Wow! People really feel they have the right to comment about NIP, huh? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-18-2008, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really don't undertand either how people think its their business to offer up coments about this. I mean, a woman can walk around in shorts so tiny that more than half her rear end is hanging out and nodoby will say a word to her. But if a woman is bf and showing no skin at all, people feel they have the right to tell her to cover up. Whats up with that it drives me crazy!!! And you know what else i have noticed (maybe its me here, tell me if i am wrong) its ALWAYS other women that make the ugly comments!!

I get really anx about nip because of people like that! I am in texas where the heat index can be 112 on a normal day. Would YOU want a blanket over your head? I've been nursing in my car with the AC running but i just cant handle doing that whenever my baby is hungry. So from now on I've told my husband to stand right next to me whenever i need to nip. He's nearly 6 in a half feet tall and can look pretty intimidating. Think it will work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2008, 03:59 PM

Sorry you had to deal with that!

I've had only one really bad thing said to me. I was at urgent care because hubby was sick (turned out to be the flu) and me and baby were in waiting area. I was breastfeeding her and I could see out of the corner of my eye these 3 people staring at me. I heard one of them say, "mumble mumble... cover up... mumble mumble..." lol.

Another time, which isn't so bad, is I was at my older daughter's tumbling class at the Y and I was talking to an older lady in a chair next to me. When I started to breastfeed, she just stood right up and walked away. (hehe) I found that a little funny.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:52 AM

The positive comments were really nice.

I got a "disgusting" comment while nursing in a zoo while we were on vacation up north. It was from another mother who was pushing her babe in one of those super expensive Bugaboo strollers. (Which I have no problem with specifically, I was just p.o.'d)

She: *gesturing toward me to her friend* That's disgusting! I would never do that in public.

Me: *with a wide grin on my face* Really? I think throwing a bunch of money away on an ugly a** stroller is disgusting. I would never do that at all!

She walked away swiftly.

But I'm confrontational like that.

Breeder Mama: = wife to an amazing man + mama to J-Bear (07/02) and E-Train (06/08), nanny to Little Bird (07/10).

Old 08-19-2008, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy View Post

I only ever got positive comments. Pissed me off, as I was so prepared with all my wonderful comebacks, and I never got to use them. I must either live in a decent area or I have a vibe!
I know, I am so ready to take on anyone who has anything to say about me nursing, and all I get are sweet smiles and nice comments.
I do love the Australian lady's comment. That's cute.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:55 PM

obviously it's not a surprise since our culture is so boob fascinated. i'm sure other cultures look at us and think ugh, those are for babies, not humans!
Old 08-19-2008, 01:26 PM

I don't know why people feel the need to make mean comments.

I don't get it, WHY are lactation stations closed EVER? There is one at the mall near me. Anytime I go to use it, it is closed. Do babies only get hungry only 9-5 monday through friday? If it is there when the mall is open it should be open. It is just an area closed of with a cheap wall divider, a glider, and magazines on an end table but it is nice for privacy. I don't see why it is necessary to lock. Is someone really going to steal the baby magazine or the chair? I NIP when necessary, but prefer privacy due to a distractable baby.

Good for you for not feeling the need to cover to do a natural act, and to continue even after others said mean things.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:48 PM

I'll be honest, I've never thought twice about NIP, and I've never received a comment. People are very laid-back about it in general - I guess the most I get is from mothers of toddlers who come up and want to say hi to DD - they say, "Not now, the baby is eating." I've actually been surprised at how many people will come up to me and start chatting while I'm NIP.

Is this really unusual? I do live in a more progressive area, so maybe that's why?
Old 08-19-2008, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
OTOH, years ago, before I ever had children, I walked up to talk to a woman at the airport who was NIP, and she told me to get lost. I thought nursing helped relax a woman?!

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Old 08-19-2008, 05:25 PM

It boggles my mind that our society still sees breastfeeding as "disgusting" and "unnatural"!

So many woman find it hard to nurse in public due to the fact other people find it taboo. Breastfeeding is the best thing you can do for your baby and for yourself. How does these people think the human race has survived so long? If our ancestors didn't breastfeed we wouldn't be where we are today.

The main reason why so many people find BF offensive is because our society has made breasts into sex objects. You see and hear it all over the place.

