Do I really have to supplement with formula? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-12-2008, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Everyone keeps saying that eventually, when dd is older, I'll have to supplement with formula while she's eating solids. I'm very opposed to formula (sorry...I know that there are absolutely cases where its necessary, etc) and I really really don't want her to get a single drop. Do I have to eventually supplement, or if I practice CLW and she goes for a few years, is that okay?

I guess what I'm asking is, what's the cutoff age where, if she should wean herself, do I not have to supplement her?

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2008, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1 year. And no, you never need to supplement. If you absolutely NEED to supplement (health reason, that sort of thing) then under a year. Even if you ff, you would be told to wean at 1 year. Reasons escape me.

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
Old 03-12-2008, 10:56 PM

Unless you are experiancing supply failure or other suplly issues - there should be no reason to supplement her with formula - no matter what her age. You will have no reaons to supplement unles there is a physiological problem.

thats insane - who are these people who are telling you this? perhaps they do not realize that your body makes as much milk as your child demands. Just becasue you feed an older child solids does not mean that your boobs stop working. If anythign you may choose to give plain water in a sippy cup during table food "meals".

I nursed my ODD untill she was 13 months old (at which point I did hit a supply issue - I dried up completley i the midst of severe hyperesmisis in m y2nd pregnancy). And I NEVER supplemented her with formula.
My YDD nursed untill this January -27 months old. No formula.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:57 PM

* when I say "no matter what her age" I am automatically assuming that you will be BFing on demand for at least a year.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:58 PM

I've had four children and none have ever had a drop of formula.

If you would wean her before a year, then you would have to give formula. But it doesn't sound like you're planning on doing that, and barring any sort of medical catastrophe, it's highly unlikely she'll wean herself before a year.

You're doing great, mama. Don't listen to the naysayers!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 03-12-2008, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

You know, part of the issue is that I am feeding dd from one side exclusively and it's hard for people to believe I could nourish an older baby.

Gah, people.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:00 PM

I've been nursing my daughter for 29 months today (yay!) and I never needed to use formula.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, there is no WAY I will wean her until she's ready. I've worked really hard to bf and I intend to stick with it. Heck, some of the time I wish I never had to give her solids.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:07 PM

When I was pregnant with DS a few friends told me to hold on to any of the free formula I could get because it was so expensive, and "everyone has to supplement" They BF'd they knew I was going to BF, but they also thought that eventually everyone would need to supplement once in a while.

When DS was 5 months old I realized they just said those things to make themselves feel better about CHOOSING to use formula. I donated the 5 or 6 cans of formula I had to a shelter, My DS never had formula, it was never needed. My DD is 6.5 months old and barring some medical emergency she will never need formula.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:34 PM

Here's another nursed four babes and nary a drop of formula mommy! Ya don't need it and ya won't. If you are providing enough now, you'll provide enough in the future! I say, get some cotton for your ears and ignore those people!!!!

SAHM to four beautiful babes :
Old 03-13-2008, 01:01 AM

absolutley not. i'm very proud that no formula has ever crossed my dcs lips. i think it's awsome you just nurse on one side, most people just don't understand how the breast works.

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:19 AM

Not only did dd never have formula. She never had a bottle. Or a pacifier.

-Angela
Old 03-13-2008, 01:22 AM

Nope, never. My dd never even had a bottle. People don't understand that when adding solids you are doing just that...adding more food. You aren't taking away from your feedings, so there is not much of a chance of your supply dropping just because they start solids Your wonderful body makes as much as babe demands...trust me, I was nursing once an hour for 11 months and she was just fine, fat and content
Old 03-13-2008, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

I really WISH I could say dd never had a bottle- that is an awesome, awesome accomplishment. Good for you guys!!!

Old 03-13-2008, 12:49 PM

I have to pump at work. Ds is 8 mo, starting solids and my supply is actually starting to increase a little. So tell "everyone" to leave you alone. It sounds like you are doing a great job, especially feeding on just one side. Yay for you!!
Old 03-13-2008, 12:50 PM

I am a WOHM and I never had to supplement (with the exception of a couple of weeks at the beginning, but it wasn't a NEED to supplement, it was bad advice on how to deal with tongue tie and slow weight gain).

