Side lying nursing causes what?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-02-2008, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would give anything for a great alternative ped!

Took my son, Jahmari (4 months old this Saturday past) , to the clinic today for his 4 months checkup. I was nervous because My husband and I had decided not to vax him and I was not looking forward to the reaction from the clinic. They did not even notice that he was due for shots and didn't say anything about it. He had a shot at 2 months but after that I finally had time to research and decided no vax for us.

I took him to get him weighed and because he has had a stuffy nose for a week. They listened to his chest and said he was congested there. The doctor said he wanted to put him on the nebulizer for 10-15 mins to help clear it out. It is just a saline solution that they mist over their mouth and nose so I said ok to that. He started to write a script for an antihistamine. I told him I do not give my child anything that he must explain it to me, what it is and what it does and if he will get better without it than we are all set to go without. He didn't even bother to explain what it was and what it does he just said, yes he will get better without it. Fine, I felt good about that.

Here is the part that made me long for a good ped and especially for having an LLL in my country: The nurse that was doing the nebulizer was trying to talk to me while I was trying to sing softly and calm Jahmari who was hating the nebulizer. She wanted to know when he had eaten last, 'just a little in the waiting room', 'that's it for the morning?!' she says in a tone that I did not appreciate. I just looked at her like she was crazy and said 'Noo' (it was 10am!) Then she asks if the doctor talked to me about the position that I nurse him in, I said that he had not. She said I must nurse him in an upright position, I told him he always nurses laying down (he is a side-lying nurser almost exclusively). She said the reason he is sick is because I nurse him laying down and the milk drips into his ears (um his ears are fine) and down into their lungs. I just said 'oh, ok, thanks'

Please tell me she is misinformed, it seems absolutely bizarre to me. Especially after the doctor just got done telling me that his immune system was not yet developed, around 6 months he said that he starts to develop it (even more reason not to vax so soon, right?) So wouldn't his cold be from his aunt who had it first and not from the position i nurse him in?

Sorry this is so bloggy. I am in my husband's country and don't have any friends on this island. The internet is my only connection to alternative type ideas. I don't even have any friends who are breastfeeding, the women who were pg the same time as me are all doing formula. My husband is my greatest support for the breastfeeding. He is from here but is a rastafarian and is very open-minded. He reads the things online that I send him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2008, 05:48 PM

she is crazy, and misinformed.

and breastmilk is sterile and would cause no harm in his ears... and there are anatomical things in place that keep milk out of the lungs... crazy doctor office woman...

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
Old 07-02-2008, 05:48 PM
luv

"She said the reason he is sick is because I nurse him laying down and the milk drips into his ears (um his ears are fine) and down into their lungs. I just said 'oh, ok, thanks'"

As far as I am aware the ears and lungs are not connected

Kacey for many many months nursed side lying almost exclusively and she's just fine Ignore that psychotic woman
Old 07-02-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inchijen View Post
she is crazy, and misinformed.

and breastmilk is sterile and would cause no harm in his ears...
Yep, in fact, I've heard that a couple drops of breastmilk are good for healing ear infections
Old 07-02-2008, 06:22 PM

She's thinking of bottle fed babies. They need to be fed on an incline because the formula goes into their ears.

1. Not an issue with breastmilk, it's actually good for ears.

2. Babies are naturally on an incline when they BF.

3. Ears are not connected to lungs.

How can she be a nurse and not know this?!
Old 07-02-2008, 06:27 PM

I agree with what other pp have said...if you need more back-up check out www.llli.org (La Leche League). Unfortunately, the medical community needs to study up on breastfeeding still.

Jen, wife and mom to two wonder boysfencing.gif, one monkey-girl fly-by-nursing1.gifand another on the way.homeschool.gifwinner.jpggoorganic.jpgcd.gif
Old 07-02-2008, 06:27 PM

She is terrifyingly misinformed.

Don't listen to anything she says without researching it. EV-er.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:28 PM

All my babes slept with me and nursed on their side all night for a year or more. Never had a problem. I think she was passing on some misunderstanding of her own.
Three cheers for nursing with so little support!!

