POLL: Do You Feel: depressive feelings/hollow feeling in stomach when breastfeeding? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do you experience depressive Feelings or a hollow feeling in your stomach when breastfeeding?
Yes 69 25.09%
No 206 74.91%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 102 Old 04-14-2008, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood View Post
Oh WOW! I'm so blown away that I'm not just a weirdo.
Here are some of those threads:
http://community.livejournal.com/vag...408.html?nc=29
http://community.livejournal.com/vag...771#t152686771
http://community.livejournal.com/vag...a/8622409.html

Hope those help you feel EVEN less weird!
#62 of 102 Old 04-14-2008, 04:51 PM

Sad nipple syndrome! I have sad nipple syndrome! Haha.
#63 of 102 Old 04-14-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post
I've never heard of this before, and it surprises me that some mamas experience this. What I experience with letdown is exactly the opposite-- I get a cozy, drowsy feeling that feels just like how I feel when I crawl into my bed after a long day.
Me too! Theoretically, even if the entire world were crumbling before my very eyes I wouldn't mind in the least if I was nursing! I feel relaxed beyond belief when I have letdowns. I feel nothing but peace, love, calmness and happiness.
#64 of 102 Old 04-14-2008, 08:08 PM

Interesting...
I actually don't feel anything, don't even feel the let-down
I tend to get depressive/anxious/melancholic/whipy/etc in general, but aparently not while breastfeeding

Sophie, wife to DH, AP mama to DD1 (12/07) and DD2 (04/10)
#65 of 102 Old 04-14-2008, 08:50 PM

I voted "no" because I feel don't feel depressed nor a hollow feeling in my stomach. Emotionally I usually feel cozy, more relaxed, and like the flood gates of all the love I feel for my ds are opened up. But when I started reading responses I saw that I do have one thing in common--I do sometime feeling nauseous. It started when I was pregnant with number 2 (ended in miscarriage at end of 1st trimester). But since then has happened, though less intensely, usually in the days before my period. I haven't read the whole thread yet but wonder if others find any of their symptoms fluctuating with their cycles.

I did have some feelings of depression during my first pregancy and it was very, very tough. My heart goes out to those of you experiencing this.

treehugger.gifMama to DS (3/05 )carrot.gifh20homebirth.gif, wife to DH bikenew.gif, remembering rainbow1284.gifdog2.gifdog2.gif and angel1.gif Spirit 1/07, angel1.gif Hope 5/09, angel1.gif Harmony 6/10, angel1.gif Love 5/11, angel1.gif Joy 6/11

#66 of 102 Old 04-14-2008, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaturMama View Post

I did have some feelings of depression during my first pregancy and it was very, very tough. My heart goes out to those of you experiencing this.
I can only speak for myself but mine is not depression related. I am fine the rest of the time just not during let down. It only lasts about 20 seconds. It is bothersome because it is something I have come to dread but it's not as bad (for me) as PPD. So I guess that's something.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#67 of 102 Old 04-14-2008, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood View Post
I can only speak for myself but mine is not depression related. I am fine the rest of the time just not during let down. It only lasts about 20 seconds. It is bothersome because it is something I have come to dread but it's not as bad (for me) as PPD. So I guess that's something.
Yes that's right D-MER is VERY different then depression. It can FEEL depressing, but it is fleeting like the pp said and then you can be fine, even fabulous, the rest of the time, until another letdown!

It is also different then just plain nausea. That is a documented and research problem and is just the one physical symptom with let down (not fun by any means, but it is just the nausea.) D-MER can make your stomach turn, but it effects mothers emotionally as well.

HTH clear things up!
#68 of 102 Old 04-15-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahdoula View Post
I have been talking to un-named lactation guru today and she was thinking about the cause beiong connected to precipitous birth. I know I had one, but what about you other women with D-MER (depressive milk ejection reflex) Did you guys have long slow or normal labor and births? Or precipitous births? (defined as a labor that lasts less than three hours.)
I haven't read through this most recent thread yet but wanted to add that my dd's birth was average-longinsh----17 hours start to finish and went quite smoothly.

mama to : my spirited star 2/06, my sweet love 5/08, and a little lovey 5/12

#69 of 102 Old 04-15-2008, 04:27 PM

Not at all. I often get a feeling of deep relaxation when the MER kicks in. So I do have a visceral/mental reaction, but it isn't negative.

edit to add:

When I first starting nursing my first child, she was born without a latch at 36 weeks. It took me a month to establish, and she (and all my babies) have had super latch at first. Tear your nipples off. After that was finished, I did have bad feelings during the let down for about a month and a half.

