teething=less nursing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-18-2008, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think DD is about to get a couple of teeth. The last time she got them (her first 2), she barely nursed at all the day before they popped through. She's been nursing less the last couple of days, but still no teeth, and I'm starting to worry. She'll start nursing and then pull off a million times, sticking her hands in her mouth, and then quit before she's had a full feeding. I'm offering the breast often, but I know she's getting less milk than usual. She has been taking 2 good feedings at night, and gets about the equivalent of 2 or 3 decent ones during the day. I've tried pumping and get very little out, even though I know there's milk in there! What I can get out, she'll take mixed with cereal (she won't take a bottle and spits and spills with a cup). And I have no stored milk left. She still wants solid food--she just chowed down 2 big chunks of sweet potato. I've tried limiting her solids so she'll nurse more, but it doesn't seem to work that way. Can a 8.5 month old get enough milk from this small handful of feedings?

Mama to DD (06/30/07).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 03-18-2008, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It sounds like you are doing fine. My daughter has slowed down on nursing for teething and other times she doesn't feel well.

Is your lo having plenty of wet diapers?

I would keep pumping regardless of what you get to help keep your supply up. If your lo is anything like mine, she is getting a lot of milk in the first couple minutes.

It is probably good not to give too many solids, and to offer the breast often, but I suspect this will resolve itself soon.

Best

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page