF'ing IRL in my entire life!!

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

#2 of 26 Old 01-29-2008, 06:26 PM

Personally, I think my first NIPing experience was in a park, and DH was hovering around trying to help me hold up a blanket and it was incredibly awkward.

But we were in a pretty sheltered area and there really weren't very many people around. Also, DS was only a few days old and we were still getting the hang of nursing in general!

Since then I have NIPed quite a bit and I still feel uncomfortable sometimes but I don't feel like I need to erect a tent or anything anymore. I have nursed in restaurants, bookstores, grocery stores, parks, etc. I have never gotten any reactions from anyone other than smiles.

Tip: Learn to nurse in a sling. From when we learned to do that (which took awhile) until DS was about 6 months old I loved nursing him to sleep in the pouch and it worked as a cover-up at the same time!

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#3 of 26 Old 01-29-2008, 06:29 PM

DS was 2 weeks old, and we were on vacation. : I nursed him in a Ruby Tuesday. At first I tried to nurse him at our table but quickly found out he didn't want a blanket over his head, and there was an army of elderly men sitting at the table next to ours. So I went to the lobby where people sit while they're waiting on a table and nursed him there. One older lady did come by and say, "Oh, he's so sweet!" so that made it a positive experience.

I've since nursed in doctors' offices, Target, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, my son's school, the mall, etc. etc. etc. And I've learned that my LO won't tolerate anything over his head/face, so I've just learned to bare it all and not worry about what others think.

Congratulations on your sweet baby! She is beautiful!
#4 of 26 Old 01-29-2008, 06:37 PM

My first NIP experience was about 20 years ago and I, too, had never seen a nursing mother other than myself in a mirror. My own mother was of the "stick your finger in her mouth, rock her, and get on home as fast as you can" camp and I could tell that wasn't going to work very well relying on public transportation and living in San Francisco so I decided that dadgummit, if an alley was private enough that I might have smoked a joint there in my younger, wilder days, then I could nurse my baby there!

So sad in some ways, but I didn't know any better and it was a start.

My first NIP experience with Terran was a bit different. I needed a few things from the store and couldn't send the older kids, since I only had checks and no cash. I managed to get the two of us dressed and Terran in the sling and latched on. Between my size Large T shirt and the top rail of the sling, I doubt if anyone saw anything that trip.

The only other time I've taken him out of the house, I showed him off to a (male) neighbor and it didn't occur to either of us to be self-conscious about the fact that Terran was nursing. He's a sleepy baby who needs me to be aware that he gets enough to eat and the neighbor is a reasonably new daddy himself.

I'm so grateful to you for breaking the cycle and normalizing breastfeeding! Perhaps the teenaged girl who glances away nervously the first time you NIP will grow up to have a first NIP experience that is more like Terran's than Phoenix's, all because of YOU!
#5 of 26 Old 01-29-2008, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing your stories! I wish that BF'ing were more accepted as normal in this country so that first time NIP'ers wouldn't have to feel nervous or self-conscious! I don't want to look unsure the first time I NIP because if a another BF'ing momma walks by I want to radiate with confidence so that I may inspire her to feel comfortable NIP'ing as well.

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

#6 of 26 Old 01-29-2008, 07:11 PM

Good thread....

I have been a bit nervous myself about NIP... I know there I can't stay at home forever and wouldn't want to! I am just a pretty shy person, I don't think anyone ever had even seen my boobs until the day I gave birth

~*Have more than you show, speak less than you know*~

#7 of 26 Old 01-29-2008, 07:29 PM

My first experiece was probably when DS was 5-6 weeks old. DH and I went to a dinner maybe at Fridays (I can't remember, it been a while). Anyway, I am a very modest person, I would never wear a shirt that showed cleavage or anything, but I honestly didn't even think about it. My son needed to eat, so I fed him. I did try to use a blanket, which of course didn't work. DH spent the whole time staring at my chest letting me know every time he saw a tiny glimpse of skin. I was totally fine though, and looking around the room. No one else was looking at me at all, or was the slightest bit concerned about what I was doing. Our waiter did notice what I was doing and didn't look at me when I ordered, but I wouldn't say he seemed bothered by it. Honestly, DH was more stressed out about it than me, he has since relaxed a lot.

