Wonderful moments in breast feeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 99 Old 06-30-2008, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
luv

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A lot of the threads here are about resolving a problem with breast feeding. This can leave the forum a bit skewed so I’d like to balance that out. Tell us something about breast feeding that you just love. Tell us something that makes dealing with the occasional problem worth it.

I for one find looking at my daughters chubby little thighs and double chin quite confidence inspiring. My body did that. I did that as a mother. My baby is healthy because I am feeding her the best way I know how. It gives me the confidence to handle other things as a mother as well.
#2 of 99 Old 06-30-2008, 08:45 AM

I thought it was simply amazing when DS turned one year. He didn't eat really at all or drink anything. It was my breast and my body that grew him and sustained him for the first year of life. Powerful stuff!

I loved the nursing sighs, the drunk nursing look, the smiles and giggles while nursing. The hand wrapped around my nursing tank or bra. The frantic head bob when they want to nurse so badly but you just aren't getting it out fast enough. How it always soothed him. I could go on... I can't wait to nurse again!
#3 of 99 Old 06-30-2008, 09:51 AM

Seeing them grow and know YOU and YOU alone are what is making them grow that you're giving your child all they need, oh and I love it when he nurses and wants to just touch my face and look at me its so sweet, oh and the convienience IDK why on earth I ever bothered bottle feeding my first 2 at all bc man was it a pain trying to find warm water or something to warm the bottle and carrying around a can of formula and bottles just a PITA to do when w/ bf'ding you can feed them whenever wherever on the spot w/ no worries its just the most awesome thing ever
#4 of 99 Old 06-30-2008, 10:03 AM

The sheer beauty of a nursing babe is amazing. Just their little smiles and pure happiness in their eyes. 13 months and still going strong!

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#5 of 99 Old 06-30-2008, 10:37 AM

Am I allowed to give more than one?

Since my 10 mo is now so active, I love our nursing sessions because we get to sit down together and I can hold him in my arms and play with his hair while he eats. It's so peaceful.

I love seeing his chub and knowing it came from me!

I love how easy it was to lose my baby weight!!

I love when he takes a break from nursing and looks up and me and smiles--though lately he's started saying "dada!" when he does that.

I love having the ability to calm him down--whether it's after a little tumble, or if something has scared him, whatever--being able to let him nurse and get himself re-oriented!
#6 of 99 Old 06-30-2008, 10:42 AM

DS has lately starting putting a hand between my breasts while having his back rubbed to go to sleep. I think it's sweet that he finds them so comforting.

I also love that DF looks at him and says "How did you get so big just drinking milk?"

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#7 of 99 Old 06-30-2008, 12:16 PM

DD likes to 'tuck in milks' when she's finished. She'll kiss the breast and say 'nite nite milk!' and then pull my shirt down. It's so sweet!

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#8 of 99 Old 06-30-2008, 01:23 PM

I love it when my daughter is cradled in my arms and is looking up at me. When I talk to her while she is nursing, she just bats her pretty blue eyes at me and then smiles.

I have been having issues with quick letdown in one breast, so she is usually very mad when she is on that one. So...we get a nice break when she feeds on the other one ;-)
#9 of 99 Old 06-30-2008, 03:07 PM

There are many - but right now nothing is better than the slackjawed "pop" followed by his sweet little head rolling back into a deep deep sleep. He's 7 mos and has a devil of a time going to bed now.

I think my absolute favorite moments are when he's nursing and I'm singing to him. Whenver I start his favorite song, he pauses to give me a little smile. My heart about bursts with love.

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10
#10 of 99 Old 06-30-2008, 03:09 PM

I love when DD has fallen asleep at the breast. She usually has one hand resting on top of my breast and is using it as a pillow.

I love knowing that every bit of growth is due to me.

I love when she lunges at my breast when she's hungry. I call it the boob dive.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#11 of 99 Old 06-30-2008, 04:18 PM

I have a pic on my cellphone of my little chubbykins' face before she latches on. Her mouth is wide open, and her eyes are smiling. It's that little face that makes the challenges of breastfeeding worth facing.

Oh, and pinching her fat thighs while she's nursing!
#12 of 99 Old 06-30-2008, 10:20 PM

i love it when she hears the click of my nursing bra and starts rooting around like a little animal looking for my breast.

i love it when she drinks and in between each swallow, she says, "mmm" - like a little moan of total bliss.

i love it when she smiles up at me whilst nursing!
#13 of 99 Old 06-30-2008, 10:45 PM

I love that each of my girls has gained almost 10 pounds since Valentine's Day exclusively on my milk...

..that my body failed to keep them inside but my breasts came to the rescue...

..the way their cheeks smell after a feeding- milk and skin- a pure ecstasy of smells.