It's really sad because many woman won't even attempt to breastfeed in public. Every woman has the right to feed her baby when and where she wants, I don't care what anyone says!

Stand up for yourself and other BF moms out there, I always spoke up when someone said something to me.
They wouldn't go and eat their lunch in a bathroom would they...no, that's just disgusting. But some people expect mom's who are nursing to hid out in a bathroom to feed there darling little baby.....give me a break!

Keep your chin up, the people that comment have the problem not you!

You're giving you baby the best you can and thats all that matters!
Old 08-20-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damselfly41 View Post
Too bad about the negativity.

I was at the pool while my bigs had swim lessons, and when I began nursing my babe, the lady next to me actually got up and moved.
On the flip side... She could have just gotten up so that she would not be a distraction to the baby. At 11 months, even when hungry, my daugther can get distracted easily. A few mnths ago she did learn that the world continues when she is nursing. Annoys the heck out of me sometimes, not just "fighting" with her to get he to settle and nurse, but when I just want to sit and nap or read or do something totally selfish for me. (I miss it when she BFed exclusively and I could sit and read, nap, etc.)

I digress a bit.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:38 PM

It took a few months (okay, maybe six) for me to feel comfortable NIP. There were/are times I thought it best that I go to a private area for my daughter (i.e., since she's learned that the world goes on, before that when I thought the situation was too noisy/busy, etc., even when I knew I would be more comfortable for her if we were in a quiet area), but other times, I just wasn't comfortable with it yet. Now, I've no qualms with it. I know people have noticed what I've been doing, even men, but no negetive comments. (The one time I thought a man figured out what I was doing, he was with his wife and kids and I figured he figured it out from his wife BFing.) I've nursed he at restaurants while talking to the waiter and waitress. I did that once and at the table next to me was a mother bottle feeding he child. That didn't bother me, for all I knew, it could have been pumped milk. What bothered me was that the baby was in his stroller and the mother washolding the bottle with one hand and looking at her dining companions and eating with the other. She didn't sem to be paying much attention to her son. She did eventually pick him up to burp him, though. I made the mistake of wearing a blouse instead of a pullover shirt that day. (Pullover golf shirts and Ts cover more.) I did have a blanket. My daughter was both hungry and thirsty (we spent a couple of hours at Niagara Falls; We were at the Hard Rock Cafe which was louder than what remember it being) and stayed put. Even with a few seconds of full exposure, I think I still bared less breasts than what she did. I said something to my husband who also appreciated the irony.

Awhile ago I was at a grocery store with a deli section and I was sitting at a table trying to nurse my daughter. At one point when she was staying put, I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned, expecting it to be my husband. I saw an older woman who said that she was a lactation consultant and gave me a positive, "You go, girl!". I laughed and thanked her as she walked away.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:30 PM

Ive been NIP for almost 9 weeks now, and ive never had any positive or negative comments or any overt reactions either.

Like a couple of other posters, i almost dissapointed that i havent had the opportunity to lash out with some breastfeeding information/return rudeness/cold stare as the situation calls for.

If anything my mom is freaked out by it, not me. When i took DS for his pediatrician checkup, a man walked in with his daughter and sat down fairly nearby. I was wearing a nursing shirt but not covered up. My mom said in a really loud whisper "there is a guy RIGHT THERE". Equally as loud i whispered back "I DONT CARE!!". Since then ive nursed all over the place.

Like another poster mentioned, i also feel it is somewhat my duty to breastfeed whenever and wherever i am to normalize it as much as possibly. If i can encourage one other person to do so, then great!!

I am a big surprised that no one ever reacts. I never see other women NIP around here, but maybe it is more common than i see??
Old 08-20-2008, 09:44 PM

"Wow, did you know having NO MANNERS is "nasty"?"
Old 08-20-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babysanchez614 View Post
obviously it's not a surprise since our culture is so boob fascinated. i'm sure other cultures look at us and think ugh, those are for babies, not humans!
wait, babies aren't humans? :

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
Old 08-21-2008, 07:45 AM

i hate it when people are rude! I dont get very many comments, and when i do its usually someone saying "good for you". but like you when i do get a mean one i dont say anything and ignore it or i give them an evil look..they stop!

Stacy: Mommy 2: S, N, F, and : edd 1/12/11 praying for : or maybe : if DH will come around!

User Tag List