Magnesium in breastmilk?? HELP! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-09-2008, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a 3-day old who has seems to be in pain and not wanting to nurse tonight. I took 200 mg of magnesium to treat my Restless Leg Syndrom, and now I'm wondering if this could be causing major intestinal discomfort for my baby. He's had about 5 small bowel movements in the last few hours.

Does anyone know about vitamins and mineral supplements in breast milk?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2008, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't have an answer to your question, just thought I would mention that there is a homeopathic made by Hylands for restless legs...it works well and according to my homeopath it's fine for breastfeeding moms...

Hope you get an answer...

Take care,
Kara
Old 06-09-2008, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've never heard of problems from magnesium. Theoretically it can cause diarrhea if taken in too high of quantities, but I've never heard of too much going through breastmilk to baby. I took it routinely with both kids, in order for them to get more (helped with fussiness/sleep later in the afternoon and evening).

It wouldn't be my first guess as to the cause (and if you have RLS and magnesium helps, then it doesn't seem like it would get too high in you), but anything's possible. You could try skipping for a few days (as long as you're not terribly uncomfortable) and then trying it again, or just seeing if a lower dose would work.

User Tag List