Help? Babe was born 5 days ago, my milk still isn't in. - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

#151 of 178 Old 10-10-2003, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I hear you Twinmommy and totally understand

Like I said, the only reason I care about how much an average child of my ds's size eats is to reassure myself that I'm making some milk for him. It will be far easier to continue this battle thinking 'I know he's getting at least a little from me' you know? When my pumping yields so little, its frustrating. I keep telling myself that what I can pump has nothing to do with how much I'm producing, but its still hard to see those few drops and thats it you know? So thinking "I'm *probably* making 1/3-1/2 of his food" really REALLY helps.

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 of 178 Old 10-10-2003, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Lisa_Lynn

First, let me re-iterate from previous posts. You are AWESOME! Orion is blessed to have you as his Mama.

I was curious as to what type of breast-pump you are using? Surprisingly, I could never get as much milk with my electric pump (hospital grade no less)as I could get with me manual one. Some women are the opposite...hell, MOST women are the opposite .

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#153 of 178 Old 11-01-2003, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to revisit this thread to give all the wonderful MDC mama's here a happy update! As you can all see on my signature I've been able to drop my supplementing from 12 to 8 ounces a day. And all of Halloween I have not given ds a DROP of formula (or expressed/donated milk). Not ONE *drop*.

I noticed that ds was fussy and seemed hungry alllll evening long, and that was when he was getting supplemented. Reading about how babies nurse a lot in the evening because of the lower prolactin levels made me go "hmmmm". So I decided I wouldn't supplement unless I couldn't hand express a drop or two first. I figured if I could squeeze out a drop or two ds hadn't "milked me dry" and I wanted him to have every single drop of breastmilk before I had to supplement for him.

Tonight I could keep squeezing out a drop or two (and an occasional little 'squirt') all evening. Even though he has been nursing so much my nipples are tender. He's sitting next to me now, not exactly looking 100% content, but not the screaming, mad, obviously hungry little guy he was at 3 days old.

I'm not sure if I can say he will never get supplemented now (esp since his last supplementing was pretty late on the 30th), I don't want to set myself up for disappointment, but I'm really thinking that we ARE going to get to exclusivley breastfeeding!

I think what has really really helped was stopping to supplement at bedtime. I just said 'screw it' to the SNS (which really bummed me out, made me feel like I wasn't feeding him at all) and I just nurse him sidelaying all night long. He wakes up a LOT to eat. But its ok, I get more sleep now. I can fall back to sleep after I latch him on. We stay in bed about 12 hours total. I get enough sleep (I feel like *me* again, not the horribly sleep deprived monster I was), and he is REALLY stimulating me by nursing so much.

So I just had to come in and do a great big happy dance!!

:LOL

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#154 of 178 Old 11-01-2003, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Oh one more thing... for a 6 week old (almost 7 weeks) am I still looking out of the same amount of wet dipes (6-8)? I want to make sure my desire to EBF doesn't get in the way of getting enough nutrition into Orion... His amount of wet dipes, or *how* wet they drops the less he gets supplemented, but I figure as long as he's still having enough wet dipes its ok...

#155 of 178 Old 11-01-2003, 07:14 AM

Congratulations Lisa and Orion. Your hard work is paying off.
#156 of 178 Old 11-01-2003, 08:58 AM

Yeah!
#157 of 178 Old 11-01-2003, 10:00 AM

(this is when we need boob smilies)

I just read this riveting thread from beginning to end, I'd never seen it before. The little things I have to add:

*Lisa, Orion is lovely. Ii love his little sensuous movie star mouth

*You are one awesome mama, being so dedicated and dealing with so much hardship ~ from all the pre-birth inlaw shit to the birth and now this. If one believes in children choosing their parents, Orion must have made sure to pick himself the very best

*veganmamma may I please marry you if you are ever available? I will play governator and mow the whole line ahead of me down in one fell swoop just to get to you first. Got zee accent too. Or will you please post some very unattractive stuff about yourself, so I can start believing that you're for real?

*I have a measly cup A that has over the years grown to cup B/C depending on preg and nurse status. One of my boobs has an inverted niipple, and both my babes reject it. That means that I nurse a 4 yo and a 3 mo on one pretty modest boob. They both thrive and always have. Moral: even if you don't see it come out, and even if you can't really feel it in there (I do get engorged, but only if nobody nurses for 4 hours and that never really happens), it somehow does make its way to baby.

