11 YR old BF - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-09-2003, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kirsten, I 'm just curious at what age you would begin to call the police or CPS. You say that it's not 3,4 or 5, but you would call for an 11y/o BFing. At what age [i]would[/] you being to think SN warranted a call to the authorities?
Lauren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2003, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This may be kind of far-fetched, but please remember, when making comments about how that is child abuse and that is a bad parent, that some moms on this board may be nursing children of that age. Maybe not, but it's certainly a possibility. I know there are moms here nursing children as old as 7 or 8. They don't deserve to be ridiculed.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:07 PM

Of course no one deserves to be ridiculed, but I don't think stating my opinion about the topic at hand (I made a "bad parenting" statement, as did others) constitutes ridicule. Someone else made some comments about feeding junk food and other common practices being "abuse". I think most of this debate has been very civilized and reasoned. (I'm impressed with *all* of us! ) If someone here is bf an 11 year old and is offended by this debate, she is free not to read it, but debate of that topic *is* the subject of this thread.

Stephanie mom to Brianna (6/00) , Alexander (6/02) , and Ethan (9/07) .
Old 10-09-2003, 11:03 PM

Well, having caught up on this thread....I can feel my mental gears shifting just that little bit more.

Thank-you Devrock.

Count me in as one mom who has breastfed her then 3 year old in public. Now she's almost 4.5 and doesn't ask when we're out, her personal progression.

"What will you do once you know?"
Old 10-09-2003, 11:54 PM

You know, I am LOL at the statement that I keep reading here over and over and over again - that there is "absolutely no evidence that any sort of abuse is going on." Um, there is absolutely no evidence that there isn't, either! Like a few have mentioned already, this is probably a hypothetical debate to begin with. So to assume that one would have evidence EITHER WAY is pretty funny.

I'm just stating that due to the LACK of evidence either way, there is probably something "wrong" with the mother or child. You go on and on about how it is SOCIETY that needs to change, not the mother and child... but society will NOT magically change in the next year or so. So this child *is* going to be drastically affected by our twisted society, whether we agree with this society or not! I'm not saying that mom and child are only doing this to prove a point to society... just that it is naive to think that our twisted society will not affect this child. I would never put my *own* child through that.

I do think that if we looked deeply into this family, we would probably find that there are emotional issues that cause the child to need to "nub" in the first place. If there are not emotional issues there now, there most likely will be issues later. I really agree that society's views of breasts and female sexuality is totally skewed, and it is the 11 year old that is going to pay for it in the long run because I can guarantee that this society will not magically transform itself overnight.:
Old 10-10-2003, 01:21 AM

It would be interesting to ask adults who were bfed this long as kids to tell us what it was like for them and if they regretted it, or if they suffered because of it. I know there are moms here who remember being nursed, and they speak positively about it.

People also claim that homeschooling will cause psychological harm, as will cosleeping, yet most kids who grow up this way report positive feelings about it.
Old 10-10-2003, 03:51 AM

I just wanted to ask a question. I bf my dd, she was not intrested in nursing after age 13mos. I never denied access, or did anything to premote her to stop, she just did. We still cuddled, and had a wonderful relationship. My ds, is now 20mos, and doesn't show any signs of stopping, which is fine. Well, here is my question, will all the parents that support ebf be dissappointed if there infant/toddler/preschooler self wean before the mother thinks they should?
Old 10-10-2003, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mutherluv
IWell, here is my question, will all the parents that support ebf be dissappointed if there infant/toddler/preschooler self wean before the mother thinks they should?
I will be very disappointed if my son weans before he's 2 years old. I want for him to nurse for at least 2 years, and as long thereafter as he wants. If he stops before that time, I'm willing to pump my milk and give it to him in a sippy cup. I'd also keep offering the breast for a while, in case it turned out to be a nursing strike.
My mom says that I stopped nursing at about a year old. My brother went on to nurse for 2.5 years. My brother has no allergies, and I have TONS of environmental allergies. I hope my son doesn't have the same fate as I.

-Debi

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:52 AM

Oh, and BTW, Devrock, I have enormous respect for your opinion and your ability to debate a topic such as this one. Even if I don't agree 100%, I can still see where you are coming from and I can see your side of the story.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:25 PM

Mod Note

This thread is being closed at the request of the OP. We both feel that it has done very well for 8 pages but that all the good that is able to come out of it already has.

~Stephanie~

User Tag List