Breastfeeding Family History - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How long did you mother breastfeed you?
She didn't. 77 23.91%
She tried. 26 8.07%
About 6 weeks 26 8.07%
6 weeks to 3 months 17 5.28%
3 months to 6 months 30 9.32%
6 months to 1 year 77 23.91%
1 to 2 years 49 15.22%
2 to 3 years 15 4.66%
3 to 4 years 5 1.55%
5 years of more 0 0%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-21-2008, 12:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mom tried really hard with me but ended up quitting after I started losing weight rapidly. She had no idea how to get help or where to get it from then. I don't think I ever latched right because my mom will look at Lacy BFing and say "You never latched on like that". I think I just got the end. OUCHIE! I give her credit for hanging with it as long as she did which wasn't that long. She caught a lot of flak for waiting so long to put me on formula since I was losing weight and crying all the time.

DH was born in 71 and given up for adoption so he wasn't breastfed at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2008, 01:07 AM

My mother BF me for 10 mths. She brags that she had us weaned to the cup and on cow's milk by that time. My DH was never BF. She thought it was "gross" and I was the first person she could bring herself to look at while I was actually nursing:.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:57 AM

My mother didn't breastfeed me. I was a twin. My mother had a c-section. She knew she would go back to work a couple of weeks after she had given birth, so she didn't fight to get her milk to come in.

Even though she did have a c-section the second time around, she breastfed my little brother for a couple of weeks, but quit once she returned to work a couple of weeks later.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:08 AM

My mom never breastfed. She said she tried to breastfeed my sister, and claims that my sister bit her on day 3, so she said "never again." My brother was never breastfed.

DH was breastfed for 6 months, and his mother stopped bc her MIL told her that breastfeeding for more than 6 months would "spoil a baby." (This same woman, my MIL's MIL, DH's Paternal Grandmother was floored when she heard that my DS was still nursing after 17 months).

Anywho, I find humor in hearing the stories from my mom and her 3 day old bitting babies, and DH's family with the spoiled babies due to breastfeeding. I have to laugh, it keeps me from thinking that they are completely crazy.

Mom to 7-year old DS1 carrot.gif, 2 year old DD joy.gifand DS2 surf.gif

Old 04-21-2008, 06:40 AM

I was not breast-fed. The reason my mom has given me was because my father felt that her breasts were "his toys" and not for me. I feel no resentment towards my mom for this as knowing my father the way I do, I can understand why she gave in to his demand. I DO resent my father tho.

My sister was BFed for 6 weeks. I'm very proud of my mom for that cause she told me that she had a lot of trouble with it and felt like she was starving sis. Altho looking at pics of sis at 4-6wks, she most definately was NOT starving

DH was BFed for a little while but MIL says that her milk "was not good enough" for him.

Allyson ~ wife to C (1/20/07), mummy to E (1/13/08) , S (7/12/2010)
We're A C E S
Old 04-21-2008, 12:26 PM

I was breastfed for awhile, I think at least 3 mos. maybe a bit longer. my Mom said at the time the dr. said something about it not being enough or some crap like that, so she stopped. My sister was breastfed for about 18 mos.(she is 3 years younger then me). One cool thing I've discovered from talking about nursing over the years is everyone in my family was breastfed! My parents, their siblings, my cousins, aunts, etc. I'm not sure how long but at least they got some of the good stuff for a period of time! DH was also breastfed and ditto for his brother!

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
Old 04-21-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusmomma View Post
I was breastfed for awhile, I think at least 3 mos. maybe a bit longer. my Mom said at the time the dr. said something about it not being enough or some crap like that, so she stopped.
I hear this so often and I just don't get it. If it's not enough, why would you stop? Wouldn't you just supplement a little?
Old 04-21-2008, 12:52 PM

it was the 70's, i got 6 weeks.
i nursed DS for 14 months.

louloubean in love with bryan, mom of boo squeak and nor nor: and 7 chickens
Old 04-24-2008, 02:10 AM

My mom nursed me for 3 years (born in 1978). Apparently I used to ask when we would stop BFing, and she told me "probably when you're around three." So being Little Miss Type-A, on my third birthday I announced that I wouldn't be nursing anymore, and that was it.

She nursed my brother for 3.5 years (born in 1985). She told me she felt a lot of pressure to use formula with him, but she couldn't bring herself to do it. She herself wasn't breastfed because she was adopted.

DH wasn't breastfed because he was 2 months premature, and apparently his mother wasn't given the option. She nursed his brother "until his teeth came in."

wife to DH since 10/03, mama to DS (12/07)
also mom to small zoo: 3 snakes, 4 and one very lovable pit bull
Old 04-24-2008, 05:40 PM

I was born overseas, so I was BFed - the local women thought my parents were insane to even consider any other option unless Mom died during delivery.

We moved back to the States when I was six months old.

The American doctor was horrified that my mother was still BFing at six months and essentially shamed her into quitting.

My husband is four years older, and his mother's doctor told her it was much more scientific and accurate to FF.

However, after a few weeks of trying to hand me a blanket to cover up, my MIL realized she couldn't see anything while I was nursing, and is very supportive. She says she hopes I won't go past a year, though. Not sure where she got that, though.

Mama to EG, Mate to MD, Writer, Editor, International Jewel Thief.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:08 PM

Old 04-24-2008, 06:55 PM

My mom breastfed me and my 2 sisters until we weaned ourselves...about 1.5-2 years. She said one day I was just done and wouldn't take it anymore. Sounds like me...just making crazy decisions out of the blue. She cloth diapered and co-slept too. We are very breastfeeding friendly. I am glad my mom raised us the way she did, because my grandmother (as sweet as she is) did things very differently than my mom. My mom was raised from day one on Carnation canned milk. Yuck!!!! However, my mom is the healthiest person I know.

caffix.gif

User Tag List