I've since gone on to breastfeed all over the place, in many different cities/states and all kinds of places. No one has ever said anything to me. Just do your thing and don't worry about what everyone else is doing.
#8 of 26 Old 01-29-2008, 08:28 PM

I went to the mall with my mom to get out of the house! I nursed at a table in the food court with my Hooter Hider and it went great. Much easier than I was expecting. That worked for a while, but now DD doesn't want anything over her face!

I tend to take her to the car to nurse when it's not too cold because she's going through a phase where she pullls off and looks around A LOT! It's just more comfortable for me.

I also wish that it were more socially acceptable, but I can't help feeling weird about complete strangers seeing my nips!
#9 of 26 Old 01-29-2008, 08:39 PM

I first NIP at the doctor's when DS was 4 days old! His doctor goes to my church and I had a sheild at that time, and couldn't get DS latched w/o seeing him, so the Doc saw everything, but he didn't make a big deal out of it.

Then it was the chiropractor's office, and the church nursery, and then the chinese restaurant in the mall which didn't work, so we found a hallway with a bench in it.

I have enouch practice now, that when DC#2 comes along, I really won't care!

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#10 of 26 Old 01-29-2008, 09:08 PM

I honestly can't remember the first time that I NIP'd. Is that bad? I remember nursing him at a restaurant with my aunt when he was about 2 months old, but I can't remember if that was the first time or not

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#11 of 26 Old 01-29-2008, 09:18 PM

I was window shopping at an outdoor mall and I decided to sit down on a bench and nurse. I was brand new to nursing at the time, and had one of those nursing covers for privacy. After about 10 minutes getting myself set up and covered up, I realized I couldn't even see the baby through the mesh at the top of the nursing cover and was having a hard time latching him on. Then a breeze picked up and the whole nursing cover blew up into my face exposing everything. I remember feeling pretty mortified, but I had to admit it was pretty funny... I must have looked ridiculous!

Fast forward 5 years of nursing... NIP looks like this. Sit down, whip out breast, latch baby on, relax...
#12 of 26 Old 01-29-2008, 10:37 PM

ds is 5 months old and out first "total" NIP experience was just last week at the court house. my family supports BFing but always insists that I use my hooter hider to nurse ds when we are out together. i had NIP'd with the hider several times, but when i was at the courthouse, i didnt have it. he was hunggry so i fed him! and let me tell you, i had never felt so liberated in my life! ds hates the hooter hider anyway(he thrashes about and ends up knocking it away) so he was calm and nursed without freaking out. and the best part was, no one even said anything. it was awesome!!
#13 of 26 Old 01-29-2008, 10:49 PM

I nipped for the first time in a restaurant. I never felt self-conscious until DS turned one. Then it seemed like I got a few stares but I got over it and was proud I had managed to nurse him so long. I stopped nipping when DS was about 28 months. He wasn't interested anymore because there were too many fun things to see and do and now he knows "na" is just for at home.

#14 of 26 Old 01-29-2008, 11:05 PM

but i remember the beginning and the awkwardness. and i totally remember the times when i felt so liberated and confident. here's what i did:

i had a c-sec, so we didn't go very far for the few 4- 6 weeks anyway. after that time passed ( and we went through a ton of crazy bad latch and bad nursing and mad pumping in that time) i was so shack wacky and ready to get out.

i started by doing it at friends and family house first. then i moved to the car at the mall...then inside the mall in the nursing or changing rooms. then the main mall on the bench with the stroller in front of me...then...etc.

it was really baby steps for me i was never approached by anyone who was disgruntled or nasty. anyone who was uncomfortable either said so behind my back or just left the area i DID remember getting lots of smiles and good thoughts sent my way.

another thing that made things easier for me was losing the nursing cover or blanket. the more i tried to cover myself up , the more of a spectacle that i made. i had FAR better luck just wearing a nursing tank ( my faves were by bravado designs www.bravadodesigns.com ) and a front opening shirt over top. the tank covered my belly, the babe covered the nip and most of the boob and the over shirt covered anything else that i wanted. it seriously was really easy.

practice a few times at home until you are comfortable. you can do this!! and it is a really cool feeling being able to go anywhere with your child and know they would be ok as long as i had diapers wipes and my breasts.

good luck and enjoy the freedom
peekaboom
#15 of 26 Old 01-29-2008, 11:06 PM

My first "public" experience with my firstborn was at a LLL meeting. I had been once during pregnancy, and my second time was when my dd was 3 days old. I was quite nervous, unreasonably so considering where I was , but everyone said I didn't "show" anything while getting her latched on. It gave me the confidence I needed to go on to nurse in public wherever I was for the next year, and with my next baby as well. I have never used a blanket, I just wore large shirts.
#16 of 26 Old 01-30-2008, 01:57 AM

I nursed pretty much anywhere using a cover for the first 2.5 months after DD was born. I mostly did it because I was still getting used to latching her on and I was nervous about flashing boob everywhere.

