Mothering Forum banner

Baby in NICU-not latching!

614 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Luvourlives 
#1 ·
Help mamas! cross posted from BF Challenges forum. I BF my first DD with no issues to speak of. I gave birth to a lovely, fat little 9lb 13 oz girl monday afternoon. She latched on soon after birth and we had a lusty feeding session of about 20 mins on each side followed by a short interrupted session a few hours later.

Unfortunately, she had some significant breathing issues and ended up in the NICU soon after. She's not had anything by mouth since then, but we finally got the go ahead this afternoon to try nursing! YAY!

Our first session was totally ineffectual. She opens wide for a good latch, but just rolls her tounge around and never actually clamps on. She did have a pacifer when I came in-which is a first. She likes my knuckle, and latches down on that quite enthusiastically, but doesn't like my nipple at all now, and isn't even that wild about the pacifier. She SEEMS hungry. I express a bit of colostrum on my nipple tip to bait her... but she just won't latch.

What's going on? Is it nipple confusion? Any advice would be most helpful. I'm going back to give it another shot around midnight. The lactation consultant wasn't available at the time to help out, but I'll check with her asap too.

See less See more
#4 ·
we're nursing!!!! Our midnight feeding was successful, as was a 9am one! this girl, for some really odd reason, needs the breast tissue really flattened before she will clamp down. This is a bit awkward, since to flatten it as much as she likes my fingers are sorta in the way, but we're working through it! I just can't beleive how good it feels to be able to nurse her! it helps me feel like for just that bit, we are an island of normalcy in the crazy artificial world of the NICU.

#5 ·
Woo Hoo Congratulations!!! I am a former NICU momma myself and it really does make you feel good to be able to do all you can for your baby! I hope your NICU stay is short and that she comes home in good health very soon!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.