*If Orion drinks and generally seems content with it (and you are a pro now at interpreting that) it doesn't really matter how many diapers you get. I mean, what is a wet diaper? I CD in fitteds and cpf's, so I get 10 a day, but that would only equal like 4 sposies kwim?

*btw what does the lower prolactin thing mean? That there's less milk? Willem nurses all nite too, and sometimes it drives me nuts. Is there a psychological effect of that, too? Like, does prolactin affect mood? tia
#158 of 178 Old 11-01-2003, 04:08 PM

Oh Lisa! I knew you could do it!! I had a feeling when you just made up your mind to stop supplementing it would happen for you. You knew the right time. I am so happy for you. You are an awesome mamma! I can't wait to give you a big hug!

Simone- you know I"m not married, so whenever you leave your dh, we can have a nice little ceremony.

L
#159 of 178 Old 11-01-2003, 09:54 PM

Yippee! WTG! I'm so happy that you're seeing the fruit of all your labor... you've put so much effort into breastfeeding and I'm just so in awe.

PS- as for wet/poopy diapers: http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/bm.html , this may be helpful!
#160 of 178 Old 11-08-2003, 10:57 AM

Lisa, this is the best news I've heard in a long time!!! I'm so happy for you that all your hard work is paying off! Keep up the good work mamma
#161 of 178 Old 11-25-2003, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter

NAK

I figured I'd do another update

Since the 7th of November Orion has had ONE bottle (4 ounces of Mama2bababoo's milkies) when I had to leave ds for 4 hours with my MIL while I got a root canal done...

So it's party time!

YEAH!!!!!!!!

I just wanted to let everyone who has been so wonderful with support, advice, websites, and even milkies (Veganmamma and Mama2bababoo you're wonderful! ) know the good news!

I still need to get him in to be weighed to make sure he's gaining ok, but all other signs are he's doing fine He is a little nurseaholic! Nurses alllllllllllllllllllllllll the time

#162 of 178 Old 11-25-2003, 03:28 AM

All I can say is

You rock! I knew you could do it!!
L
#163 of 178 Old 11-25-2003, 10:27 AM

WOOHOO!
#164 of 178 Old 11-25-2003, 01:11 PM

Great to hear!! Well worth the troubles, I'm sure you'd agree.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#165 of 178 Old 11-25-2003, 01:13 PM

I am in awe of you!!!
#166 of 178 Old 11-25-2003, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Aw thanks Yes SO worth the trouble! I had moments during all of this that I doubted that, but trusted everyone who told me it would be worth it, and yes it most certainly is! From knowing I'm feeding my son the best, to the time he actually looks at *ME* while he nurses, to being able to get far more sleep at night than if I had to prepare bottles, its so worth it! Now if my Dh would just stop asking me "are you sure he's getting enough??" because he nurses SO much (especially at night)

#167 of 178 Old 11-26-2003, 01:36 AM

That's GREAT news! Congrats!
#168 of 178 Old 11-26-2003, 04:49 AM

Wonderful news! What an inspiring story.
#169 of 178 Old 11-30-2003, 06:18 AM

Hey Lisa! WooooooooHoooooooo!!!!!! I knew you could do it!! I would have posted earlier, but have been nursing ds back to health from recent surgery. I'm totally excited for you and your little man!

J
#170 of 178 Old 12-04-2003, 04:23 AM

Wow. What an awesome thread.
I'm exhausted from reading it.

But boy do I love a happy ending ...

Thank you so much for sharing this, Lisa Lynn ... and congratulations on your beautiful boy ...

#171 of 178 Old 12-04-2003, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you Amy! It is certainly a book isn't it? :LOL I'm very glad things are working out too! Gotta get ds weighed to relieve those bits of worries I still have... but we are doing great!

#172 of 178 Old 12-04-2003, 07:09 PM

Way to go Lisa!! He's a lucky boy!
#173 of 178 Old 12-04-2003, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you AnnMarie! And I'm a lucky Mama! I never would have guessed how darn EASY breastfeeding is now from those first 6 weeks or so! Time consuming still (ds is a constant nurser at night) but so much easier than breaking out a bottle. I just wish Dh didn't feel so left out... he's never home when ds is agreeable without having to be on the breast 24/7. I just keep reminding myself, and Dh, that this time is short, and that Dh can help out when we get to solids (not until at LEAST 6 months, maybe later if he doesn't have the "signs", and no solids unless he's got a full tum of breastmilk first!).