Then we went to Disneyland when DD was just over 2.5 MO... she was getting so wiggly that it was very tough to nurse her under a cover. So I threw caution to the wind and nursed her without a cover. Nobody stared. I didn't flash anyone. And I felt soooo liberated!

Now she's 7.5 MO and I've nursed her at restaurants, theme parks (went back to Disneyland a few weeks ago), church, stores, benches at the mall, the airport, and just about everywhere else. No one has ever given me a hard time about it and I don't live in a particularly crunchy area.

My advice is to just go for it! Chances are, you'll inspire another mamma to do it too!!

SAHM to DD (6/07) and DS (10/09); happily married to DH since 2/04 .
#17 of 26 Old 01-30-2008, 12:38 PM

My first time I NIP, I did it in the bathroom of the restaurant we were eating at my DH's request. A long talk later and I was doing it where ever and whenever. Usually I have to find somewhere to sit since DD is a pain to latch on if I'm standing for some reason but I've nursed in malls, restaurants, friends' homes, doctor's offices, in the Children's Museum, and while I was getting my staples out from my c-section and getting a u/s to check if I could have an IUD.
#18 of 26 Old 01-30-2008, 03:18 PM

I was fairly young when I had my first over 8 years ago and lived in a smaller town. I would worry so much when we would go out that she would need to eat. Sometimes I would nurse in the car.

Now, I try to plan ahead with my clothes and blankets, etc... We don't go out a lot, except to relatives houses. I wear a nursing tank under my clothes and if I need to be more descreet, I put a burp cloth or something over the top of my boob.

You get better at it the more you do it. It's sometimes hard when they're older and squirmy and tend to pop off more suddenly.

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
#19 of 26 Old 01-30-2008, 04:54 PM

My first NIP experience was at a bus stop. We were the only ones standing there, but there were other people around.

At 6 weeks, when my aunt was visiting, I went on a walking tour and had to nurse in the middle of the tour. I turned away, got situated, tucked E up in the Moby wrap and rejoined the group. Apparently you couldn't see anything because the tour guide decided to point out that E was his youngest group member ever during the nursing session, directing everyone to look at us! After that, I pretty much have nursed anywhere and everywhere.
#20 of 26 Old 01-30-2008, 07:33 PM

I cannot remember the first time nursing out either.

But I do remember the first time I needed to lose this constant self consciousness... My FIL came shortly after the birth and since DD had this "meal sensor" and needed to nurse as soon as I sat at the table, I spent 2 dinners and a lunch with my shirt open in front of my FIL and that helped me a lot. It was weird for the first little bit, but then I stopped thinking about it.
So maybe you can do something like this as a "practice". Nurse at home in front of people to slowly expand your comfort zone.
DH now talks about me "just whipping it out" and although I hate the expression I know he is proud of me and my confidence in nursing DD wherever, whenever :-)

Yarn-aholic Mom to 2 cutest little girls. Dec 06 blahblah.gifbikenew.gif and May 09 energy.giftoddler.gif  Looking for time tocrochetsmilie.gif and sewmachine.gif. Will always remember my missing babies too ribbonpb.gif

#21 of 26 Old 01-30-2008, 07:59 PM

I was in an IHOP when DD was a few weeks old and had an indignant speech all ready for anyone who would DARE say anything to me. Nobody noticed, or if they did they didn't care. I was almost sad that I didn't get to go off on anyone! LOL

I got a little self conscious when (my younger) DD got so BIG at not even 2 that she looked 3 or 4 (she's nearly 40 lbs at 2.5 and almost the same height as her 4.5 y.o. sister) because she's 95th percentile across the board. So while I wasn't self conscious exactly, I could have almost understood someone going "Whoa! That big kid is still nursing?!" Even though she wasn't yet 2.

But: a really nice lady (older than me, maybe 50s?) came up to me nursing her at 20 months or so in a local kid-friendly coffee house and gave me a bumper sticker that said "Thank You for Breastfeeding Your Baby" and I was so touched. I have no idea who she is but she really made me smile.

