Frozen milk looks "chalky" and long term storage - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 04-22-2008, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have several bags of milk I am bringing out of storage due to the age of the milk. They look kinda chalky is it alright to use? Also what is the best method for long term storage (beyond 3 or 4 months)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 04-22-2008, 10:10 PM

All my frozen and refrigerated milk looks chalky even if it's only been there for a few days. Your question about length of time in a freezer is dependent on where you are storing it in the freezer and what kind of freezer you have. If it's a side-by-side freezer the temps aren't as cool as a top or bottom compartment. If you really want to know, you should put a thermometer in your freezer on the shelf and depth where you place your milk. There are guides online which tell you the length of time for the temperature you are storing it at. The colder the temperature, the longer you can store it. Freezer temps vary but you should be able to control it somewhat using the built in thermostat. Lansinoh storage bags suggest that frozen milk can be stored between 3 and 6 months depending on the temp.

Also, it's not that the milk "goes bad" it's that the nutritional value goes down considerably with time in refrigeration. So, at least you know you won't be giving your babes food poisoning if they get some milk that's a little overdue. But you wouldn't want to feed them exclusively from milk that's been in there too long or they may not be getting all their nutritional needs met.
#3 of 3 Old 04-22-2008, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

This is milk I did not scald, my daughter wont drink it even in a sippy or in cereal. It will go to the cat. So no worry about food poisoning....However niece will get the new stuff.

Has anyone ever used the the ziploc freezer bags in the pint size for freezing breast milk?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page