Which pump for work from home mom - dad wants to feed new baby once a day - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 38 Old 06-13-2008, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter
 
TessJoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: East Wenatchee
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello ladies
My husband and I are due in mid-August and one of the last things on my shopping list is a breast pump.
I am planning to breastfeed, we both work from home so are blesesd to be able to do so 24 hrs a day, but my husband would like to feed our new baby once a day from a glass bottle :.

I've done a ton of research on pumps and am left with just as many questions as before so I'd love to get YOUR experienced feedback on what the best pump is for our situation - I'd also like to keep the cost around or below $100 but understand that may not be possible.

Thank you so much for your input and advice !
TessJoon is offline  
#2 of 38 Old 06-13-2008, 12:46 AM
 
intorainbowz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Crying into my Diet Coke.
Posts: 3,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry, but my advice would be for your DH to do something else. If you have the chance to directly breast feed, I'd say do it.

It won't be a break for you. You will have to pump during that feeding session and possibly more times during the day to ensure the baby has enough. That includes washing the pump multiple times. You already will have PLENTY of washing to do with a new baby, why make more?

I'd just skip the "daddy" feeding and directly breast feed. This is one place where dads support the mom. I'm sure other people who follow on can give good ideas about things he can do to not feel left out.
intorainbowz is offline  
#3 of 38 Old 06-13-2008, 12:46 AM
 
NJ*Doula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bergen County
Posts: 1,239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In order to give a bottle once a day you'll need to pump once a day, preferrably aroun the time he feeds the baby. I also pump once a day (to build a freezer stash). I started out with a manual, which did next to nothing, so I bought a Medela Swing. It was a great little pump, and lasted over a month. After replacing it with a PISA, however, I'd have to advise jumping straight to the Pump in Style. It gets out more in five minutes (double pumping) than the Swing did in half an hour (15 minutes each side, single pumping). It's a lot more expensive, but if you're just going to have to replace a cheaper pump after it breaks, you might as well just buy the good one to start. That's my experience, anyway.

Another option would be to rent one until you're sure you want to keep up with pumping. It can really be a pain.
NJ*Doula is offline  
#4 of 38 Old 06-13-2008, 12:49 AM
 
becoming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 11,886
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree with intorainbowz. I'd most definitely skip the pumping & bottles. It's going to create SO much extra work for you, not to mention the fact that giving even one bottle early on can cause nipple confusion and damage your milk supply. I think feeding from a bottle once a day is just asking for trouble, honestly.
becoming is offline  
#5 of 38 Old 06-13-2008, 12:51 AM
 
intorainbowz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Crying into my Diet Coke.
Posts: 3,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to add. I have pumped. I exclusively pumped for 8 weeks for my DD while she was in the NICU and while getting her off the bottle and onto the breast. I also pumped for DD while I worked full time out of the home. Pumping is SUCH a hastle, I'd never do it if I did not have to.

My brother insisted on doing this and they very quickly ended up on full formula because she lost her milk.

It's a nice idea in theory, but very problematic in pratice.
intorainbowz is offline  
#6 of 38 Old 06-13-2008, 01:09 AM
 
PatioGardener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,041
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by intorainbowz View Post
Sorry, but my advice would be for your DH to do something else. If you have the chance to directly breast feed, I'd say do it.
I agree with intorainbowz. Introducing a bottle early on may be very detrimental to your breastfeeding relationship. I know it works for some families, but others it doesn't, and breastfeeding is too important to risk.

Here are some important daddy tasks with a new baby:

1) Protect Mama and Baby. This means making sure that there are not too many visitors, that you feel comfortable to breastfeed whenever and wherever you need to, and telling well meaning friends and relatives to butt out when needed.

2) Bath time. This is a great time for Papa to have special one on one time with baby. Plus, if they bathe together, there is great skin-to-sking cuddling time.

3) Diaper changes. Great bonding time, and not so stinky until after 6 months when solids arrive on the scene.

4) Walk time. A 5 minute stroll outside with Dad is a great way to share some sunshine and some cuddles. Check out the baby wearing forum to get some good ideas
PatioGardener is offline  
#7 of 38 Old 06-13-2008, 01:13 AM
 
alegna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 44,408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yep. Skip it.

