Sinus Infection and Pink Eye - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-17-2008, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I suspect I have a sinus infection and my daughter the Pink Eye. Pink eye was notified at daycare on Thursday and today she has goopy eye symptoms. I am going to take her to a doc tomorrow so I can get a prescription and be ready if I need to fill it. But meantime, I am trying breastmilk.

Anyone have success with treasting Pink Eye with breastmilk?

And about me.... I have been sick for 8 days now. Really sick last week with off and on fever. Now I suspect the pressure and pain behind my nose and when I cough is a sinus infection. What antibiotics can I take when breastfeeding? I am doing saline, haven't tried my own BM because I doubt I could get it up high enough to do anygood.

Ugh, I can't afford to stay home next week and keep daughter away from daycare because as long as she has any discharge, she is not allowed there. Sucks, daycare gives it to her but then she is not allowed back! But I understand the reasoning. It still is costly for us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 05-03-2008, 12:20 AM

I tried frozen breastmilk today for pink eye for my son, but not sure if it has any good properties left because it was a really old bag of milk (like 15 months old). We'll see.
#3 of 6 Old 05-03-2008, 01:00 AM

I've used bm for my own nose and it works way better than saline. I can't quite remember how I administered it, I want to say I put it in a dropper and laid on the couch with my head tilted back. Gravity will do the job, you don't have to worry about getting it far enough up.

Anyways, it was like magic. You should definitely put bm in your own nose.
#4 of 6 Old 10-05-2008, 01:25 PM

Breastmilk works great for pink eye. We've had a horrendous case of it sweep through our household. My toddler had it for a week, then I had it for a week, then my toddler got it again and had it for another week (I've missed so much work it's ridiculous!). I got a prescription for antibiotic drops for my toddler when she got it the second time (normally I let her immune system take care of it. I'm not a big fan of medication when the body can manage on its own, but we've never had a case this bad or this persistent). Well, her infection started going away but then my 5-month-old started getting it, so I looked online for remedies for infants and found a suggestion to use breastmilk.

I expressed some breastmilk into both my baby's eyes (to treat the infected eye and prevent the other eye from becoming infected). Within HOURS the redness was nearly gone. By the next day, it was COMPLETELY gone. Seriously!!! What I did was express several drops onto her closed eyes and then let her open her eyes slowly. The milk seeped into her eyes and then I simply blotted away the excess with a clean towel. I did this four times over the course of the day. Next day she was good as gold.
#5 of 6 Old 10-05-2008, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I was successful in treating an eye infection with it when she was 6 weeks old. Everytime you feed her just squirt some in both her eyes.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years
#6 of 6 Old 10-05-2008, 04:01 PM

I used breastmilk for any eye things, for both my baby and me. I do remember my 2 month old had eye drainage, that my doctor told me was a sign of an ear infection. Sure enough, that's what he had. I remember thinking it seemed more like a blocked tear duct, rather than any pinkness to the eye or anything.

User Tag List