the [censored] squirming - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-03-2008, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my 3.5 month old daughter is in a phase right now where she will not stop squirming at the breast. She squirms and kicks and punches and pulls my hair and I want to lose my mind.

she's never been a particularly peaceful nurser, but this is just so irritating. she squirms so bad she loses her latch, then slurps the nipple back into her mouth, which is uncomfortable at best. then she squirms around some more, grins at me, and slurps the nipple back up. I think she's playing, so i take her off and put my breast away, and she starts gnawing on my shirt like she's hungry.

she was diagnosed with reflux a couple of months ago but hasn't really had any symptoms in a few weeks - we're treating symptomatically at this point.

we have been weaning off a small amount of formula supplement which she's been receiving since three weeks of age or so, but she just hit a growth spurt and we lost ground on that front. she takes only a few ounces a day. has never seemed to have trouble going from breast to bottle and back.

it is all i can do not to just stuff a bottle in her mouth. I hate it. it is so miserable.

what is the problem here, and how in the world do i fix it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2008, 02:21 PM

You could try swaddling to nurse or nurse laying down. My dd did alot of similar things at that age and we did return to swaddling for a bit (actually I am still swaddling her for sleep). I have also noticed that she is more down to business when laying down, though she has times when she unlatches and rolls onto her back, then comes back and does the off and on thing several times. Oh and try walking or dancing while you nurse.

Amanda
Mommy to Alonzo (11), Jacob (9), : Lucas (8) & Trinity (almost 2!!)
Old 04-03-2008, 04:39 PM

My (almost) 3mo. does the same thing! He is sooo squirmy. Pulls my hair, kicks his legs, pops off and looks around, gets back on takes a few sips and pops back on. It doesn't bother me so much but just wanted to say that my lo does the same thing.... Sometimes it is kinda annoying having to relatch him when he can't seem to find it. He doesn't have reflux or anything, at first I thought it was gas so I would take him off and try to get a burp/fart out of him and most of the time I would but he is still just as squirmy.....

~*Have more than you show, speak less than you know*~

Old 04-03-2008, 04:45 PM

My (almost) 3mo. does the same thing! He is sooo squirmy. Pulls my hair, kicks his legs, pops off and looks around, gets back on takes a few sips and pops back on. It doesn't bother me so much but just wanted to say that my lo does the same thing.... Sometimes it is kinda annoying having to relatch him when he can't seem to find it. He doesn't have reflux or anything, at first I thought it was gas so I would take him off and try to get a burp/fart out of him and most of the time I would but he is still just as squirmy.....

Old 04-03-2008, 04:54 PM

DS is the the same age and doing the same thing. It's frustrating. Once he gets really squirmy and is popping off more than he's eating, we take a break. I'm happy to nurse him again in 5 minutes or 20 or whenever he's hungry again but the constant on and off (usually after a good 5 or 10 minutes of eating) makes me nuts and usually means he's more interested in having some wiggle time than eating anymore. He's also better while laying down.

Alison: BFing, BWing, ERFing mama to KidA (12/25/07) and KidO (6/26/10) nocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

Old 04-03-2008, 05:23 PM

I find that my LO does the same thing more often when I am talking to someone. I guess its her way of telling me to pay attention to her!
Old 04-03-2008, 05:31 PM

I'm still keeping my almost 15 week old swaddled for feeding. He can't focus without it.

DS 5yrs coolshine.gif DD 1.5 joy.gif Second mommy to 4 DD's jumpers.gif

Old 04-03-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda2r14 View Post
I'm still keeping my almost 15 week old swaddled for feeding. He can't focus without it.
This. my DS2 was exactly the same. He still does squirming acts now at 13 months sometimes and I find singing to him helps. He's just SO interested in what's going on around him he can't focus on eating.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:41 PM

Glad I stumbled upon this thread-- I was thinking of calling my lactation consultant! My nearly-4-month-old son does the same thing. He arches and squirms, and tries to rip off my nipple repeatedly. Gah. If I take him away from the breast to try to burp him, he freaks out. It's a battle of wills, and he's usually the winner.

At least I know this is common at this age. Maybe I'll swaddle him for feeds before talking to the LC.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:05 PM

My nearly 4 month old started doing this a couple of weeks ago also. Then after about two weeks of nonstop squirming, he just stopped and went back to normal (although he is less likely to fall asleep at the boob at every nursing now). I think that maybe he was just starting to take notice of things around him more and it took a couple of weeks for him to adjust to that and be able to focus on eating with all the excitement. That's my only theory...I wish you all the best of luck with getting your little wiggle worms to calm back down.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogelito's Mommy View Post
My nearly 4 month old started doing this a couple of weeks ago also. Then after about two weeks of nonstop squirming, he just stopped and went back to normal (although he is less likely to fall asleep at the boob at every nursing now). I think that maybe he was just starting to take notice of things around him more and it took a couple of weeks for him to adjust to that and be able to focus on eating with all the excitement. That's my only theory...I wish you all the best of luck with getting your little wiggle worms to calm back down.
Good theory, I agree...bc i notice him looking at me or something colorful, like the computer screen. I just laugh, he thinks he's gonna miss something i guess!!!!

Old 04-04-2008, 12:52 AM

Just had to pop in and say my 3.5 mo is doing this too, must be a phase. I can tell she's starting to get more interested in what's going on around her. She's also biting a bit too. When she pops off to look around I put her back on a few times but after that we're done. When she bites I do the face smoosh and take her off for a bit and then we try again. So far all but once she's been fine when I end a session and will eat again in a bit when she get hungry or tired.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:01 AM

My 3.5 month old started doing the same thing a few days ago. She squirms, kicks, punches and pops on and off. If I take her off the breast, she begins to make what I call her "boobie face" really frantically. Back at the breast, it's the same thing all over again. I thought it had something to do with her reflux because sometimes after a few minutes of the squirming, she arches her back and starts crying. I've found that distracting her for a half hour and then offering the breast again works pretty well.

User Tag List