What do YOUR kids call them? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-14-2003, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Alright for all you nursing mommies.
What do your children call your breasts? I've heard some pretty strange and adorable names myself but anyone who'd like to share what their little darlin's come up with please feel free to.

My little girl knows them as "Nummies" my husband actually came up with the name and she sure knows what it means even though she's not talking yet

"Nummy time" yeah!

E & K (13yrs) and our flock of 6!

"Hey little one, why don't you go get cleaned up, you look like a country bumkin."
"Mum, I am a country bumkin"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2003, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They call breastfeeding "nursing," and breasts are "breast-es." (Sounds so Shakespearean! LOL)

Cute names for breastfeeding are nice, but it really is important for children to know and be comfortable using the proper names for their anatomy.

Why? Well, first I'd ask, Why Not? Are you squeemish about bellybuttons or elbows or knees? We teach our children those terms, so why not teach them about their breasts, penises and vulvas?

Additionally, your child needs to know (and be comfortable saying) the proper terms so that if anyone ever touches him/her there, he/she can easily communicate that to you or another adult. If we refuse to talk about our "private" parts in context (diaper changes, buying new underwear, bath time, etc) we are teaching our children never to talk about them, even when they should. When your 14 year old daughter gets her first yeast infection, do you want her to suffer in silence or tell you, "My vulva REALLY itches." When your son finds an unusual lump in his scrotum, do you want him to feel comfortable mentioning to his doctor during a physical? I had a lump in my breast for over 3 years that I never once mentioned to my parents. By the time I had it removed when I was 19, it was bigger than a walnut.

I highly recommend the book Protecting the Gift: Keeping Children and Teenagers Safe (And Parents Sane) by Gavin De Becker for more on keeping your children safe from predators without being paranoid about potential dangers.

Ulrike, mom to:
Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)
Old 09-14-2003, 06:45 PM

Ds calls them nursies. He also likes to talk about "neeples."

We went to a Thai restaurant the other day, and they had two statues of bare breasted women that were just ds's height. Ds kept pinching their anatomy, saying "NEEPLES!!" My Mom just about had a fit! (I thought it was funny!)
Old 09-14-2003, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

I fully agree with you UlrikeDG, and thank you for bringing up an extremely important subject.
My daughter's "fun name" for my breasts are simply for feeding purposes only, and I do not intend to let her grow up thinking that's what they're really called LOL
I am merely saving myself the embarrassment of being paged in a department store by an unruly toddler exclaiming, "Mommy I want to Breast feed now!" I'd rather have "Nummies please" ( a little more discrete

"Hey little one, why don't you go get cleaned up, you look like a country bumkin."
Old 09-14-2003, 07:15 PM

My son weaned himself about a decade ago, but I figured to relate this story to you to let you know how having a name for your breasts can be very convenient.
My son when he learned that he could say a word and get nursed, decided to call my breasts 'titty'. Very accurate, and I never thought much about it, until one day, when shopping in our small town grocery store, and standing in a long check-out line, Sam decided he wanted to nurse. RIGHT NOW!!! At first he just pulled on my shirt. Then he said "Mama, I want titty.", I tried to pursuade him to wait a few minutes, but no, he said louder, "Mama, I WANT titty!", then he ranted over and over, "I WANT TITTY, I WANT TITTY, TITTY MAMA, TITTY!!!!". Just then, a kindly elderly lady walked up and said, "How sweet, he wants his kitty.". I'm glad she was a little hard of hearing.
We then, decided to call them Nunnies, or Nun-Nun.
Old 09-14-2003, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

LOL! That's a great story! Thanks!

Old 09-14-2003, 07:34 PM

My dauhgters called them beebees.

I called them numnums or nummers.

My friends daughter just asks for milk.

Mommy to Ryah 12, Reanna 11, Parker 6 and Cooper 3 months
Old 09-14-2003, 07:47 PM

Another vote for "boobies"!
ITA that we need to know the proper names for our bodies, but, OTOH, I find the medical terminology of female body parts too, well, male-oriented. I really like the term "yoni" instead of vagina, for example, because I feel it is much softer and encompasses the true nature of our female sexuality. So while my daughter knows the proper names for body parts, I have no problem calling them by their softer, more feminine names
Old 09-14-2003, 09:27 PM

My daughter calls my breasts "breasts" and my nipples "nipples." When she wants to breastfeed, she says "please mommy milk."

I agree that the word vagina is too male-oriented ("sheath") and I prefer the word yoni, but how are the words "breast" or "nipples" male-oriented or sexist?

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

Old 09-15-2003, 05:44 AM

My 17 mo calls them num nums. (but she also calls cups of water num nums occasionally!)

Laura, mama to J (15), N (12), E (9) , M (6), and our little caboose, R (3).
Old 09-15-2003, 08:44 PM

I have "nursies" for my right boob and "other side" for the left one. Sometimes she likes to start with "other side" and switches to "nursies" half-way through.
Old 09-15-2003, 09:58 PM

My 21 month ds says "feed?" then when he wants the other side he says "gone. more?"
If we are naming body parts and he points to them I say breast, but I guess 'feed' is more on his mind than 'breast' because "feed" gets him fed!
Old 09-15-2003, 11:15 PM

DH cam up with a nickname for nursing when our dd was an infant..... "boobie juice" :

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:29 AM

With child #1 -it was nursies
#2-it became nanny
#3- it is nanny or nannies

Nanny is much less conspicuous than nursie .

