BFing and Pumping - Best Type of Bottles - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 05-05-2008, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am due in July and already planning ahead. I intend to breastfeed but will have to return to work after my 12 week maternity leave. I want to continue to breastfeed while home and pump at work. What kind of bottle is best to help the baby transition between the two with few issues? The bottle aisle at the store completely overwhelms me! :

Are there only certain bottles that are compatible with certain pumps? I haven't bought a pump yet either so it that is the case I may need to wait until I decide on a pump.

Thanks for the help!!

Rachel - Married to my Best friend & Mama to Quinn Patrick 7/18/08 - Mama to : Clover too
#2 of 14 Old 05-05-2008, 05:03 PM

Someone linked this in a discussion awhile back and I've bookmarked it for future use.

http://www.adiri.com/
The Adiri Natural Nurser bottle - it's shaped more like a breast, so the latch is more similar to nursing at the breast. Looks/sounds pretty neat.

As far as compatibility with pumps, I think whatever brand name of pump you buy will be compatible with that same brand name of bottle - and possibly another if there's multiple brand names owned by the same company - i.e. Medela bought Avent (?).

dog2.gifcrochetsmilie.gif Lovin' my sweetheart, pregnant with #1 (EDD Feb.2013) stork-suprise.gif

#3 of 14 Old 05-05-2008, 05:14 PM

You may end up just buying the nipples your baby will take!

With my DD, I literally tried 12 different types of nipples from every brand and the Gerber NUK was the only type she'd take. Every manufacturer out there claims their nipples are "closest to the breast" but logic dictates that can't possibly be true

Now, many babies are prefectly fine with whatever nipple you start out with. Like I said, though, my DD wasn't one of those. Those orthodontic nipples (like the NUK and Playtex ortho), supposedly, are more like the breast because they aren't round, but rather squished and are shaped like a breast is when it baby's mouth. I don't know. . .but it's all my DD took. So all we could do is buy bottles that worked with those nipples.

Not all bottles work with all pumps. The Medela pumps all work with standard, narrow-necked bottles. If you're going to be using glass bottles, it'll work with the Evenflos. Any narrow-necked nipple will work with any standard narrow-necked bottle, so feel free to mix and match! In other words, find the nipple your LO prefers, then get whatever bottles you want that fits it. Doesn't have to be the same brand or anything.

Avents aren't a standard size and don't fit the Medela pumps directly, though there is an adapter you can purchase. Dr. Brown wide mouths don't fit anything else either, I don't think.

However, I will say that after a year of pumping for my DD, I really didn't find it that important as to whether the bottles fit on the pump or not. I just bought a few more narrow-necked bottles to pump in to, then transferred that milk into the bottles my DD would drink out of.

Mama to Boy (2) and Girl (5)
#4 of 14 Old 05-05-2008, 06:33 PM

I have the Ameda Purely Yours Pump and use Evenflo glass bottles with Gerber Nuk silicone nipples. DD is 6 mos. Nuk was the only nipple we tried, since it worked w/ the glass bottles and I has heard good things from other nursing mamas about them. Since DD took the nuk nipples I didn't branch out to try others.

Ditto what the pp said about pumping and pouring into other containers. The original idea was to pump into the glass bottles and freeze directly, but I have such a large stash I have branched out to glass mason jars and Lansinoh plastic milk storage bags to hold the excess beyond the 12 bottles I own.

Also, i have (3) 8 oz bottles in addition to 12 or so 4oz bottles, which is helpful for the first pumping of the morning which tends to be a larger volume.
#5 of 14 Old 05-05-2008, 09:10 PM

take it from a mommy who has/is bfing and pumping for 3 kids....don't buy more than one bottle and take it as it comes. my kids all ended up taking different types of bottles. ds1 barely took one at all.....he's a bottle-hater. i probably bought every bottle on the market at some point w/my kids
#6 of 14 Old 05-05-2008, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The best bottle to get is the one your baby is willing to drink out of!

I personally wouldn't buy the "breastbottle" unless your baby rejects traditional bottles, as it's a very expensive bottle- for the same money as 2 breastbottles you could have a whole bunch of "regular" bottles, which makes bottle washing and preparing a little simpler (you forgot to wash bottles one night? It's ok, you have enough clean ones for the next workday anyway.)