-Angela
alegna is offline  
#8 of 38 Old 06-13-2008, 07:51 AM
 
TheGirls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Central NY
Posts: 1,641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm pumping now, as type.

I have the Evenflo ComfortSelect. I'm a SAHM too, but I pump to build a freezer stash and so DP can give an occasional bottle. Also for later so we canhave an evening out or whatever. It's really not that bad, though I imagine exclusive pumping would be. Its easier with minimal pressure - if I get nothing at a pumping session, its no big deal, I can try later. I got 2 oz while typing this.

However, I'd wait a few weeks before you give the baby a bottle, so he gets good at breastfeeding first. I had some issues the first week, and pumping would have just been pain... My babe is 4.5 wks now thugh and we're just starting with a bottle once in a while. I pump first thing in the morning and usually get 4-6oz - enough for 2 bottles. I sometimes pump in the evening too so I dont lose my supply when she gets a bottle.

Some women can't get milk with the pump, but for me it's working fine.

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
TheGirls is offline  
#9 of 38 Old 06-13-2008, 10:37 AM
 
Galatea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 7,014
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Why do dads get this idea that feeding the baby makes them bond? Maybe formula companies spread this rumor! My dh has never fed the kids and he is plenty bonded. He bathes with our newborn and loooooooves that. It seems more fun than feeding her, honestly! She is so blissful in the tub. Anyway, my vote is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge hassle for something unnecessary!

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
Galatea is online now  
#10 of 38 Old 06-13-2008, 10:55 AM
 
Lit Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree that DH can bond with the baby without feeding. Pumping is a huge pain and I wish I did not have to do it (working FT and still BFing).

That said.... pumping can be handy... what if you need a nap? Or want to go someplace without the babe?

I started out with a cheap Lansinoh dual. It worked, barely. Also, that one is made with the plastics that may be bad for baby.
I switched to a Symphony rental for 1 month and it worked like a dream, so I purchased the Pump in Style. I've been pumping with that for 3 months now. It's a great pump. I wish I had used it from the start.

Pump for backup/emergeny milk, for a stash later when you want to go out with your husband alone... etc. But your DH will find the special thing he has that makes him *daddy*, and it won't be bottle feeding. In the early weeks for us, my DH was the master of sleepy-time. My son would flat out refuse to sleep for me. I was milk only. Daddy was naptime. DH would walk, rock, sing, whatever (I usually took that time to pass out myself). It was their very special time together. (sniffle!)

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10
Lit Chick is offline  
#11 of 38 Old 06-13-2008, 10:58 AM
 
thismama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nursing the revolution
Posts: 14,356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
Why do dads get this idea that feeding the baby makes them bond? Maybe formula companies spread this rumor! My dh has never fed the kids and he is plenty bonded. He bathes with our newborn and loooooooves that. It seems more fun than feeding her, honestly! She is so blissful in the tub. Anyway, my vote is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge hassle for something unnecessary!
:
thismama is offline  
#12 of 38 Old 06-13-2008, 11:14 AM
 
splath's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 1,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use the medela swing and like it I pump once a day to accumulate a freezer stash, and so dh can give an OCASSIONAL bottle. I think once a day might be overdoing it, and I'd definitely hold off until at least 6 weeks or so

Mama to Eleanore Rae, born April 6, 2008 & Adelaide Jane, born December 16, 2010, Cautiously expecting #3 September 10, 2013

I blog! Check my profile for the link

splath is offline  
#13 of 38 Old 06-13-2008, 11:24 AM
 
alegna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 44,408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lit Chick View Post
That said.... pumping can be handy... what if you need a nap? Or want to go someplace without the babe?
That's just the thing- if you need a nap or are going someplace without babe you're still going to need to pump then.

I found it easier to nap with babe and take them with me in the early months.

-Angela
alegna is offline  
#14 of 38 Old 06-13-2008, 11:27 AM
 
Twinklefae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 5,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would like to say, that while I pump and DF feeds the occasional bottle
A) we didn't start til the 6 mo mark, and
B) it's probably the most stressful thing DF does. It's not a bonding experience, it's a stressful act of trying to convince DS that he really wants something he doesn't. If the baby knows that boobies are even the sligest possibility, they generally prefer the real thing.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!
 