If you are only feeding from one side, that one side will compenstate and make enough for your baby.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridgewoman View Post
I really WISH I could say dd never had a bottle- that is an awesome, awesome accomplishment. Good for you guys!!!
: I've had to use a bottle on occasion, so that pretty impressive. DD2 hasn't had a bottle, and hopefully it will stay that way

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
Old 03-13-2008, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
No way. My DS will be 8 months old on Saturday and has never had one single drop of formula and never will if I can help it. And this is after two hospitalizations (including several days in the ICU) and battling low supply off and on for months. And he weighs 23 pounds.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:23 PM

Mine is 17 months and she's never had any formula.

Formula is certainly not necessary for most people, not after a year, if the child and mother are both healthy, and in some cases, even when they are not. Formula is used for short and long-term health issues, when stored, pumped milk is not available (do you have any frozen?).

You could respond by telling them that you shouldn't need it as long as you both stay healthy.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Old 03-13-2008, 03:43 PM

First of all, your baby is not OLD, secondly, if you can breastfeed your baby there are no reasons why supplement with formula. I totally agree with what another mommy said regarding people telling you these things so they feel better about THEM supplementing.

My mom was ALWAYS like that, saying that my baby was small because I was not feeding her enough and I needed to supplement, etc. Well, my baby nursed until 15 months when she was weaned for other reasons and she is just small because I am 5 feet tall and weight 94 pounds!

You are doing great. Don't worry about what other people say! (of course I know is hard) and by the way, my daughter is now almost 20 months and she doesn't even drink cow's milk, she just eats eggs, cheese, broccoli and other foods that have lots of calcium.

Gigi
Old 03-13-2008, 04:52 PM

No, you don't have to supplement! If you DO have to, clearly you'll know - otherwise, keep nursing!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
Old 03-13-2008, 05:08 PM

No I cant imagine why you would unless you couldnt nurse for some medical reason .. neither one of my BF kids had a drop of formula.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:53 PM

My 18 month old was exclusively breastfed until she was six and a half months. At that time she got a couple of bites of food (usually pureed vegetables that we were having) at dinner time. When she was 8 months old we were up to two means a day. She always just had a few bites of food and that was it. She mostly enjoyed playing with her food. By the time she was a year old we were up to three meals a day of finger food and we were offering her several types of food at each meal. I never have given her formula. I started offering her cow milk when she was 13 months old only because she asked for it in her cereal when she saw me pour it into mine. I still nurse her whenever she asks to nurse. The American Association of Pediatrics says to exclusively breastfeed for six months, then continue to nurse at least a year and continue after that as long as mom and baby want to. The Canadian Association of Pediatrics, WHO, UNICEF, and the United States Surgeon General say to nurse at least two years. Our bodies are made to nurse our babies. It is extremely rare for a woman's body not to be able to fully feed her child. We would not have survived for centuries and centuries if we needed to supplement. Just feed your baby and make sure that he is gaining steady weight and has good color. Also, see if there is a local La Leche League in your area. They have great information, too.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:34 PM

I have never heard of any reason why "everyone" would need to supplement at some point. Sounds to be like a formula company ploy that some people have bought into. DS is a year old and has never had a drop of formula.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:37 PM

My 10 month old baby has never had a bottle let alone formula. Keep on nursing mama! No way does your babe need formula now or later.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
Old 03-13-2008, 09:58 PM

If this were true...then what happened to all the babies who were born before formula was invented? Considering that we are all here, I would guess that our ancestors survived without any formula.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
Old 03-13-2008, 09:59 PM

Again, barring real supply issues, some sort of medical need...I don't see it either. Ds chose to start other tastes at 7 mo....at 15 mo he would take my milk from a sippy cup when I went back to work. He's still nursing a little...never had any formula.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

Old 03-13-2008, 11:32 PM

I don't really see why mamas are boasting that their babes have never had bottles (of BM). What difference does that make?

I never understand what magically happens at 12 months that magically babies are OK to have milk intended for baby cows instead of milk intended for baby humans? Why not 11 months? Or 14? I am totally serious.

But one more voice on the NOT TRUE My DD's 10 months and never had formula. She self feeds solids but mostly still breastfeeds. I can't imagine weaning her in two months.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:44 PM

Just agreeing with most of the previous posters, and adding that DD never had formula, or even a taste of cow's milk til she was past 2.
Even now, at 4 she only occasionally has even a quarter cup of cow milk.

nothing more to say I guess :
Old 03-14-2008, 12:14 AM

No! Your gut is telling you the right thing. Follow your instincts.

User Tag List