Bottle Question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 03-25-2008, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I know it's a little early to think about this, but...I plan on nursing until I have to go back to work. Then, I plan to pump. My question is, what type of bottle is supposed to be close to nursing? With ds we used the playtex drop ins. They worked fine, but the drop-ins can get expensive. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas/experience with any good ones.
Thanks!
#2 of 27 Old 03-25-2008, 01:18 PM

I'm going with glass bottles this time to avoid the chemical bisphenol-A that is in most plastic bottles. We used plastic Dr. Brown's last time with DS and it cut down on his tummy troubles alot. This time I plan to try the glass Dr. Brown's. Last time I found that DS didn't do well with Avent. I really think it depends on the baby so I'll probably just buy one bottle, give it a try and then decide which one baby likes best. I plan on introducing the bottle some around 4 weeks old in hopes baby won't refuse the bottle when I return to work around 8 weeks.
#3 of 27 Old 03-25-2008, 01:22 PM

we did the same as above.
we used Dr Browns plastic but we are going with Born free this time or with Dr Browns glass.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#4 of 27 Old 03-25-2008, 01:30 PM

Babies R Us does sell nipples that are supposed to be close to a mother's. I suppose you would use them as a transitional type thing. I think Avent and Playtex has them. You should check the site or the store.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#5 of 27 Old 03-25-2008, 02:46 PM

I love glass bottles, too. Anything I can sterilize I love

And from my experience, I would try and give a bottle so baby gets used to it. I made this mistake with Liam, and he refused to eat until I was home and he could nurse. I hadn't anticipated going back to work so soon and was ill prepared to say the least. I would pump at work and leave at 2 to come home & nurse. But I felt so bad and DH was frustrated b/c Liam just would not take a bottle. Even though I plan on nursing, I won't make the bottle mistake again and I would hate to see someone else go through it

Meredyth partners.gif Travis, Mama to my boys J, L, E & my girl B
Bella Rose is here 07/29/10!
Always missing my angel1.gif
#6 of 27 Old 03-25-2008, 02:48 PM

Just subbing....I have been wondering the same lately. I also want to check out some of the glass bottles. i did see some that had a silicone wrap around a glass bottle with little holes (made it easier to grip)...though can't remember the name. I too used the playtex drop ins or liners...does anyone know of any link between those and the bisphonal - A or are they considered "safe"?
#7 of 27 Old 03-25-2008, 04:45 PM

I never gave my second and third baby a bottle, so they would never take one. But with the twins, I will need to start attending births again before they are a year old (around 8 months maybe?) and so bottles are a must. Plus with two, I think it will be nice to have dad and kiddo's helping a little more with feedings when they are older. I will also be getting the Dr. Browns glass bottles.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#8 of 27 Old 03-25-2008, 04:52 PM

I didn't use bottles much but when I did I always used the playtex drop-ins - they do get procey but you can often find coupons. I haven't read anything negative about them.
#9 of 27 Old 03-25-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeandolive View Post
Just subbing....I have been wondering the same lately. I also want to check out some of the glass bottles. i did see some that had a silicone wrap around a glass bottle with little holds (made it easier to grip)...though can't remember the name. I too used the playtex drop ins or liners...does anyone know of any link between those and the bisphonal - A or are they considered "safe"?
Not in your DDC, but everything I have read aobut the drop-ins suggests that they are safe, mainly b/c the liners are single-use, which of course is the major problem with them: use once, and toss.

That being said, I used the Playtex drop-ins and will probably do so again with my second babe, as I found that they worked well with breastfeeding and worked well at daycare.

You can get Target brand, Walgreens brand or Safeway brand (not sure if any of these stores are near you) liners for less than what the Playtex liners cost.
#10 of 27 Old 03-25-2008, 05:19 PM

I also used the Playtex drop ins with the latex natural latch nipples (slow then medium flow.) I had to EP my second son until he was 4 months old, then continued to give him EBM until he was 2. I think the silicon nipples are gross, hard to latch on to & didn't see many other bottles that require wider latches like the Playtex ones.

That said, I am hoping not to use bottles this time as I do not plan on working for a few more years.

I'm Deborah, mama to Aidan, 11/02, Sean, 9/04 (my T21 SuperBoy), and Eleanor, 8/08.
#11 of 27 Old 03-25-2008, 05:31 PM

When I was working and pumping, I tried Avent and they were adamatly refused, lol. Actually she just reverse cycle nursed...took nothing during the day (slept) and waited until I got home and nused all night!
#12 of 27 Old 03-25-2008, 08:13 PM

Playtex drop ins, Adiri Nurser (aka Breast bottle), or Dr. Browns glass bottles.

I'm working on creating a tip sheet for women who are working and pumping for my LLL group. PM me if you want it when I'm done.
#13 of 27 Old 03-25-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meredyth0315 View Post
I love glass bottles, too. Anything I can sterilize I love

And from my experience, I would try and give a bottle so baby gets used to it. I made this mistake with Liam, and he refused to eat until I was home and he could nurse. I hadn't anticipated going back to work so soon and was ill prepared to say the least. I would pump at work and leave at 2 to come home & nurse. But I felt so bad and DH was frustrated b/c Liam just would not take a bottle. Even though I plan on nursing, I won't make the bottle mistake again and I would hate to see someone else go through it
Just to hop in on the other side of the coin...I totally understand your frustration but be careful to NOT introduce the bottle too too early. The nursing must be good and strong with no problems else a bottle could just make the nursing problems much worse. (I may be over cautious but having dealt with nipple preference first hand I know how much worse a bottle can make nursing if things are not already going well.)

