Brewer's Yeast - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-03-2008, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay peeps... I'm feeling just a little insecure about my supply. It's probably fine, but I've been tryng to eat some supply boosting foods to help give it a leg up. First on the list: Lactation Cookies!

I haven't gotten around to baking them yet, but figured I could start adding some brewers yeast to some of the things I'm eating and drinking to help me out, since it's one of the supply boosters in the recipe. Well. It's not cheap. My container was about $16 at our local HFS. It's Lewis Labs and grown on sugar beets. They recommend 2 heaping tblspns to milk, juice, soup ect as a supplement. I figured I'd try it in my tea.

:Puke

NOT a good idea. I retched several times before I could spit it out and get my mouth clean. THEN I figured I'd try it with oatmeal-for a double wallop of supplementation goodness... yeast... oats... they should taste pretty good together, right?! So I went all out... added cinnamon, vanilla, brown sugar, nutmeg. This time I just put one spoonful in. I sat down to dig into my steaming bowl of oatmeal...

:Puke

That stuff is exceptionally revolting! Is it just me?!? Is it a bad batch!?! Now I'm afraid to make the cookies for the chance of wasting all the other ingredients when I find them inedible. Can you imagine gagging on an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie?!? That just ain't right!

What am I doing wrong here people?!? Tell me I haven't wasted $16 bucks on something totally inedible!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 06-03-2008, 07:44 PM

i am not sure, but i eat it on popcorn w/o any problems. it is a bit stinky though. but dd1 loves it on popcorn as well.
can you buy small amounts in bulk?

good luck!
#3 of 9 Old 06-03-2008, 10:00 PM

the cookies are really yummy, no worries there. a friend made me some... dunno that they helped me make more milk but they sure helped me poop! i ate a lot of them...

brewer's yeast on popcorn sounds weird to me... do you mean nutrtyional yeast? they are different... brewer's yeast can be bought in pills if you really want to try giving large amounts a go. we used to give it to my dog for some reason... just buried a pill in a snausage... she never knew.

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
#4 of 9 Old 06-04-2008, 03:25 AM

thanks-you just taught me something (well caused me to read wikipedia) about the difference between brewer's yeast and nutritional yeast. which you are right, we have been using nutritional yeast on the popcorn. i have not had brewer's yeast but think i might try making the cookies. sorry about the error!
#5 of 9 Old 06-04-2008, 02:56 PM

Those cookies are the best! I made some and froze them before I had DD last month, and they are great to have on hand...I used raisins instead of chocolate chips since I thought that might be a bit more nutritious. The recipe I had specified that you should use only brewer's yeast, not nutritional yeast. (I found some brewer's yeast in the organic section of the grocery store...a small container that wasn't too expensive). Also, I made a batch with coconut oil instead of butter. I'm making some more this week for a friend whose baby due on Friday. Happy baking!
#6 of 9 Old 06-04-2008, 03:12 PM

anyone notice the serving size in the recipe is for 1 dozen cookies???

that's my kind of serving!!! :

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
#7 of 9 Old 06-04-2008, 04:04 PM

Haha, I never noticed that! Every time I make them, I get like 2.5-3 dozen. Now I don't feel bad at all for eating 3 or 4 at a time!

Life with a toddler: it's not so much the volume, it's the pitch!
#8 of 9 Old 09-14-2008, 12:55 PM

I just made these lactation cookies yesterday and I must say they are SUPER yummy....my older kiddos even love them. I can honestly say you cannot taste the flax seed, or brewers yeast at all! Here is another plus, I feel a bit fuller today, hmmm wonder if they are workin already?

Wife for 11 amazing yrs, Mom to a son REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(10), and three daughters loveeyes.gif (7),  love.gif(4),   energy.gif(3) hbac.gif, ..lost  angel.gif,(5) angel babies to early miscarriage....realizing we were not "finished" so we are expecting a lil BOY 1sttri.gif July 2012

#9 of 9 Old 09-14-2008, 01:17 PM

This is actually an area where labeling comes into play. In the US, there's no definition for brewer's yeast when it comes to nutritional supplements. So, yes, you can buy brewer's yeast that is really granular nutritional yeast. It's grown on molasses and all that. I like it on popcorn and buttered pasta.

There is also brewer's yeast that is spent yeast from brewing. You can buy it dried, but a popular non-dried product would be . . . Marmite!

And, of course, you can buy ready-to-use, live brewer's yeast if you're making your own potent libations.

Because of the discrepancy in definitions, I have no idea which product is actually recommended for lactation. I can use the nutritional form of yeast, but I cannot use the ale-byproduct spent yeast (celiac disease).

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page