Like I was a nothing but an animal, with holes and leaking parts. It would get worse if my DH would touch me while I was establishing the nursing session.

But it passed. At about 2.5 months, I got my first shot of "relaxation" nursing letdown.
#70 of 102 Old 04-15-2008, 04:32 PM

I've posted in another thread about this, but for the record here, I feel terribly melancholy, aching, homesick and hopeless. I TOTALLY lose my appetite (even if I have an empty stomach and my dh just prepared a huge plate of yummy food---he'd feel so bad if we were about to eat and then dd needed to nurse) which is only regained after the nursing session. The immediate, intense feelings last for maybe 5-10 minutes? With the first few minutes being the worst.

It lasted the first year of nursing and slowly diminished even though we were still nursing up to 15/day until fairly recently. (dd is 26 mos now). btw-- my period returned at 4 months despite 9 MONTHS of exclusive breastfeeding (no pacifier or anything either.)

I have had it like twice (super mildly) when dd nurses recently and I am now 7.5 mos pg.

But what I really want to add is that I used to get this feeling when I was little (like 8-12 yrs?), often during family gatherings when everyone was chatting and I was quiet and I would feel just awful, very homesick and strange. I had it a handful of times later in life in similar situations. In fact, I used to wonder if something awfull had once happened to me at a family gathering that I had totally repressed. (i really don't think so).

As a funny side note: I was in a Catholic grammer school at the time and we were taught that if we were meant to enter the religious life, we would get our "calling". So I thought this strange sensation was Mary 'calling' me to the sisterhood and I was sad because I really didn't want to be a nun.

#71 of 102 Old 04-15-2008, 04:34 PM

OK, sorry for the serial posting but also wanted to add that I've often thought it was based on a nutritional or hormonal imbalance. And after reading The Mood Cure I thought it could be an amino acid imbalance.

I think an important question here is: how many of us have histories of anxiety or depression? I do.

That's all for now, I swear

#72 of 102 Old 04-17-2008, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

A little thread bump never hurts!
#73 of 102 Old 04-20-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday13th View Post
I do feel "hollow" but I associate it with the hollowness I feel when I'm really thirsty...which of course makes no sense to anyone but me but it's the only way to describe it.
Actually, that does make sense to me!

I was wondering - I haven't read everything on this but I'm gonna - I don't feel like I have D-MER... but how does this relate to nursing aversion during pregnancy? Because all those symptoms were EXACTLY the hell of nursing when pregnant, and I did end up with PPD when tandem nursing. I thought they were unrelated, and actually I felt that TNing was keeping me sane, since "at least I'm doing this right!" when I was incompetent and failing at everything else. In my PPD mind, that is. But it's just weird to see that list that so exactly describes the nursing aversion that comes with nursing pregnant and tandem nursing. Could be related to a prolactin issue, in D-MER mamas, perhaps?

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#74 of 102 Old 04-20-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn lisa View Post
I think an important question here is: how many of us have histories of anxiety or depression?
I do but I DON'T feel anything negative when breastfeeding. But I'm on meds too and feeling fine otherwise (well, except the occasional crying spell...).
#75 of 102 Old 04-20-2008, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn lisa View Post
OK, sorry for the serial posting but also wanted to add that I've often thought it was based on a nutritional or hormonal imbalance. And after reading The Mood Cure I thought it could be an amino acid imbalance.

I think an important question here is: how many of us have histories of anxiety or depression? I do.

That's all for now, I swear
Keep it coming Lisa! Your input is GREAT! The LCs involved are (right now) looking at subclinical (meaning a GP would think it was so mild he wouldn't mention it to you after getting tested) thyroid dysfunction (on the hyper activity side) or Oxytocin/Vasopressin malfunction.

Based on the questionnaires, LOTS of the mamas don't have history of depression/anxiety or sexual abuse but of course some do. There are enough that don't (in the majority) that it rules it out as a cause.

All the LCs and MDs working on this agree that it is a physiological problem, NOT a psychological. Good news really becuase it's not anyone's "fault" and makes it easier to fix!
#76 of 102 Old 04-20-2008, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinsky View Post
Actually, that does make sense to me!