Twinklefae is offline  
#15 of 38 Old 06-13-2008, 12:13 PM
 
Bkwyrm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guess I had the opposite experience from a lot of other people - I didn't find pumping that annoying, and my little girl never cared where the food came from as long as she was getting it! We had a Medela Pump In Style, which I understand is a very nice pump. After our morning nursing session, during the baby's first nap, I'd pump while I read the paper or watched the news. I never had supply issues (actually, I had oversupply!), so I'd get around 4oz total and pop it in the freezer. My husband would occasionally give her a bottle of pumped milk while I caught up on sleep in the evenings, but it was also really useful when I had to have emergency dental work and was away several hours. I eventually built up a pretty good stash of pumped milk, which we used once a week when I'd go see the chiropractor. It was also really useful to have the pump handy when the baby went on a nursing strike as her first few teeth came in - it was a short strike, only a few days, but it was such a help to be able to pump and keep my supply up so that when she did finally nurse again, there was something for her to get!
After consultation with the lactation consultant, we introduced a bottle when she was fairly young. Three weeks old, I think. We also always used the "slow flow" nipples, because the "fast" ones were just too easy for her and she'd slurp down twice as much as she'd normally eat in one sitting, then she'd spit up.
Again, everyone is different, every baby is different, but I never had an issue with pumping or with any kind of baby-confusion about where the food was coming from. Talk to a lactation consultant, if you have one, about your plans.
Bkwyrm is offline  
#16 of 38 Old 06-13-2008, 12:26 PM
 
YesandNo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I pump to build a freezer stash and so DP can give an occasional bottle. Also for later so we can have an evening out or whatever. It's really not that bad, though I imagine exclusive pumping would be.
Me too. I don't find pumping to be that much of a hassle. It's not a big deal. I pump one bottle a day, first thing in the morning - DD is 10 weeks and sleeps 8+ hours at night (lucky me!). I wake up, pump, then wake her to feed her.

It will depend on your supply. If nursing is a struggle for you, then skip pumping if you can. I have the sort of supply where I can skip a session once in a while without having to pump. I've also pumped so DD can have a bottle on a night I plan to be drinking (I just "pump and dump" on those occasions).

I'd wait until the baby is at least 4-6 weeks old before introducing a bottle.

I recommend the Medela Swing. It's a single-side electric pump that uses the same technology as the Medela Pump in Style Advanced. It's fine for occasional use and is just $120 with free shipping at Albee Baby (vs $225+ for the PISA). If you do eventually "graduate" to the PISA, the parts will be compatible.

I know a lot of people like the Avent Isis, but be aware that that pump and the bottles are not BPA-safe.
YesandNo is offline  
#17 of 38 Old 06-13-2008, 01:24 PM
 
blizzard_babe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Land of Beer and Cheese, baby.
Posts: 4,910
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One thing that DH and I are starting soon (now that DS is six weeks and not so... newborn-y) is to have DH parent him down for naps. Basically, I nurse him into that sweet sleepy, boobie-drunk, nap-ready state, and DH is going to take him and sway, rock, bounce, etc, him to sleep.

We'll have to do some bottle feedings come September... I go back to work, DH will be staying home with the baby, although we're going to be able to work it out so he'll only potentially have to have one bottle per day (we live a four-minute walk from work and they're pretty flexible and family-friendly) but on the advice of many, haven't started bottle feedings yet.

Nursing can be kind of a delicate thing in the beginning. Your husband can be patient, and bond with him in a gazillion other ways.

Just my opinion.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
blizzard_babe is offline  
#18 of 38 Old 06-13-2008, 02:18 PM
 
slmtoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: St. PEte, FL
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lit Chick View Post
That said.... pumping can be handy... what if you need a nap? Or want to go someplace without the babe?
If you want a nap then nurse before you sleep, and learn the wonderful gift of sidelaying nursing. Baby can latch on and nurse and you don't have to wake up at al.