My son used the nuk nipples (and apparently I did as well)- these fit onto "standard" bottles which are available in glass or plastic- so if you want to use glass and avoid the "safe plastic" question, you have that option. Then if you want to switch to plastic at a later point for some reason, you won't have to switch the nipples around and risk confusing the baby.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#7 of 14 Old 05-05-2008, 10:58 PM

We use Avent bottles and pump and they work well for us, but like the others said, you may have to experiment a bit, so buy just a few of the ones you think you will use, then get more once you've discovered how well they work. I would encourage you to use a bottle designed for breastfed babies, though.
#8 of 14 Old 05-05-2008, 11:44 PM

i have an ameda purely yours and it uses the standard bottles--i use the ameda ones that came with it, gerber, evenflo, medela, generic, etc. when my oldest took a bottle, he loved the latex evenflo slow flow nipples and hated silicone. my 3 month is the total opposite--loves silicone, hates latex. good thing i had saved some of the silicone nipples since my oldest didn't like them. i have about 48 or so 4 oz bottles plus some 8 oz ones that i use at work--i am a major producer this time around, getting anywhere from 24-36 oz between 3 pump sessions.

Michelle , wife to Ray, mama to Anthony(12/20/05), Bryant(01/08), Carisma (08/21/10) , step ma to Amber(12/13/94), : :
#9 of 14 Old 05-06-2008, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of this advice. I feel like I know so little about this so I have a huge learning curve ahead. I am determined to breastfeed for as long as possible while working full-time so I better get it figured out.

Rachel - Married to my Best friend & Mama to Quinn Patrick 7/18/08 - Mama to : Clover too
#10 of 14 Old 05-06-2008, 01:28 PM

Hi!

I returned to work after 16 weeks of maternity leave and we used the breastflow bottles. I wouldn't recommend them now since of the BPA warning. We are currently using the medela bottles that match the PIS pump but I don't think we would have used them early on since the nipple is so narrow. I would be afraid to use them with young babies since it doesn't really reinforce nursing habits. I don't think all bottles are created equally so I would try to find a BPA free one that mimics a breast. I think the Adiri bottles come highly recommended or the born free bottles.

Ph.D. Mama to Anaiah born 10/06/07 and Mathias born 11/14/09 and Wife to my cocoa puff DH.
My Cup Runs Over Daily!

www.becomingamommy.com

#11 of 14 Old 05-06-2008, 03:53 PM

I'm a postpartum doula and LC so i have lots of clients who have to go back to work.

What a lot of mothers are not told is that the most important thing to know about preparing to go back to work and pumping is that the transition will be easier for your baby if you start routinely giving one bottle every day starting when the baby is three weeks.

A baby who is imprinted with breastfeeding needs to acquire the skill to use a bottle (that is why older breastfed babies don't take bottles they never learned how to suck from a bottle). Bottle sucking is completely different mechanics of how to use the tongue and mouth and control of flow.

The trick is the once a day so the baby does not forget how to use a bottle.

I like any wide based nipple with a very slow flow, that is the easiest for a three week old to transition back and forth from bottle and breast.
The Avent or the Natura Latch by Playtex it is the slowest.

I have not figured out yet which nipples and bolltes are the slowest flow and also BPA free?
#12 of 14 Old 05-07-2008, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewi View Post
I have not figured out yet which nipples and bolltes are the slowest flow and also BPA free?
I am assuming using drop-ins eliminates the need to worry so much about BPA....am I right??

#13 of 14 Old 05-08-2008, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine4004 View Post
I am assuming using drop-ins eliminates the need to worry so much about BPA....am I right??
Yes, so they say.

We ended up using the Playtex Nursers with the Drop-Ins because the Playtex ortho was the only nipple that worked. The downside to the Drop-Ins, of course, is the unnecessary waste (and expense!). At least with us it was only 3 bottles a day, so not nearly as much as someone bottle-feeding full-time. But still. . .

Mama to Boy (2) and Girl (5)
#14 of 14 Old 05-08-2008, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiamond View Post
The downside to the Drop-Ins, of course, is the unnecessary waste (and expense!). At least with us it was only 3 bottles a day, so not nearly as much as someone bottle-feeding full-time. But still. . .
I will only be relying on bottles to cover the times when I am at work. I plan to breastfeed as often as I am able. But I can definitely see how this could get expensive.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page