I was wondering - I haven't read everything on this but I'm gonna - I don't feel like I have D-MER... but how does this relate to nursing aversion during pregnancy? Because all those symptoms were EXACTLY the hell of nursing when pregnant, and I did end up with PPD when tandem nursing. I thought they were unrelated, and actually I felt that TNing was keeping me sane, since "at least I'm doing this right!" when I was incompetent and failing at everything else. In my PPD mind, that is. But it's just weird to see that list that so exactly describes the nursing aversion that comes with nursing pregnant and tandem nursing. Could be related to a prolactin issue, in D-MER mamas, perhaps?
Well if it is hormone related then having it come up with nursing when pregnant makes sense. I have had some mamas tell me they DO feel they have D-MER, but didn't have it until they got pregnant, signaling SOME change in the pituitary (Oxytocin, Vasopressin, Thyroid) And some who feel it got worse when there menses returned, another hormone shift.

All the thoughts coming out are great!! Thanks mama!

If anyone missed the questionnaire it's on the D-MER website, www.D-MER.org
It's for mamas with D-MER.
#77 of 102 Old 04-24-2008, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Page 4 bump!
#78 of 102 Old 05-12-2008, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Another little bump for good measure!
#79 of 102 Old 05-12-2008, 07:15 PM

Very interesting stuff. Never heard of it before. My heart goes out to you that deal with it. :
#80 of 102 Old 05-14-2008, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone with D-MER take blue or black cohosh during their pregnancy? Might have increased the amount of oxytocin receptors but we need to hear from other D-MER mothers to know where to go from here....
#81 of 102 Old 05-26-2008, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a D-MER awarness peice on YouTube if anyone is intresting in viewing it!
#82 of 102 Old 05-26-2008, 05:47 PM

Huh. And I thought it was only me...
#83 of 102 Old 05-26-2008, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

There was a mama somewhere that post about D-MER prehaps being thier own bodies version of "normal." I found someone else who feels this way and I was working that angle for a FAQ section of the new webstie...but now I can't find the quote from the mama? Are you out there....? Where did I read that?
#84 of 102 Old 05-26-2008, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2abigail View Post
Huh. And I thought it was only me...
I love it when I find a new mama who thought they were alone! Hugs! You're not! I'd love to hear about your experience with it...
#85 of 102 Old 06-13-2008, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Bumping fore new mamas!
#86 of 102 Old 06-20-2008, 04:18 PM

Oh my goodness! I am practically crying. I never liked breastfeeding, and never really considered why. I don't feel depressed, but more like "ugh". My son is now 11 months & he hardly nurses anymore. He never seemed to love it either. (I probably didn't make it enjoyable.) I had envisioned myself nursing longer, but I'm trying to be happy that I made it as long as I did. I don't know if having support from like-minded people would have helped me nurse longer, but it would have been nice to know that it can happen. It just seems so silly that breastfeeding is so hard- I mean where is the survival instinct in that?!
#87 of 102 Old 06-20-2008, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbymom View Post
Oh my goodness! I am practically crying. I never liked breastfeeding, and never really considered why. I don't feel depressed, but more like "ugh". My son is now 11 months & he hardly nurses anymore. He never seemed to love it either. (I probably didn't make it enjoyable.) I had envisioned myself nursing longer, but I'm trying to be happy that I made it as long as I did. I don't know if having support from like-minded people would have helped me nurse longer, but it would have been nice to know that it can happen. It just seems so silly that breastfeeding is so hard- I mean where is the survival instinct in that?!
I hope you visited the new website!! www.d-mer.org
#88 of 102 Old 06-28-2008, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

There is a new facebook group:

500 or more with D-MER

that has JUST been started. The purpose is to show the very high number of women being affected.

Please join!
#89 of 102 Old 07-07-2008, 10:57 AM

Wow, I absolutely have this! The hollow, dreadful feelings associated with my nipples started pretty much as soon as I was pregnant, and now that I'm breastfeeding and pumping it's even worse. I wish it lasted a few seconds, though, I feel it all the time I pump for, unless I can get distracted enough. I've been calling it physical nausea + emotional nausea; it feels as if there's this ball of negative feelings that I just can't "throw up".
#90 of 102 Old 07-07-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post
I've never heard of this before, and it surprises me that some mamas experience this. What I experience with letdown is exactly the opposite-- I get a cozy, drowsy feeling that feels just like how I feel when I crawl into my bed after a long day.

I get very relaxed and feel very loving towards anyone in the vicinity. All feelings of anger or sadness diminish. I guess I assumed everyone felt like this ... scary.

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page