If you don't need to give a baby a bottle (for work, school, etc) then don't, esp during the first few months when you are trying to establish your relationship and supply. Dad can feed when you start solids, or read a book, give baths, or any of the other 10000000 things that involves parenting.
slmtoya is offline  
#19 of 38 Old 06-13-2008, 02:58 PM
 
MGBoutique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree that pumping is a lot of work and that there are lots of other things Daddy can do with and for baby without giving a bottle. However, if you do decide to pump, I recommend the Lansinoh double electric pump. It's relatively inexpensive and works really, really well. It's the same exact pump as the Ameda Purely Yours pump, if you can find that one instead. I have it and although I have ended up not pumping very much after all, (I thought I would need to for work but ended up not working much), it has worked really well for me. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I avoid pumping because it's a pain to wash the pump parts, to wash the nipples and bottles, and to get the baby to take the bottle because he prefers the breast....but it's nice to have one just in case we have to give him a bottle/cup for some reason.
MGBoutique is offline  
#20 of 38 Old 06-13-2008, 03:02 PM
 
jaxxy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: northeast ohio
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2 concerns for you:
1. Everyone in my family wanted to "give the baby a bottle". People just feel good about feeding the baby. I think it is fine when you can't physically be there to nurse otherwise it's a slippery slope.

2. My ped told us to intro a bottle before 3 weeks since I would be returning to work and I couldn't bring myself to let someone give him a bottle. It just didn't feel right to me and it's not something I could have forseen when preggers. I just felt it when it came time.

Other good suggestions for daddy time:
snuggling during naps, bathtime ( I found my DS didn't like getting in the tub alone when he was very small), bedtime routine with a story and quiet time.
jaxxy is offline  
#21 of 38 Old 06-13-2008, 03:22 PM
 
gabysmom617's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Where ghetto meets crunchy
Posts: 3,152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree with everyone else on helping daddy find other ways to bond with baby.

I'd say to you, the last thing on your mind right now, if you're planning to breastfeed and if you plan to not have to put your baby into childcare (even if you still want to get a pump just in case) should be planning on how often dad gets to give a bottle.

You shouldn't even be worrying about this right now, because you never know what your days are going to be like. You may find that it's far too much of a hassle to pump when it's not necessary and it's far easier to just nurse baby. It's extremely important for you to allow your babe to nurse on demand in the beginning to be sure you have an ample supply of milk for her. You'll be tired and drained, and the easiest thing in the world would be to latch the kid on, top her off, and then hand her off to your husband when she's full so that you can catch a nap and he can hold her while she's sleeping (I find lots of dads love to do that) or change her or bathe her, etc. And yes, It was MUCH easier to bring my kid with me and nurse him in public than it was to pump a bottle and leave him at home.

You may find (like I did) that you can hardly pump anything. I had an overabundant supply of milk, but the best of breastpumps could barely squeeze an ounce out of me. Babe will always be better at getting milk out of your breast than any plastic pump will be. For that reason, I was so glad to make the sacrifices to be a sahm because I could see myself having to supplement with formula otherwise, because I simply could not express that much milk.

You never know what life is going to be like after your baby is born.

Sure get yourself a pump, because who knows, you may get good use out of it.

But the last thing you should be thinking about is how often daddy is going to get to feed the kid everyday. That should be far from set in your plans yet.

Also, I'd rethink the glass bottles thing. Some breastfed babies get nipple confusion from bottles. You can still get milk in them in other ways, like spoon feeding or a cup (or, a training cup with no "no-drip" device inside of it) etc. Explore all options besides bottle feeding because other options can help prevent nipple confusion better than a bottle can.
gabysmom617 is offline  
#22 of 38 Old 06-15-2008, 11:31 AM
 