-Vijay
#22 of 26 Old 01-30-2008, 08:23 PM

First baby I was all nervous about nipping and almost always hid to feed her. The first time I nip'd dd was 4 mos old, while visiting my inlaws and having lunch in a pub. No cover up and it went fine. But I was sooo afraid I was going to flash my in-laws!

Second baby I was determined from the start that I was going to nurse wherever I was with no shame or covering up. So the first time my ds was about a couple of weeks old(and tiny and wobbly since he was a preemie). I was at a really small british resteraunt that was very open, just tables and chairs. I had a bunch of young men sitting behind me and ds needed to eat. I told my dh that I was determined to nip wherever I was and so I might as well just jump right in. It was a bit difficult because he needed help latching, it was hard to keep from occasional flashing. But since then I've made a determined effort to nurse no matter what and it has gotten to be old hat. And now I don't feel the need to hide, our nursing relationship is convenient and still going strong

Jenny
#23 of 26 Old 01-30-2008, 10:44 PM

My first nipping experience was with ds 2 and I will tell you it didn't go well, but not because of anyones reaction but because of my ds. I think I waited til he was too old (I think he was 4 months or so). Dh and I took him to lunch with us. He was so distracted by the surroundings I was constantly flashing everyone. I tried a couple times after that with him and gave up in lieu of planning my outings around his feeds. He was just the worlds most distractable nurser. Flashing people aside, I just plain couldn't get him to nurse in public. Ds3 it was just a manner of doing what had to be done. And I started early enough that it wasn't a problem, or maybe it was just his personality that food was more important than environment. I have nursed this LO in public a few times and in the car between stores even more because I find alot of places I am (mainly grocery stores) there isn't even a comfortable place to sit. Never has anyone commented at all.

I totally agree that you look more conspicuous with a blanket. Nursing in a sling is awesome if you can do it, but beware you may want a nursing top for those occasions. I went to nurse dd in the sling at the store cause I was in a hurry and realized the only way I could do it my side and lower back were exposed from pulling up my shirt...and frankly...I'd rather flash a little boob than share a love handle with the public. SO I nursed her in the sling, standing in the ladies room...thankfully she was very efficient

You'll be fine...start small..find a nice quiet corner somewhere (bookstores sometimes have great spots or go to the movies and nurse in the dark)...I promise the first time is the hardest. Each time you go and find that no one even notices, let alone care...you'll get stronger!

Amanda
Mommy to Alonzo (11), Jacob (9), : Lucas (8) & Trinity (almost 2!!)
#24 of 26 Old 01-31-2008, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
It's not my experience but I saw someone NIP in a crowded restaurant at the table next to mine a few weeks ago.

The baby had a blanket over its head. I saw it, realized what she was doing, and was happy for the mom. I didn't see anyone else look or comment on it. I peeked over a bit because I'm about to have DC#1 and was curious to see her NIP setup (was it a sling?, blanket? etc). DH didn't even realize it (probably thought she was cold) until he saw a baby a few minutes later and wondered where it came from. Then he finally put two and two together.
#25 of 26 Old 01-31-2008, 04:04 PM

@ a LLL meeting (not sure it *counts* LOL)

I remember feeling more awkward than anything. dd was 3d old, I was engorged, I was still recovering from a pp hemorrhage, I was sleep-deprived, and my breasts are HUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE even when I'm not nursing. I just had a regular pillow with me and it was difficult to get a good latch.

After that my favorite pillow arrived in the mail and I nip in a restaurant with my mom and my other kids. My mom was very supportive, she told me that you couldn't see anything.

Since then I've nip everywhere. And I don't use a blanket or a sling to cover me or my boob or the babe. I'm feeding my kid. It's normal, and it's also protected by law in my state, so get over it! (can you tell I'm waiting for someone to say something to me????)

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#26 of 26 Old 01-31-2008, 10:44 PM

my first nip experience was at our favorite mexican place when ds was a month old. i was still nervous about EVERYTHING, not just nursing, so of course i was anxious and it didn't got so well. i was able to be a bit calmer after we left and were sitting in our car.
we still eat at this place all the time and i often nurse ds there, except now he's 15 mos and i'm not so nervous! i usually wear a regular tanktop under my shirt. i pull the tanktop neckline under my breast, put ds in position then pull my outershirt over my breast and we go for it. i have never used a blanket to cover, that would be too much for me to coordinate!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page