Mothering Forum banner

Can you breastfeed hands free?

516 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  mamadelbosque 
#1 ·
I have size C breasts and I cannot breastfeed my son without holding the breast he is nursing from. I use the cross-cradle position. I see all these women who nurse using the cradle position with no hands. Why can't I do this? And this may be neurotic, but if you also cannot nurse without holding your breast, do you wash your hands beforehand?

#2 ·
I don't always hold my breast and I am what ever is next past a DD lol I am forced to squeeze into majorly stretched out DD bras bc I just can't afford new ones, anyways not sure how I do it but I do here lately its been a lot bc I will play my ds while he is nursing works good except for he gets interested in what I am doing and trys to grab it LOL.

#3 ·
I don't always hold my breast and I am what ever is next past a DD lol I am forced to squeeze into majorly stretched out DD bras bc I just can't afford new ones, anyways not sure how I do it but I do here lately its been a lot bc I will play my ds while he is nursing works good except for he gets interested in what I am doing and trys to grab it LOL.

#4 ·
I think it took me a long time before I could get the hang of everything. But now I can do it hands free - not exactly arms free - he still rests his head on my arm, but still - we are both much better at it now.

And for the first few weeks, I was OCD diligent about handwashing, but now I am much more relaxed and letting nature do its thing.

#6 ·
I'm a new nursing mom and I have size K breasts - 7 sizes up from DD (after DD comes DDD/E, then F, etc). I definitely can't do cross-cradle handsfree, and probably won't until she can hold the boob herself. I've on rare occasion used the cradle hold and I also have to hold the boob with that one. However, I can do the football hold handsfree - the boob rests quite happily on her chest. It's her favorite position (and mine). We only use cross-cradle when we're out and about and I don't have room (or a pillow) for football.

I don't wash hands every time, because I honestly hadn't ever thought of it. However I'm probably less of a germophobe than I should be, so YMMV...

#7 ·
I'm a DDD and haven't figured out hands free nursing yet, except side-lying. Sometimes I can balance my boob just right on the boppy and be hands free for about 30 seconds until the weight of my boob pulls the nipple out of her mouth. I'm hoping as she gets older we'll figure out how to be hands free.

Never occurred to me to wash my hands, but I'm the opposite of a grem-phobe. DD is 3 months and has never been sick though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.