::
momma to 4
Old 09-16-2003, 11:21 AM

My 20 mo DD calls my left breast "mamas" and the right one "oyer side" (other side). Although she does refer to them as boobies or breasts if she's not interested in nursing. She also refers to her own as boobies or breasts.

We have generally been teaching her the anatomically appropriate names for most body parts, but sometimes it is easier for her to associate a "cute" name. For instance, she calls her pubic area "pee-pee" because she understands that that is where pee-pee comes from.
Old 09-16-2003, 11:48 AM

"Boos" and "adder boos" for the other side.

Sarah born 04/03/02dust.gif , Ashley born 03/13/04homebirth.jpg,  Rigel born 09/10/11 nocirc.gif

Old 09-16-2003, 12:01 PM

"the littles" referrring to my nipples. It started out with him being enamored with my nipples. "Awwwwww, soooo little..."

Then I called it "silly littles"

He's 3.5 and I weaned him a month ago. He made up a song about it...

"ha ha, silly little"
ma ma, silly little"
pa pa, silly little"

He still gets excited when he sees me topless and starts singing the song and tries to touch my littles. It's cute. Though I'm trying to tell him NOT to dive in my shirt in public (even at home) to find my littles - and sing the song.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
Old 09-16-2003, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
my son mostly uses the sign for milk (opening and closing your hand, sort of like you're milking a cow LOL).. which is very discreet

but now he's also learning how to say 'nurse'.. although it comes out like "noose".

i call them Milkies!

Momma to K ('01), E ('03) and A ('07)
Acting as a Gestational Surrogate for my cousin, EDD Jan 17th
Old 09-16-2003, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Devrock
I agree that the word vagina is too male-oriented ("sheath")
I'm confused. what does this mean?

I know what yoni refers to, but what does it mean? why is it more feminine than vagina?

Noah hasn't started saying a word for nursing yet, but i ask him if he wants to nurse or "nursie-nursie"

he likes to point at and touch my nipples (which we call nipples). and I usually call my breast "boob" because it's easier to say.

edited to add: I TOTALLY recommend Protecting the Gift as well. After reading it, I feel like it should be mandatory that the government send a copy to everyone who works with or has children (among a few other books as well )
Old 09-16-2003, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blessed81902
I'm confused. what does this mean?

I know what yoni refers to, but what does it mean? why is it more feminine than vagina?

The word "vagina" literally translates as "sheath." As in, a receptacle for the man's "weapon." Sexist. Male-oriented. "Yoni," on the other hand, is just a word that means that body part.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

Old 09-16-2003, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Devrock
The word "vagina" literally translates as "sheath." As in, a receptacle for the man's "weapon."
I can't believe that (although I have NO IDEA why I'm actually surprised : ). I'm not calling it that anymore
Old 09-16-2003, 11:23 PM

Quote:
but how are the words "breast" or "nipples" male-oriented or sexist?
Because I LOVE THE WORD "BOOBIES", OKAY? THERE. I SAID IT. I LOVE LOVE LOVE THE WORD BOOBIES AND I WILL NOT CALL THEM ANYTHING ELSE!!!
There you have it. Candiland's deep, dark confession. LOL
Old 09-17-2003, 12:09 AM

Kailey calls them nu-nu's.

She knows her body parts, mine and DH's. We use the words yoni, totterman, butt, and bottom.

She also knows what and where breasts are.

Old 09-17-2003, 12:36 AM

My little guy just says Nurse pweeeeeaasse, yummy milk.
He tried to share with his stuffed kitty the other afternoon. "share the yummy go juice Mommy"
He is very expressive for 21 months.
He looks up and giggles alot too.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:26 PM

we're a bi-lingual family and we call them tetas (tits!). to nurse is to have teta. He isn't talking yet, but teta was the very first sign he learned (we use the 'milk' sign) and he uses it ALL the time.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:42 PM

Dd refers to them as "een"-eating?nursing? Who knows?Or "uh ide"-for other side.Ds,who is not nursing calls them "nursies" like I do.He calls his,dads and dd's "little nursies" cos they don't have milk.

:::
Old 11-07-2003, 08:00 PM

i dont know where this word came from but when my son was aboutjust starting to talk he started using the word 'mammo' at first i didnt know what he meant but started patting my chest and saying 'mammo' he still calls it that today but i have no idea what word he has altered to ctreate his word for breasts or breastfeeding. its quite funny as it sounded as if he was trying to say mammory!!! which neither dh or i have ever referred to my breasts as - weird!
Old 11-07-2003, 08:17 PM

Here we say milkies. Recent derivatives made up by dh include milky-milks and milky-o.

But I use those words for nursing - the act of breastfeeding. (Do you want to do some milky-milks?) I still refer to my breasts and nipples when I am talking about those physical parts so I think ds will learn the proper names for all parts of his and my body.

that's is so important for the reasons mentioned - but it's also good to have fun with silly names for things. Personally I can't resist all those endearments for his great little body.

I think the baby also senses something awkward if you happily and casually refer to his tummy, feetsies and toesies, etc. - but are suddenly correct and formal with penis and vagina.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:37 PM

Nee-Nee has been the code word for nursing in our house for over a decade now. Nee-Nees if you're referring to the actual items themselves
Old 11-07-2003, 11:34 PM

dd says nunna, nunna, NUNNA!!!but lately on occasion she has been using beebee's for my nipples, she is a twiddler! And it's driving me mad!

I don't know what terminology will use with her, vagina sounds harsh to me but that is what ds knows(7), along with breasts, penis....

User Tag List