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

#14 of 27 Old 03-25-2008, 10:33 PM

when i was ep'ing for avery (30 weeker) we got caught up in the hype of the Avent craze but came to find the nipples weren't maleable at all and she didn't have to work very hard (compared to nursing) to get anything, so it wasn't helping her transition between the two (she eventually learned to nurse 3 months after birth and became an exclusive nurser). She could literally just open her mouth and put it on those Avent nipples and the milk would fall out of the bottle.

We switched about a month in to Playtex Natural Latch nipples and never looked back. To us they were the closest to MY nipples - which is exactly what I was looking for. Squishy and the right shape so she had to work it like a real nipple to get anything out. I really think it helped her "click" into the rhythm of nursing better too (whoever thought I could thank Playtex for helping my baby become a boobtick until 3 1/2 years old?? ).

Anyway, long story short, my $0.02 is to skip the Avent (SO expensive anyway), start with Playtex Natural Latch, be it with regular or drop in bottles (we used drop ins... less air), to stay as close to breastfeeding as possible. If you find that the Natural Latch aren't comparable to YOUR anatomy, what your baby is used to, then seriously go down the aisle at Babies R Us or whathaveyou and examine the different types that are out there. Find something comparable to YOU in terms of flexibility, shape, and size, and your baby will have a much easier time going back and forth. JMO.
#15 of 27 Old 03-25-2008, 10:47 PM

we tried avent too and it was refused - seems like everyone I know did - how did they suck us all in like that =)
#16 of 27 Old 03-25-2008, 11:44 PM

I am changing out the few bottles I have with glass ones. I only saw a few options, but the one looks like it has a slow flow nipple. I will mostly nurse, but it is nice to have a night out w/o baby now and then.
#17 of 27 Old 03-30-2008, 08:36 PM

I'm a newbie at this all, so I was hoping someone could tell me whether you can pump directly into a glass bottle. Are there websites out there that go over the pros and cons of different bottle types?
#18 of 27 Old 03-30-2008, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In keeping with the DDC Guidelines, I'm going to move this to breastfeeding.
Quote:
We would like to remind you that many topics important to expectant parents should be discussed in the appropriate forums. We reserve the right to move threads started in a DDC to an appropriate forum if necessary. These are some forums you may find helpful:

* Breastfeeding - This is a wonderful forum for expectant moms to learn about establishing a healthy and mutually satisfying breastfeeding relationship with their new baby.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#19 of 27 Old 03-30-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymum View Post
I'm a newbie at this all, so I was hoping someone could tell me whether you can pump directly into a glass bottle. Are there websites out there that go over the pros and cons of different bottle types?
I don't know but I have read that the Medela bottles have always been BPA free and that they are also coming out with new ones.

There are tons of bottles out there now that are BPA free so glass isn't the only option anymore.
#20 of 27 Old 04-14-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymum View Post
I use a Medela pump with included bottle and then just transfer to another storage container (Medela's bottles are bisphenol-A free too though, so you could really store in them.) Glass is definitely the best for freezing to keep out contaminants.

We use Born Free bottles (they have Bis-free plastic AND glass), but they are super expensive. I think Dr. Brown's makes glass bottle too.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#21 of 27 Old 04-14-2008, 05:43 PM

Evenflow makes glass bottles that work with the medela and ameda pumps and are really cheap to boot
#22 of 27 Old 04-14-2008, 07:29 PM

My LC recommended The First Years Breastflow, available at Babies R Us. They have two nipples (an inner one and an outer one), which is supposed to be breast-feeding friendly.
#23 of 27 Old 04-14-2008, 07:52 PM

Just a heads up...most child care centers will NOT take glass bottles. If your child will be in a center, you really need to call and ask before you buy glass. I would hate for someone to stock up and then not be able to use them.

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#24 of 27 Old 04-15-2008, 03:59 PM

Does anyone use the evenflo bottles? My LC told me to go for the evenflo glass bottles with Gerber Nuk nipples or for BornFree. We tried giving my son (4 weeks) 1 bottle, and he had a hard time with it. I think the born free nipples look more like mine, but bornfree bottles are $$$$$.
#25 of 27 Old 04-15-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanni View Post
Does anyone use the evenflo bottles? My LC told me to go for the evenflo glass bottles with Gerber Nuk nipples or for BornFree. We tried giving my son (4 weeks) 1 bottle, and he had a hard time with it. I think the born free nipples look more like mine, but bornfree bottles are $$$$$.
I used the evenflo w/the nuk nipples when we were supplementing my first w/no problems but my second *hates* them and the avent nipples too so we tried the playtex nursers and he's much happier. I only use a bottle maybe once a week and side-step the whole drop-in dilema by using the BM storage bags. I really dislike the disposable aspect of the playtex nursers but it's what works for him so I won't grumble too much about it.
#26 of 27 Old 04-15-2008, 06:44 PM

I use the Evenflo glass bottles and silicone nipples from Babies R Us. I think the baby will probably adjust to whatever you introduce them to. We introduced the bottle around 5 weeks, and he got one at least once a week just to keep it familiar, until I went back to work. I also started building up my freezer stash around 5 weeks.

Good luck!
#27 of 27 Old 04-15-2008, 08:24 PM

We've just started using bottles, and have gone with Born Free - she took it right away, no problems!!! Amazing.

We used Avent with G, and it took weeks for her to take the bottle . . .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page