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
Old 07-02-2008, 07:07 PM

Mammals are SUPPOSED to nurse laying down. Have you ever seen a mama cat walking around with their kittens hanging off?!

What an idiot!!

Mama to a sweet baby boy (01/18/08), wife to a sweet and loving husband, blogger:, swimmer:, reader of all things and future IBCLC. Waiting zenfully for my spirit baby to return!
Old 07-02-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomacts View Post
Mammals are SUPPOSED to nurse laying down. Have you ever seen a mama cat walking around with their kittens hanging off?!
haha
Old 07-02-2008, 08:39 PM

that is seriously scary, that a nurse would say these things and know so little about anatomy!
Old 07-02-2008, 09:41 PM

[QUOTE=RasJi7;11606127 They listened to his chest and said he was congested there. The doctor said he wanted to put him on the nebulizer for 10-15 mins to help clear it out. It is just a saline solution that they mist over their mouth and nose so I said ok to that.[/QUOTE]

The nurse is an idiot.

That aside, I haven't heard of using just plain saline in a nebulizer, we always have to use albuterol.

April :
Mom, Wife, Doula, CBE
Old 07-03-2008, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckling'sMommy View Post
Yep, in fact, I've heard that a couple drops of breastmilk are good for healing ear infections
:

The nurse is an idiot. Maybe we had the same one -- did she also tell you that the orangy pee I found in my newborn's diaper was a good thing and is the "jaundice leaving his body"? When in actuality (I found out later from my LC) that it was "brickdust" and had nothing to do with jandice being pee'd out, or whatever she was trying to tell me. :
Old 07-03-2008, 05:17 PM

We love to nurse laying down- DS's latch is much better when he's relaxed on the bed
Old 07-03-2008, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mommas! I hate when that happens and I am in such shock that I can't say anything like, "Stop spreading bad breastfeeding advice!"

I am wondering if I should go back and say something to her so she doesn't tell anyone else such nonsense. Like I have time for this- it's just that the bad bf advice bothers me so much. My dream is to start a LLL down here. I am not legally allowed to do any work paid or unpaid at this point and am waiting for my work exemption to go through- at that point I will look into it further. ANy leads on that would be much appreciated!

April422- Do you think they lied to me about it being just saline? I will not let that slide- that is so wrong! We are in the British Virgin Islands and things are very different here from the US, also the doctor is from Nigeria if that makes a difference in your opinion. Afterwards she told me he would be very hungry and sleepy. I wondered why that was and thought maybe it was just from the extra oxygen??? Thanks for your opinion.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:42 PM

my nearly 4 y/o always nurses lying down and is fine how weird she actually thinks that....

photoblogging crafty Mama to 3 boys (8/04 and twins 08/07)
Old 07-03-2008, 06:45 PM

I guess all of us co-sleeping breastfeeders have sickly babies... My kids are perfectly healthy and do that, thankyouverymuch...
Old 07-04-2008, 01:12 AM

The milk goes in their ears, huh. :

Well, that sure is good to know, since I nursed my son lying down EVERY TIME unless we were away from home. Bed is comfy!
Old 07-04-2008, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckling'sMommy View Post
oh yeah, I've definitely had mamas tell me it works wonders for an ear infection.

I think you handled it well with the "ok ok thanks."

It is incredibly depressing to hear some of the things people say about breastfeeding. I'm so looking forward to being able to bf my 1st this winter! :
Old 07-04-2008, 02:04 AM