It was very sweet last night Dh went to bed when ds was happy... and about 5 minutes after Dh went to bed he called me in "can you bring in Orion, I miss him..." It was too sweet! So I brought him in and we all hung out until Daddy was passed out.

#174 of 178 Old 12-06-2003, 04:30 AM

You and little Orion and your dh rock!!!!

What a happy nursing family!! I remember feeling like my hubby was sorta left out too for a while there, but baby grows sooooo quick and then they are wrestlin in the bed together, just like a DH and ds/dd should!

I loved your story and hope I have time to print it out someday...

I hope that all new mommas can be a strong momma bear like you and have the courage to persevere, even in the face of the MD world!

With good friends, correct advice and lots of love!

Ode to the strong women of the world!!!
#175 of 178 Old 12-06-2003, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter

Aw thank you Sarah! I'm so glad I perserved. I just used my stubborness to get through it (kinda the same thing I did when I quit smoking over 3 years ago).... Everytime I thought about quitting I'd think about how I'd feel later on.... that really gave me the strength to continue. I would have felt HORRIBLE if I would have quit without a huge struggle!

#176 of 178 Old 12-07-2003, 08:14 PM

Hi Lisa--
I just wanted to add my congrats as well to you!!! I had a similar story although not as severe...planned natural birth ending in many drugs and a c-section, milk not coming in for a while, etc., and it's great to hear of another mama who persevered.

Many pats on the back to you and your cute baby! I saw your pic on breastfeeding.com.

Peace.
#177 of 178 Old 12-07-2003, 11:09 PM

Hi Lisa,

Just wanted to add my 'CONGRATS' to the pile .I have nothing but respect and admiration for you!

I was telling your story to a friend of mine the other day. Now granted, this friend is *quite* young (mean both in years and in attitude) and has no children, but her response was "Why doesn't she just give him formula? I was raised on formula and I'm just fine." I wanted to SMACK her...I didn't, BUT I WANTED TOO! My feeble response, thru gritted teeth, was that you wanted what was best for your babe, as I do, and as breastfeeding is the absolute BEST, you were willing to to make some short term sacrifices. WEll, more than short term, but relatively speaking.

I HATE this attitude, just HATE it! I didn't go thru anything near what you went thru, but BF'ing didn't come easy to ds and I and we struggled for a few weeks to get the hang of it and so this offends me personally. Do you ever get this? How do you deal with it? It made me feel like she was negating your whole struggle and mine too (altho as I said, didn't experience anything like you).

P.s. That's one little charmer you have there!

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#178 of 178 Old 12-08-2003, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Hehe Beth you're right I am up on breastfeeding.com! Or at least my boob is! :LOL

Pumpkinhead I've never had anyone flat out ask me why I didn't just use formula, most people around me know I was planning on breastfeeding very strongly, so I suppose they didn't think to ask if they felt formula was "fine".

I did have my best friend, when I called and was whining to her on the phone say "Why don't you just give him a bottle then?" : She didn't mean to be rude, her son is just a few months older than mine, and she started supplementing him very early (within the first month) because he would want to nurse 24/7 and just figured he was "too hungry" and when her nipples wanted to fall off from him being on the breast forever (she never saw a LC to see if his latch was ok or anything... ), and assumed the same with me. Regardless of me explaining when she was going through this about growth spurts and comfort nursing and such. Her son weaned at 4 months old because she wasn't comfortable nursing in public so she gave bottles and while her mom was in the hospital from surgery gave so many bottles that her ds refused to nurse afterwards.

Anyways it pissed me off that she said that to me, when I was just looking for a supportive and kind ear.... but all I told her was something about how dedicated I was to breastfeeding and that I WAS going to breastfeed him regardless and that it would feel like a personal failure to me if I didn't.

No one else has cared to say anything, but if they did I've got a handy dandy "why breastfeeding is grand" paper I put together from lots of sources, and if it was someone I saw regularly I'd give it to them next time I saw them. I'm horrible at good comebacks in the middle of things though...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page