Mama to lovely twin girls 1/08
#14 of 99 Old 07-01-2008, 12:58 AM

I love the cry turned to happy mmm mmms that he makes when the boob is finally in his mouth.

I love that he still needs me and only me sometimes. Well, most times.

I love when he sucks in his sleep, because I know he is dreaming of me.

I love that he touches my face now when he eats.

::::

Mama to a sweet baby boy (01/18/08), wife to a sweet and loving husband, blogger:, swimmer:, reader of all things and future IBCLC. Waiting zenfully for my spirit baby to return!
#15 of 99 Old 07-01-2008, 01:02 AM

All of the above. Plus, for me, BFing was and is incredibly helpful in helping me get over the initial emotional let down of ending up with a c-section. Right at first, I had difficulty grasping that DS was in fact my baby because I didn't feel like I'd given birth (still don't). Instead it felt like I went to some crazy magic show... like when they pull a bunny out of a hat. Only in this situation the bunny was a baby and I got to take him home after it was all over. Anyway, BFing really helped me to restore that instinctual relationship with him. Knowing that his nourishment was/is coming from my body, just like it had when I was pregnant.... well that went a long way to convince me that he is, in fact, mine. BFing is also helping to restore some of the trust I lost in my body when I ended up with a c-section. I worked so hard to be so prepared for my home water birth... did everything I could to build up my self-trust and ensure a gentle natural birth... and when I ended up with a c/s after 31 hours of unproductive labor I really felt like my body had let me down. But BFing, and knowing that my body alone provides the absolute best nourishment for DS that can be found anywhere is helping me to heal from that disappointment. I still have a ways to go on that road, but DS is only 4 months old... so we've still got plenty of time to let the BFing work it's magic.

mommy to Christopher 2/29/08
#16 of 99 Old 07-01-2008, 02:31 AM

I think it's so funny and cute when I ask DS if he's "hungwee" and he says "na na na na na!" and makes a "grabbing"/milking motion with his hands. Then he gets a HUGE smile before he latches. He loves milky.
#17 of 99 Old 07-01-2008, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanniesue2 View Post
All of the above. Plus, for me, BFing was and is incredibly helpful in helping me get over the initial emotional let down of ending up with a c-section. Right at first, I had difficulty grasping that DS was in fact my baby because I didn't feel like I'd given birth (still don't). Instead it felt like I went to some crazy magic show... like when they pull a bunny out of a hat. Only in this situation the bunny was a baby and I got to take him home after it was all over. Anyway, BFing really helped me to restore that instinctual relationship with him. Knowing that his nourishment was/is coming from my body, just like it had when I was pregnant.... well that went a long way to convince me that he is, in fact, mine. BFing is also helping to restore some of the trust I lost in my body when I ended up with a c-section. I worked so hard to be so prepared for my home water birth... did everything I could to build up my self-trust and ensure a gentle natural birth... and when I ended up with a c/s after 31 hours of unproductive labor I really felt like my body had let me down. But BFing, and knowing that my body alone provides the absolute best nourishment for DS that can be found anywhere is helping me to heal from that disappointment. I still have a ways to go on that road, but DS is only 4 months old... so we've still got plenty of time to let the BFing work it's magic.
I could have written this post, except replace 31 hours with 15.

DS is a year and I still have problems with his birth. But I'm so happy that I am nursing him. It does create SUCH a special bond. 4/5 months was the worst for me in terms of PPD -- after that, our bond got REALLY strong. It just gets better and better. :
#18 of 99 Old 07-01-2008, 02:40 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I had a hard pregnancy and a difficult labor. Then when I got to breastfeeding it all happened easily. I haven't been doing it that long yet, but we figured out how to latch on the first try and I was only sore for a little over a day. It's been easy and comfortable since. I feel like this has been the first part of parenting that has gone well/easily and I'm so grateful.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#19 of 99 Old 07-01-2008, 04:34 AM

It's the intimacy that I love...the skin-to-skin, the greedy grunts as she roots for the nipple and contented hums once she's found it, the way she idly plays with my finger as her little head bobs away, the blissed-out look on her face and sleepy grins when she pulls away and falls asleep with her cheek on my breast.

We were at out and about recently, and I watched a different feeding scene altogether. The baby was in a stroller, looking bored and unattached. The parents were distracted, not looking at the baby...acting as human bottle props, basically. Now of course not every bottle-feeding episode looks like that, but watching that family just made me sad for them - and made me so grateful for being able to breastfeed, because every feeding is a warm close-contact encounter. I'm new at it; our LO is just 6 weeks old today. The realization I had at that market made any of the discomfort of the early weeks just melt away and seem so insignificant.

