stupid breastfeeding question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 03-09-2008, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok - could what I am eating (or not eating) be causing my three-week-old baby to be kinda gassy and spit-up-ish?

is he allergic to me?

his latch is great (he's got a latch like a vacuum cleaner!), his appetite is voracious, I got plenty of milk - but after I feed him he seems so uncomfortable sometimes, all squirmy and whiny and tense. I feel awful about it. I have experimented with modifying the positions in which we nurse and burp, and that has helped, sorta.

Any thoughts?
#2 of 16 Old 03-09-2008, 05:48 PM

Not a stupid question at all! But yes your baby could be feeling gassy from your diet. 3 weeks is really young and sometimes they take longer to tolerate certain things like brocolli and beans.
#3 of 16 Old 03-09-2008, 06:42 PM

For both my kids, it was onions that caused the fussies!
#4 of 16 Old 03-09-2008, 07:24 PM

My DS is sensitive to cow's milk, and I've had to eliminate dairy from my diet entirely.
#5 of 16 Old 03-09-2008, 07:45 PM

Your baby would not be "allergic" to you -- it would be something in your diet. Cow's milk proteins and soy proteins are the usual culprits -- they're hard to digest and can linger in your system for a while. If you decide to cut out one or both (they're similar in structure and can cause the same kind of reaction) you'd want to give it about two weeks to see if it's making a difference.

You also mentioned that you have plenty of milk -- do you think you have a strong letdown? If he's gulping as the milk is flowing quickly, he might be getting an air bubble or something from that. If that might be a problem for you, try nursing in a position where gravity would help slow down the flow a bit -- lying down, or leaning back in a chair with him on a boppy at breast height.

mama to Joey (1/04) and Teddy (4/08) :
#6 of 16 Old 03-09-2008, 07:46 PM

It may not be your diet at all. If you have a lot of milk and/or a forceful letdown, that could be causing your baby's discomfort. The link below has some good info:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

The other possibility is that it's just normal newborn gassiness and spitting up.
#7 of 16 Old 03-09-2008, 07:48 PM

Totally not a stupid question!

Anything that gives you gas gives it to the baby--only more so. Try leaving it out. The good news: my DS got used to it after a few months, so I wasn't on a boring diet for a whole year or anything.

Progressive working mom to one Delightful Son, 1/07
#8 of 16 Old 03-09-2008, 08:35 PM

Not stupid at all!! My DS couldn't tolerate me having any dairy until he was 9 months old, and even then I could only have a little cheese, any more would really upset his stomach. Also, I have an over production of milk and would have very heavy letdowns. For us even laying down didn't work to the slow the milk and as soon as I'd feel that I was going to letdown I'd have to remove him (which made him furious) and wait a few seconds before latching him back on. Good luck, I hope you figure out what is causing it.
#9 of 16 Old 03-09-2008, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Gluten and dairy are both common, and both affected my kids. Around 3 weeks was when mine got more sensitive to it as well--don't know why it wasn't from day 1. If it's allergies/intolerances, you'd need to figure them all out to see improvement (so don't give up if you take out one thing and nothing changes).
#10 of 16 Old 03-09-2008, 09:25 PM

How much is he spitting up? My son had pyloric stenosis, I don't want to worry you but could that be a possibility?

http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/med..._stenosis.html
#11 of 16 Old 03-11-2008, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

I am sorry to hear that, kathteach. that sounds like a hard road.

thanks all for your helpful suggestions!

a coupla things make me think it's not so much a Serious Medical Issue and more of a run-of-the-mill pain in the neck:

1) he's not really projectile-vomiting or spitting up a very high volume.

2) he doesn't have a spitting-up/gas problem all day every day. yesterday, for example, was fine, today was tough.

3) we had really good growth the past two weeks, so said the doctor yesterday. (so, whatever it is that's bugging us, he's clearly not starving)

however, it does seem like the gas he has is really painful for the poor little guy (makes him cry). and he just recently developed this habit of making whiny/mad noises and getting all red in the face while nursing. but only on the right side.

I have had luck with modifying the position so that he's nursing "uphill" - but that's worked better on the left side than the right (or am I imagining that?).

here's another question - how long does it take food to cycle through me and make it into the milk?
#12 of 16 Old 03-24-2008, 12:35 PM

For me, I had to give up plain yogurt (I adore Nancy's Yogurt which is very tart). She's 6 months old now and if I eat yogurt, she STILL spits up a lot. Other dairy was fine.

Also, you may just have to live with some gas for a while. Which I know is the LAST thing you want to hear with a three week old baby. (Or one of the last things.) It sometimes just takes a while for their systems to even out. It gets better.

I think the standard for the food to cycle is about 24 hours, tho in my non-scientific opinion, it depends on the woman. I think for me it shows up faster than that (maybe 10 or so hours).

My doctor recommended going to a chicken/rice/chicken stock diet and then slowly adding things back in to see what caused the problem. I however did not want to be on that restrictive of a diet since I was on a gestational diabetes diet before she was born. But my mother-in-law managed to help me figure out what was causing the big problem (yogurt).
#13 of 16 Old 03-24-2008, 01:19 PM

DS went through a really gassy stage...actually he's still gassy but it doesn't bother him anymore. Have you tried pumping his legs to help him fart? DS also like to be carried face down on my arm while I rubbed his back. It may be something dietary but it may also be that he just has a hard time passing the gas on his own at this age.

Alison: BFing, BWing, ERFing mama to KidA (12/25/07) and KidO (6/26/10) nocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

#14 of 16 Old 03-24-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday13th View Post
DS went through a really gassy stage...actually he's still gassy but it doesn't bother him anymore. Have you tried pumping his legs to help him fart? DS also like to be carried face down on my arm while I rubbed his back. It may be something dietary but it may also be that he just has a hard time passing the gas on his own at this age.
: It is really common for infants of his age to have discomfort with gas. I think they are aware enough of their bodies they start responding to it. If you have a really forceful let down that can cause gulping and air swallowing. If it is forceful letdown it is easily remadied. Otherwise they usually outgrow it and become better at passing gas. DS would only allow you to carry him face down on your arm sometimes and he would fart like a mad man. Awful stinky farts too like worse than an adult sometimes.
#15 of 16 Old 03-24-2008, 04:19 PM

When my son was a few weeks old I thought what I was eating was bothering him so I tried several things.. eliminating dairy etc. It sort of seemed to work but then after weeks went on I gradually added them back and no issues. I think his tummy just wasn't totally developed and he had issues digesting. I don't seem to notice any issue now with what I eat and it bothering him... and he is about 3 months old now.
good luck
#16 of 16 Old 03-24-2008, 04:55 PM

It's not a stupid question at all!
When I nursed my boys I could have dairy and soy and that didnt bother them. It was the tomatoes, broccoli, beans, peppers, spicy foods, onions, and brussel sprouts that bothered them. My boys were so sensitive to tomatoes that I couldn’t even have ketchup!

If you get a chance you can do 1 (or both) of 2 things:
1. Start from scratch with a new bland diet and slowly introduce items and see what bothers the baby.

2. Keep a food journal and write down what you are eating and when and when the baby is feeding and his reaction. You should be able to trace back and narrow down what bothers him.

Dont get discouraged. It's very common. Hang in there, mom!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page