Can anyone recommend good breastfeeding books to read? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 10-24-2003, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didnt Breastfeed my oldest. I did Breastfeed my second but only for a week or so quit nursing due to sore nipples and my old ped saying dd wasnt gaining weight and I should quit nursing. this time around I would like to be successful and nurse at least a year or so. can anyone recommend breastfeeding books for me to read Thanks Christina

Sorry if this is in the wrong place I didnt know where to post this.

Mom to  Rachel 15 Kimberly 12 Chloe 10 and Nathaniel 8
#2 of 17 Old 10-24-2003, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I like Dr Sears The Breastfeeding Book.

You may want to go to a few LLL meetings to get person-to-person help. Go while you are still pregnant so you can ask any questions you may have, and then feel free to call the leaders once the baby comes if you're having difficulties.
You may want to ask around at the meeting for a pediatrician that supports breastfeeding as well:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/Web/Michigan.html
http://www.lllusa.org/web/ToledoOH.html

(Looks like Sylvania is closest to you).

Good luck. The best way to be successful with breastfeeding is getting information and knowing that you can do it.
#3 of 17 Old 10-24-2003, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the information I will have to do that.

Christina

#4 of 17 Old 10-24-2003, 02:38 PM

I liked The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding.

Your nipples will probably be sore again this time. I the first week was very painful for me and as soon as she would latch on I would have to count in my head to 30 because it seemed like it really only hurt for the first 30 seconds or so then the pain would ease up some. I also would soak my nipples in really warm water as often as I could but filling up plastic cups of warm water and holding them over my nipples at the bathroom sink.

GOOD LUCK - I promise that it will be soo worth it.
#5 of 17 Old 10-24-2003, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I found "The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers" by Jack Newman to be extremely helpful. I had 6 weeks of severe nipple pain nursing my DS, and wish I had read this book sooner. It really helps troubleshoot problems.
#6 of 17 Old 10-24-2003, 08:28 PM

My 2 fav books are:

LLL's Womanly Art of BF
and
Huggin's The Nursing Mothers Companion

Good luck!

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#7 of 17 Old 10-25-2003, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
i'll put in another vote for dr jack newman's book. it is written by a man, which gave me pause initially, but he does it so well. i have the womanly art, too, but i prefer the newman book.

hth and you can do it! definitely check out LLL and CALL THE LEADERS when you have your baby.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#8 of 17 Old 10-26-2003, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My most favorite is So That's What They're For: Breastfeeding Basics. You can get it here:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#9 of 17 Old 10-26-2003, 10:10 AM

You've gotten some great book recommendations! Here's the best website I've found on breastfeeding advice - www.kellymom.com. Tons of information, tons of links. And free! Spend some time getting familiar with it. I have a lot of breastfeeding books but I always check Kellymom first.

Also, you might want to look up a board certified lactation consultant (IBCLC) near you. Here's the directory for Michigan. I would call some near you and find out their rates, their experience, whether they make house calls, etc. so that you have this information on hand before your baby is born.

Congratulations on your decision to nurse your baby! I had a lot of breastfeeding problems starting out, but I am sooooooo happy we were able to work through them. Nursing is wonderful. :bf

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#10 of 17 Old 10-26-2003, 11:33 AM

Can't add much to the good advice above!
Loved "So That's What They're For" myself.

(And check out the Kellymom.com list of books to AVOID such as Baby Whisperer, Babywise, What to Expect series etc.)

Kellymom.com is like a great breastfeeding book...GREAT website. Also http://www.breastfeedingonline.com

(And an IBCLC can help prevent/treat soreness in many cases.)

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#11 of 17 Old 10-26-2003, 12:38 PM

I also highly recommend the kellymom website!
http://www.kellymom.com/index.html
Dr sears also has a website, and his breastfeeding book is really good, too. http://www.askdrsears.com/
I didn't like The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, but I had some serious problems and that book just wasn't the right one for my situation. Friends of mine who either had c-sections or went back to work said they didn't like that book, either. But it's probably a great resource for most women who have uncomplicated births, a breastfeeding-friendly hospital, and who can stay home with their babies.
If you do have problems with breastfeeding, Dr. Jack Newman's book would be the most helpful!
#12 of 17 Old 10-26-2003, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Where can I buy this book dr. newman?

Thanks Christina

#13 of 17 Old 10-26-2003, 10:23 PM

Barnes & Noble has it.
I don't shop amazon.com (bad customer service) but I'm sure they got it as well...
#14 of 17 Old 10-26-2003, 11:33 PM

I hope this link works - you can get it at www.overstock.com for 11.79 plus 1.40 shipping.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#15 of 17 Old 10-27-2003, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the support.

Christina

#16 of 17 Old 10-27-2003, 11:48 AM

p.s. While you're reading up at kellymom.com, check out the Jack Newman handouts she has posted there - the book is great for indepth information, but for quick answers these are invaluable! These would definitely be worth a read now, and hey, you can't beat the price.

http://www.kellymom.com/newman/index.html

#17 of 17 Old 10-28-2003, 05:45 PM

I recommend "So That's What They're For..." - it's a light, funny, informative read. Happy Nursing!

Rachel, married to Andy, mama to Aubrey, Lauren, Sasha, and *surprise* Baby #4, due November, 2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page