Lansinoh? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 02-02-2008, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, this might be a totally stupid question, but I need to know. Does everyone automatically use lansinoh? I haven't found any reason to use it, and I wondered what nipple problem is so universal that everyone swears by this stuff. Should I be using it, and why?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I appreciate any feedback.

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#2 of 16 Old 02-02-2008, 11:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I used it with ds1. I ended up raw at first. He was nursing every hour or so, with about 30 inbetween. Thank goodness for lansinoh. After that, I think I had the breastfeeding down better and had a better latch, so it wasn't necessary. Many people also use calendula cream between sessions, but that usually needs to be wiped off, whereas, lansinoh does not.

#3 of 16 Old 02-03-2008, 01:43 AM

I think lansinoh makes the biggest difference during that difficult "learning" stage when they're learning to latch, and you're learning to hold and support and such. Once you're both comfortable and there's no pain or skin trauma from nursing, there's really not much point to the lansinoh. Of course, once teething starts, you may need to get it out again!:
#4 of 16 Old 02-03-2008, 03:11 AM

I used it with DD when she was two and was scraping me with her teeth leaving scabs. I used it with DS recently when he bit me and broke the skin.
#5 of 16 Old 02-03-2008, 05:10 AM

I use it for chapped lips--mine.
#6 of 16 Old 02-03-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Kate View Post
: I love to keep this stuff for my lips. I've also used it on really bad diaper rashes or baby rashes. Never really needed it for nursing, though.

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#7 of 16 Old 02-03-2008, 07:10 PM

It's one of the safest, and most effective, means of dealing with dry, cracked, or irritated nipples, or other parts of the body that are equally sensitive. It's safe for the baby, and the mom, and well, it works!

It is thick, thick stuff, so forms a protective barrier, and when your poor, abused breasts are taking a beating, every little bit helps.
#8 of 16 Old 02-03-2008, 07:12 PM

i never used it on my breasts but have used it quite a bit when DD has a diaper rash-- works fabulously!
#9 of 16 Old 02-03-2008, 08:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Kate View Post

I bought some and put it on a rash that my hubby keeps getting from walking in his uniforms. Neosporin wasn't doing anything after weeks. Lasinoh cleared it up, practically overnight! Two days later, the rash was gone!

After the rash cleared up, I told DH what it was. "booby cream"
#10 of 16 Old 02-03-2008, 08:30 PM

I used it in between feedings those first couple weeks. I also would put it on before I showered and that was much better! Maybe you just don't need it.
I've also used it on super dry lips, diaper rash once, and once or twice when my hands got painfully dry I rubbed it on the really bad spots.

"I'm so crafty, I make people" DD (01/06) and her much anticipated sibling (07/10) with my sweet DH (07/02)
#11 of 16 Old 02-04-2008, 12:52 AM

I used it a couple of times during the first few weeks. I didn't use it again until today. Caitlyn (9 months old) decided to bite me the other night, hard enough to draw blood and now i am in a great deal of pain when she nurses, so have started using cream again.

Mom to, Cassi,, 25 yo daughter, 4 yo twins, Carson & Camryn 3 yo Caitlyn and my wonderful 14 yo neice, Carlie
#12 of 16 Old 02-04-2008, 09:45 AM

I used it a couple of times in the first two weeks but I really didn't need it. I just used it cause it was there and wouldn't have missed it if I hadn't had any. Now, however, I use it to lubricate my pump horns.
#13 of 16 Old 02-04-2008, 10:45 AM

The first month or maybe even 6 weeks or so I had dry, cracked nipples. They actually bled a few times and there were a few days when I would just cry every time my son nursed. So I used it during that period of time and it helped a lot. I haven't needed it in a long time though, so I've been wondering what to do with the 3 tubes I have upstairs! Lip balm is a great idea, as is using it for other dry body parts. Why didn't I think of that?

SAHM to Ninja Boy (6) surf.gif and Monkey Man (4) carrot.gif.

#14 of 16 Old 02-04-2008, 12:17 PM

I bought it and haven't really used it. Never had the "dry cracked nipples" problem, luckily.
#15 of 16 Old 02-04-2008, 12:20 PM

We're vegetarian - so we dont use Lanisoh.. but I did use Nipple Butter by Angel baby Earth Momma. There are actually quite a few other things you can use for dry, cracked or sore nipples. Just depends on finding the one that works for you.
#16 of 16 Old 02-04-2008, 02:48 PM

I used it because of severe nipple pain in the beginning, but I stopped at about 6 weeks. We still use it for DS's eczema, though--it's awesome for that purpose!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page