Yaniris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have Purely Yours double electric pump. Is excellent! It cost me $149. It was one of the cheapest and one of the best pump I was able to find. I have a 3 weeks old and since he was born he takes the breast and bottle. During the day I breastfeed. I also pump during the day to collect a few bottles for the night time. For some reason he fuss and won't latch at night time. My husband also helps with feeding so is very convenience to pump. I also take a bottle with me if I go out. He never got the nipple confusion with the pacifier or the bottle as he still takes my breast during the day.. For me, I rather give him a bottle at night time and have my husband or my teenage daughter help. I made sure I had my pump before he was born.
Yaniris is offline  
#23 of 38 Old 06-15-2008, 11:47 AM
 
alegna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 44,408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaniris View Post
I have Purely Yours double electric pump. Is excellent! It cost me $149. It was one of the cheapest and one of the best pump I was able to find. I have a 3 weeks old and since he was born he takes the breast and bottle. During the day I breastfeed. I also pump during the day to collect a few bottles for the night time. For some reason he fuss and won't latch at night time. My husband also helps with feeding so is very convenience to pump. I also take a bottle with me if I go out. He never got the nipple confusion with the pacifier or the bottle as he still takes my breast during the day.. For me, I rather give him a bottle at night time and have my husband or my teenage daughter help. I made sure I had my pump before he was born.
That is VERY early to be giving that many bottles. And the fact you say he won't nurse at night is already some nipple preference showing up.

-Angela
alegna is offline  
#24 of 38 Old 06-15-2008, 11:56 AM
 
Yaniris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
That is VERY early to be giving that many bottles. And the fact you say he won't nurse at night is already some nipple preference showing up.

-Angela
Angela,

I wasn't specific on how many bottles I give him during the night time. He does most of his feedings at night because during the day he sleeps and this may be one of the reason he gets very fussy and won't latch at night. My husband and I take turns and it works for me. He drinks 2 to 3 oz from the bottle and about 3 to 4 bottles at night. I don't think that's alot of bottle at all at his age. As long as he keeps nursing during the day I have no problem.

Yani
Yaniris is offline  
#25 of 38 Old 06-15-2008, 01:09 PM
 
alegna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 44,408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaniris View Post
Angela,

I wasn't specific on how many bottles I give him during the night time. He does most of his feedings at night because during the day he sleeps and this may be one of the reason he gets very fussy and won't latch at night. My husband and I take turns and it works for me. He drinks 2 to 3 oz from the bottle and about 3 to 4 bottles at night. I don't think that's alot of bottle at all at his age. As long as he keeps nursing during the day I have no problem.

Yani
That's a LOT of bottles at that age. All breastfeeding-friendly sources say NO artificial nipples until after 6 weeks. It will most likely become very difficult to keep your supply up with this pattern. And, as you mention, he's already showing a nipple preference.

-Angela
alegna is offline  
#26 of 38 Old 06-15-2008, 01:31 PM
 
BetsyS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: world of craziness
Posts: 5,387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I pumped some with my first son. I used an Avent Isis. It worked great, and I had a huge freezer stash.

Only thing was, my kiddo would never take milk anywhere but from the tap (and we did all the "right" things, and started introducing a bottle at 3 weeks old--he just wasn't having it). I ended up throwing away a huge stash when he was a year old.

For us, pumping wasn't worth it.
BetsyS is offline  
#27 of 38 Old 06-15-2008, 01:49 PM
 
PassionateWriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,790
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by becoming View Post
I agree with intorainbowz. I'd most definitely skip the pumping & bottles. It's going to create SO much extra work for you, not to mention the fact that giving even one bottle early on can cause nipple confusion and damage your milk supply. I think feeding from a bottle once a day is just asking for trouble, honestly.
this is really what a lot of dads dont understand, i think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
That's just the thing- if you need a nap or are going someplace without babe you're still going to need to pump then.

I found it easier to nap with babe and take them with me in the early months.