Pure :
#20 of 99 Old 07-01-2008, 04:57 AM

*stalks thread*
Thanks for sharing ladies! It's so nice to see
#21 of 99 Old 07-01-2008, 10:22 AM

I love that when DS is upset nursing makes it all better fast.

I love the warm sleepy snuggles.

I am proud of his confidence and health--knowing that I had a hand in that!

Nursing sessions are a welcome break time in our busy days.

While nursing the love between us is just palpable--wonderful!

And at the start nursing forged our bond and taught be how to be the responsive mother I wanted to be.
::::
#22 of 99 Old 07-01-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomacts View Post
I love when he sucks in his sleep, because I know he is dreaming of me.
How sweet! And how true.

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10
#23 of 99 Old 07-01-2008, 06:21 PM

I lvoe it all. I love the way his little hand gently caresses my face, feeling all of my features, and how I caress him too. I love the way he is soothed to sleep so gently. I love the way it seems he is starting to say "mama" though he is only 6 mo. I love how he discovered how to nurse on his side. i love seeing his pretty chubby ness

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10

When we know better, we do better. ~Maya Angelou 

#24 of 99 Old 07-01-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
i love it when she drinks and in between each swallow, she says, "mmm" - like a little moan of total bliss.
Me too. I also love the smiles while nursing. Although she did once grin so big that a mouthful of milk dribbled out!

I think nursing is my favorite aspect of mothering. I had no idea it was such a pleasure.
#25 of 99 Old 07-01-2008, 07:25 PM

Well, we've had a very rough go of nursing after a perfect birth, so I am keen on appreciating every little bit of it I can as it gets easier!

I love the gulping noises- I don't feel let down but I can hear it and that is satisfying

Ilove the "milk drunk" look and little smiles after nursing.

Oddly enough I love it when she spits up a little milk. I made enough for her to take in a little too much, and after i wipe it away, I can make sure she's full again. A true blessing when you're dealing with supply issues!

I too love when she pops off, satisfied, and uses my boob as a pillow!

Used to be stay at home parent to our two lovely girls, survived nursing school with family intact, about to graduate and looking for a job! I low-supply nursed my bio daughter for 3 years. 

#26 of 99 Old 07-01-2008, 11:19 PM

today i got my new leopard print nursing bra from victoria secret. we have several pillows etc that are leopard print so ds (20 mos) knows the word 'le-pord'. dh and ds came into the bedroom while i was trying it on and i turned around and said, 'what's this, ds?' pointing at the bra, expecting to hear 'le-pord'.

but no, he got the biggest smile and said 'nummies!' so happily.

seeing how happy nursing makes my son makes all the tough moments worthwhile!
#27 of 99 Old 07-02-2008, 12:41 AM

I did not nurse my first 3 children, but #4 has been ebf. I can honestly say I wish I could go back to my older kids' infancies and nurse them -- nursing is so wonderful! I just love it. It's awesome.

When she was really young, I would be so amazed at every poop, I'd think, "Look! I made this!" : And the chunky thighs and double chins. But the poops were very exciting to me!

The smiles, the milk-drunk happiness, the sighs of contentment.

When I nurse her laying down, if I'm topless, she'll put her hand on my other breast and stare at it longingly like, "OMG, there's another one too?!?!?!? I'm the luckiest baby in the world!!!!"

Nursing is awesome :

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#28 of 99 Old 07-02-2008, 02:16 AM

If ds is overstimulated or fussy, I can nurse him for a second and he is just fine.

He's started doing this thing where he grabs on to my breast while he eats, it's really sweet, and I love when he looks up to me and makes a soft "oooo" noise and smiles. Oh yeah, or when he falls asleep, opens his eyes, smiles REALLY big and then falls back asleep.

Most of all, I love the bond we have. We are so close and I think a lot of that has to do with the fact I bf him. :

~*Have more than you show, speak less than you know*~

#29 of 99 Old 07-02-2008, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
luv

Tonight as usual I nursed Kacey to sleep. She was so very calm and content. I hope the day that she no longer wants to nurse is far far away.
#30 of 99 Old 07-02-2008, 05:02 PM

For me, it's worth it knowing she is getting the BEST nutrition

I think though, my favorite thing about nursing is the look she gives right before she nurses (sheer joy) and right after she latches on (sheer contentment). Even at nine months she still rolls her eyes back and closes them for a couple seconds

Also, once she had just learned the sign for milk and I was away from her for a few hours and my MIL was watching her. I guess she kept signing milk the whole time I was gone (even when my MIL would offer her a bottle, she'd push it away and sign milk). Then when I came home, I nursed her and she just looked so content, looked at me, stuck her little hand up and signed "milk" which I think she thought meant "ma-ma."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page