Big 3 week old wants to nurse for hours at night... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-07-2003, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 3 week old babe wants to nurse all evening long. He is fussy and will need to keep on me for aprox 4-5 hours before he falls asleep for good at night. He will want to nurse and then just falls asleep after 5 mins then I set him down or pass him to someone to hold him and he wakes up crying and the only thing I can do to quiet him is to nurse again. We have even been trying the advent pacifier which he can't keep in his mouth, so it rarely does any good. He will finally stay asleep at midnight or 1am. He will then sleep for 4-6 hours and will nurse once until morning. During the day he isn't nearly as needy as in the evenings. He was 10lb 13oz at birth and he has gained back his birthweight and then some so I know he is gaining weight. BUT it is getting tough for me to take care of anything else after 5pm except him. Dd and ds need me as well since my husband gets home around 8pm. Please tell me this is normal and that we don't need any formula!
#2 of 7 Old 10-07-2003, 07:44 PM

VW, i am no expert, no lactation consultant, but your baby sounds alot like my daughter did when she was that age (she is now 16, we made it!). She would fuss and fuss, nurse for a minute, then i'd pass her to her dad, then back to the boob, for hours, usually 10 or 11. she eventually out grew it, but i just accepted the fact that this was her fussy time. and lets be honest, giving her formula does not guarentee her not to be fussy, in fact it could make her more fussy. my daughter was just "colicky" for a few months. by the way, she was 6lbs 13oz at birth, and was 24lbs by 6 months of age. thats alot of breastmilk! I thought my nipples would fall off!

Oh, and she refused the pacifier also : how i wish she would have taken one, if only for a minute!

Lisa
#3 of 7 Old 10-07-2003, 09:31 PM

This is normal!!!!!!!! And temporary.
And pacifiers can mess with your latch and milk supply especially this early.

The best advice I ever got was to plan ahead. You can make dinner in the morning and reheat later. Or give the kids sandwiches for dinner. They can even help make them. (Depends on how old they are of course.)
You can lay out the older kids clothes for the next day, or pj's for that night, in the morning or whenever the baby is more content.

Can you hire a neighbor girl as a mother's helper or to play with the other kids or help with them?

Fussy Evenings:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/fussy-evening.html

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#4 of 7 Old 10-07-2003, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My also 3 week old ds does this too. I just try to wake him when he falls asleep. If he's till latched I tickle his cheek, feet, jiggle my breast, ect. He'll rouse just enough to eat for oh 30sec-1 min from that. I'll keep that up until it doesn't wake him... then I'll change his diaper, and that wakes him enough to switch sides. Otherwise I'll be doing what you do, nurse, zonk out, wake up, repeat.

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#5 of 7 Old 10-07-2003, 10:40 PM

Yup, it's totally normal.
The lactation consultant who talked to my birth class calls it "cluster feeding". It's normal for babies to do this, esp. in early infancy. I know it's hard, but hang in there!
I did it with both my children, and now they get put to bed with/by their daddy. It does get easier, and it's worth it in the end!
#6 of 7 Old 10-09-2003, 02:46 AM

My oldest daughter did this too (we rented and watched a lot of movies during this time). I had a very strong let down and she had a hard time nursing for very long during the day.

Milk production usually drops by the evening (although the evening milk is generally higher in fat) and so with my milk coming out at a more reasonable rate, she took that opportunity to get the milk she needed.

Can you figure out how to nurse in a sling? That might give you a bit more flexiblity in caring for your older child as well.

This stage doesn't last forever and so what if you eat a few more convenience foods or watch a little more tv?
#7 of 7 Old 10-09-2003, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mamas for your help and Thanks Momtwice for that great site! I am so happy to hear this is normal and that I don't have a shortage of milk!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page