-Angela
seriously...what is wrong with taking baby with you when you (general you) leave the house? i have always been able to nap w/ baby and found that my kids actually nap longer if im napping with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinklefae View Post
I would like to say, that while I pump and DF feeds the occasional bottle
A) we didn't start til the 6 mo mark, and
B) it's probably the most stressful thing DF does. It's not a bonding experience, it's a stressful act of trying to convince DS that he really wants something he doesn't. If the baby knows that boobies are even the sligest possibility, they generally prefer the real thing.
the few times i tried to offer a bottle (b/c i was in a dentists chair...around 4 or 5 months) it was horrible. not at all stress free for anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkwyrm View Post
I guess I had the opposite experience from a lot of other people - I didn't find pumping that annoying, and my little girl never cared where the food came from as long as she was getting it! We had a Medela Pump In Style, which I understand is a very nice pump. After our morning nursing session, during the baby's first nap, I'd pump while I read the paper or watched the news. I never had supply issues (actually, I had oversupply!), so I'd get around 4oz total and pop it in the freezer. My husband would occasionally give her a bottle of pumped milk while I caught up on sleep in the evenings, but it was also really useful when I had to have emergency dental work and was away several hours. I eventually built up a pretty good stash of pumped milk, which we used once a week when I'd go see the chiropractor. It was also really useful to have the pump handy when the baby went on a nursing strike as her first few teeth came in - it was a short strike, only a few days, but it was such a help to be able to pump and keep my supply up so that when she did finally nurse again, there was something for her to get!
After consultation with the lactation consultant, we introduced a bottle when she was fairly young. Three weeks old, I think. We also always used the "slow flow" nipples, because the "fast" ones were just too easy for her and she'd slurp down twice as much as she'd normally eat in one sitting, then she'd spit up.
Again, everyone is different, every baby is different, but I never had an issue with pumping or with any kind of baby-confusion about where the food was coming from. Talk to a lactation consultant, if you have one, about your plans.
i think if you look at the experiences here, you will see that your experience is really not "common". many babies have nipple confusion..many women's supply is affected. there are many issues that can negatively affect a breastfeeding relationship from introducing bottles. if someone is a WAHM or having to be away, then those circumstances are different and something that needs to be done...but to simply give bottles so someone else can feed baby is potentially damaging to the bf'ing relationship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaniris View Post
Angela,

I wasn't specific on how many bottles I give him during the night time. He does most of his feedings at night because during the day he sleeps and this may be one of the reason he gets very fussy and won't latch at night. My husband and I take turns and it works for me. He drinks 2 to 3 oz from the bottle and about 3 to 4 bottles at night. I don't think that's alot of bottle at all at his age. As long as he keeps nursing during the day I have no problem.

Yani

thats a lot of bottles and you are saying he isnt nursing a lot during teh day...so MOST of teh time he's eating, hes eating from bottles. If he's eating from bottles most of the time, he's already showing a preferance against teh breast. If thats fine with you, then good...but for most bf'ing moms, drinking from the tap is easiest. Also, there are many benefits of feeding from teh breasts that are not obtained from bottles (if baby is sick, etc. etc.).
PassionateWriter is offline  
#28 of 38 Old 06-15-2008, 03:22 PM
 
GearGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,950
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since pumps are expensive, I would recommend waiting until you get to know your baby and his/her needs. My first was fine with pumped breast milk, and I really like the idea of having a stash when need be, but pumping is really difficult for me in that if I pump for an hour I might get 4 ounces, so I really only pumped when I had to be away (I was in law school). My youngest (6 months now) wasn't gaining and I tried to pump, but it didn't work. I supplemented for a while, but now that he has caught up and is enormous, he no longer needs any supplementing and wouldn't take a bottle even if we tried. If he sees a bottle he gags, it is almost like a little parlor trick we can show family that wants to know why we don't give him a bottle. He is all about taking it from the tap as others have said, and the pump is a big, fat waste of money. My dh carries him in his fleece pouch for naps sometimes, and that has been a great bonding experience for them! The bottle would be more like a torture experience.
GearGirl is offline  
#29 of 38 Old 06-15-2008, 09:31 PM
 
mamadelbosque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 6,946
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DH was worried about not 'getting" to 'feed the baby' when I was preggos too. He got over it. Really quick. I did pump twice a week for several months so I could go to Tae Kwon Do, and on the other random and very rare occasions when we left DS with my mom, but mostly, I'd say let your Dh deal with other stuff
mamadelbosque is offline  
#30 of 38 Old 06-15-2008, 09:41 PM
 
bri276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 6,050
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
as a former exlcusive pumper b/c baby was born with a cleft palate.... if you have a choice, wait the 6 week minimum for best chances at a successful bf'ing relationship. it's just not worth the risk. daddies and babies have bonded from time immemorial before the invention of bottles.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
bri276 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off