i definitely don't think breastmilk or bf position causes ear infections, but had to repsond to a pp that breastmilk is not sterile as it contains bacteria such as probiotics, which is a good thing. yea, it can help clear up infections as it also has antibodies, but it's not sterile.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasJi7 View Post
April422- Do you think they lied to me about it being just saline? I will not let that slide- that is so wrong! We are in the British Virgin Islands and things are very different here from the US, also the doctor is from Nigeria if that makes a difference in your opinion. Afterwards she told me he would be very hungry and sleepy. I wondered why that was and thought maybe it was just from the extra oxygen??? Thanks for your opinion.
I would be surprised if the nebulizer was just saline for congestion. I am an ER nurse and we typically use a med called Albuterol as a nebulizer to help clear the lungs. Some places will use saline nebs for croup but that is a different situation altogether. If he really disliked the neb and was crying/fighting it then he might have been sleepy from that expenditure of energy but albuterol is typically a bit of a stimulant. HTH.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehuggermama View Post
I would be surprised if the nebulizer was just saline for congestion. I am an ER nurse and we typically use a med called Albuterol as a nebulizer to help clear the lungs. Some places will use saline nebs for croup but that is a different situation altogether. If he really disliked the neb and was crying/fighting it then he might have been sleepy from that expenditure of energy but albuterol is typically a bit of a stimulant. HTH.
That does help. Especially knowing that albuterol is a stimulant because he was definitely not stimulated after that. He slept so much of the day- 3 naps instead of 2. I did a quick google search and found that some docs do use just saline. Also if it was the med, I think they would have charged me. DS seems good now, still stuffy but no temp, poopy diapers are normal and he is acting like his happy self.

Thank you Mommas, your experience is so helpful and invaluable for me
Old 07-04-2008, 11:10 AM

As far as I can tell, the baby is pretty much always lying down when breastfeeding. The only difference is if the mother is sitting or lying.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:20 PM

We were told to nurse on the right only at night (So DD was lying on the left - stomach attaches to the left of body so harder to reflux), and preferably not at a complete recline. And there is complete reason for this advice.....If your child has reflux. Which I'm guessing isn't an issue LOL It is normal advice for a child suffering form frequent infections due to reflux (along with meds and thickened feeds) so the advice in and of itself could have merit, but the reasoning behind it was completely wrong. Just an FYI.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kierdan'sMom View Post
We were told to nurse on the right only at night (So DD was lying on the left - stomach attaches to the left of body so harder to reflux), and preferably not at a complete recline. And there is complete reason for this advice.....If your child has reflux. Which I'm guessing isn't an issue LOL It is normal advice for a child suffering form frequent infections due to reflux (along with meds and thickened feeds) so the advice in and of itself could have merit, but the reasoning behind it was completely wrong. Just an FYI.
Yup, exactly-there's a reason for that advice..if you have the medical condition associated, but for a infant who has no medical conditions, than side nursing is fine. I nursed both of my children in that position with no issues.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

Old 07-04-2008, 10:29 PM

We've never had an ear infection and he nurses like that all the time.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:39 PM

Uhm, wow. It always freaks me out when I know more about something medical than the person who is paid to know more than me.

Neither of my kids have ever had an ear infection btw.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasJi7 View Post
Do you think they lied to me about it being just saline?
Probably not. It's pretty common to use plain saline for a case of simple chest congestion. Breathing in moisture helps to loosen the mucus so that baby's coughs are more effective. Same principle as taking a croupy baby into a steamy bathroom.

My DP and youngest DS has asthma so we have nebulizers at home. We usually use them with albuterol when they have asthma symptoms, but everyone in the family has used it with sterile saline when we've had bad coughs or even badly congested sinusus. It's wonderfully soothing.

And the nursing advice just cracks me up! Reminds me of the nurse who told me, after my first was born, not to take a bath till 6 weeks PP because my uterus was still open and bathwater would get in!

computergeek2.gif

Old 07-04-2008, 11:25 PM

I have extended nursed (still nursing my 3 yo) for many moons both of whom nursed lying down most often. Both are uber healthy and perfectly fine..... worry not momma. I was told that the ears tubes are designed to be a little higher up so that generally fluids don't back up anyways. Good luck momma! You are doing fine. And just for arguments sake, my kids both are congested right now too. Doubt it has much to do with nursing position!
Old 07-04-2008, 11:35 PM

I nursed ds side lying every night many times a night for 2 years and he has had one ear infection which his dr said was brought on by exposure to RSV.
Don't listen to her.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :

User Tag List